CDFreaks & Tracking Cookies + Popups!

I just noted that my Ad-Watch blocked four tracking cookies and a popup in opening this site. I really do like this site but that really isn’t cool at all!

Karl :frowning: :frowning: :frowning:

shrugs

Use firefox. It blocks popups. Or update Internet explorer. The new verison with XP sp2 block popups automatically also.

I’ve never realised cdfreaks uses popups. I’ve always had a popup blocker, and my browser is set to block cookies :slight_smile:

I also block the popups but have just recently started blocking tracking cookies. I’ve been wondering where all thes types of cookies come from on my PC but now I know and it sucks! I know it is hard to keep a site in the black but the cookies are a massive intrusion!

Karl

Keep in mind that many sites also have a legitmate use for cookies, ie to retain your user password & login so you don’t need to do it all the time :stuck_out_tongue:

Cdfreaks for instance :stuck_out_tongue:

FYI, e.g. Google Toolbar & Ad-Aware’s Ad-Watch blocks that kinda…hmm… “stuff”, too.
But that’s not the case here, as far as I can tell.

@kaps,

I’ve been aware of that for a pretty long time.

In my opinion many spyware things are hyped and overdone to make users scared and to have them buy and use anti spyware software. Popups are used to generate revenue for the site so we can cover expenses, we show them and in return you are able to read our website for free. I therefore would kindly ask everyone to allow popups for our website. Our forum (the normal forum) is popup free and will remain popup free as long as it’s economically feasible (which is hopefully forever).

The ‘tracking cookies’ are nothing more and nothing less then cookies of our own adserver and those of advertising agency ones. These are set to ensure that you do not see the same advertisement time after time and e.g. to set a limit on how many times you’ve seen a popup. Of course we also use cookies to store your username and password so you don’t have to login each time you visit our website.

As a webmaster and knowing what is going on behind the scenes I would not be too afraid for cookies as long as you fill in your personal information at trustworthy websites. The ‘tracking cookies’ will not be able to track much when they don’t know your personal information, the only thing they can do is to show you advertisements that match your surfing behaviour but that’s not really scary if they don’t know your real name…

I would like to attest to what DoMiN8ToR said, and that there are no malicious tracking spyware/malware cookies here at cdfreaks. I have been doing some extensive testing and looking into this subject, some of the members and visitors here have possibly seen or read about this already (if you haven’t, check here) and yes, cdfreaks, I will say it once again, is clean as far as any malcious cookie content is concerned.

Someone pointed that out recently.
Adwatch & Google toolbar don’t block cdfreaks popups :wink:

Of course, not. I DO believe you !

Acronis popup stopper does tho :slight_smile: