CDR/DVD Combo question

vbimport

I’m going to get a CDR/DVD combo, and am after a bit advice. I thought I’d settled on the Samsung - 52x write 16xDVD, but I am a bit concerned over a review that stated that it didnt like playing DVD+RW/-RW, and that unless you did a firmware jiggle it only wrote at 40x

A bit (or a LOT would be better !) of advice would be appreciated !:bow: :bigsmile: :bigsmile: :stuck_out_tongue:

Well…not much help on this forum, is there ? :confused: :stuck_out_tongue:

More than likely it’s because nobody has an experience of the drive to offer. Most of the active posters here are now using DVD writers.

David

Originally posted by DavidW
More than likely it’s because nobody has an experience of the drive to offer. Most of the active posters here are now using DVD writers.
David

As am I (Sony 500A) but decided to get a combo too. Just thought there#'d be at least one fellow traveller !

There probably is - me!

I’m considering replacing my Lite On LTD-163 DVD-ROM (Dell OEM) with a Lite ON SOHC-5232K combo - it would team up with my NEC ND-2500A DVD writer, and my Plextor PX-W1210TS SCSI CD-RW (used mainly to write audio CDs).

I’ve finally tracked down one supplier that sells black SOHC-5232K drives in the UK - see http://www.computerdoctorservice.co.uk/products/optica.html. However, the price is really a more than I’d like to pay (GBP45 - I can get a ND-2500A for around GBP60), and I don’t need a retail kit (I already have more than enough screws and cables, and I also have a bought full copy of Nero 6).

I’m also worried by the ‘bulge’ in the bezel. My Dell Precision 650 has a drive bay door that that bulge would probably prevent closing. The OEM Lite On DVD-ROM has a totally flat face, which works perfectly.

There’s very little information to be found about the Samsung. I’m no great fan of HL-DT-ST drives (though there is the GCC-4521B). There’s also the Sony CRX-320E (which I suspect may be a rebadged Lite On, but I’m not sure - if anyone can confirm that, I’d be interested).

It seems that combo drives are disappearing from the marketplace - which is a shame, because they tend to be better CD writers than DVD writers are.

David

Originally posted by DavidW
[B]I’m also worried by the ‘bulge’ in the bezel. My Dell Precision 650 has a drive bay door that that bulge would probably prevent closing. The OEM Lite On DVD-ROM has a totally flat face, which works perfectly.

There’s also the Sony CRX-320E (which I suspect may be a rebadged Lite On, but I’m not sure - if anyone can confirm that, I’d be interested).
David [/B]

Your forward thinking on the bulge does you credit !
I have heard from a number of sources that the Sony is, indeed the Liteon and can be updated by Liteon firmware, which aparantly makes it a better writer !