CDR-info review of the 812

vbimport

http://www.cdrinfo.com/Sections/Articles/Specific.asp?ArticleHeadline=LiteOn+SOWH-812S&index=12

Pros

8x DVD+R/-R writing
4x DVD+RW/-RW writing
40/24/40 CD-RW
DAE speed
Good CD/DVD Error correction
Fast DVD Video read
CD-R Overburning up to 99min
Support of 90/99min discs
Fast writing DVD
Can playback and rip audio protected media

Cons

Low CD/DVD Writing quality with specific media
Increased 3T jitter
Cannot backup latest SafeDisc builds

My 411S can’t do new Safedisc either.

If you notice, they used firmware US0A for their tests…

Originally posted by Ssseth
My 411S can’t do new Safedisc either.

I wonder if it’s a software thing, as OC’s 811S review said that newer Safediscs fail w/ CloneCD, but work w/ BW.

Perhaps.

I tried Alcohol, Burnatonce and Disc juggler.
It was my first attempt at trying to circumvent copy protection so perhaps I missed something. I thought I had the options right… but who knows I guess. I ended up using my 40125S and it worked like a charm so I didn’t worry about it.

BTW, I expect OC’s 812S review to be popping up any day now :bigsmile:

Probably… Whens the last time that CloneCD has been updated? Since going to SlySoft (due to DMCA type laws in Olli’s country), there really hasnt been any updates…

Originally posted by Ssseth
BTW, I expect OC’s 812S review to be popping up any day now :bigsmile:

:bigsmile: :slight_smile: :smiley: :cool:

A possibility to bypass the copy protection is to create images of the original CDs and burn them on a DVD.

Then you can mount these images with Daemon Tools. This has the advantage that Daemon Tools emulates the copy protection and the game should run without any patches or modifications.

So I do not care any more for the “backup Safedisc capabilities” of a drive.

actually reads the review

Ick. This is a bad review!

1. The backup tests were done with CloneCD, and OC has already shown in his various reviews that CloneCD doesn’t work with newer Safediscs… yet CDRInfo decided that it’d be cute to blame it on the drive. :Z

2. There seems to be major issues with DVD quality. Notably, the frequent spiking. We’ve seen problems like this before with the _11S drives, and it seems like every time, we narrow the problem down to something else that’s not drive-related.

Originally posted by code65536
[B]actually reads the review

Ick. This is a bad review![/B]

Are you surprised? It is cdrinfo after all! :stuck_out_tongue:

I find their reviews useful and elaborated. Okay, they are not perfect but give me quite enough information. I noticed long ago that they use CloneCD for SD2 backup tests and therefore did not give a damn about these tests. But all of their reviews contain interesting and relevant information, for example the KProbe scans. I also like it that they update their site with new reviews quite frequently.

I would also prefer the reviews at cdfreaks, but cdrinfo is not bad, either. If you read the expensive German computer magazines, for example PC Welt, Chip or PC Professionell, you would see how a bad review looks like. Cdrinfo is thousand times better than these magazines.

Originally posted by easy-going-man
If you read the expensive German computer magazines, for example PC Welt, Chip or PC Professionell, you would see how a bad review looks like. Cdrinfo is thousand times better than these magazines.

Lol, it’s not just German PC mags that have great reviews.
U should see the aussie versions…

I suspect that certain parts of the discussion were actually discarded by the editor for sponsorship reasons. These comments will be inserted and indicated by

“We loved this drive. It has very impressive specifications for a drive released 12 months after every other manufacturers similarly spec’d drive . We never actually tested this drive, but the manufacturers assured us it’s quiter, faster and overall higher quality than all the products of other companies out there. They also paid for dinner and a very expensive bottle of wine Overall, we gave this drive 4 1/2 Stars * Note that this magazine uses a 100 star rating system:)”

Hmmmmmm

Sounds like APC

I don’t even wast my time reading the aussie PC mag’s reviews:Z :Z :Z , it’s all Chinese to me :confused: . they give the best reviews to some of the biggest crap , and on top of that you pay $ 7.50 for a magazine full of adds :a