CDFreaks presents the SONY DRU-810A DVD Burner review

Check the review here: http://www.cdfreaks.com/article/238

Please comment on the review in this thread. :wink:

FYI: We left a redirect in the BenQ forum and decided to post the announcement here in the SONY DVD Burner Forum.

Congratulations to zevia on his first review!

Agreed!! Very thorough and caught a lot of the differences that would be important to readers here.

Very good review, zevia :slight_smile:

Question: Was your Verbatim-media made in Taiwan, India or Singapore?

Overall it seems to be a nice writer, really amazing PI-results from Ritek R03.

But the high total numbers of PIF with Verbatim MKM 001 don´t looks nice, yes I know it´s much overspeeded :wink:

And Sony (or Benq) must improve the writing-quality with Optodisc RW-media, the total PIF-count don´t looks nice.

Congratulations Zevia for very good review and contribution to this community.

Thanks

Thanks everyone. :flower:

Verbatim DVD+R DL and DVD-R DL are made in Singapore, while the single layers DVD±Rs are made in Taiwan.

Excellent review zevia. :slight_smile: Add another top notch reviewer to the cdfreaks list. :wink:

shouldn’t it be in the Benq forum?

It’s a Sony isn’t it? and are we in the Sony forum ???

yes but its rebaged Benq 1640 isn’t it

So is the Plextor 740 but it’s not in the BenQ forum. Let’s leave it at that for now and not mess up this thread. :wink:

Hi :slight_smile:
Yeah but no, but yeah, but no, but yeah, but no, but yeah, but Tracy said she wouldn’t, would she?. But yeah & what about Trevor & yeah, but no. Got a fag.
(If you’ve not seen Little Britian then this means nothing to you)
See post # 2 this thread. It is what it says on the label. Where would you look for a Plextor 740?

Oh yeah, but without the no great review zevia. :clap: :clap: :clap:

despite the futile argument
its a great review
and sorry to every body

Great review zevia. Congratulation. :clap:

Indeed, this is the most in-depth review of the DRU-810A that I have seen, and I’ve read most if not all of the reviews that exist of this drive – CDRLabs, HardwareZone, AnandTech, ExtremeTech, and the less detailed reviews by Smart Computing and PC World. I even viewed a translated version of cdr.cz’s Czech review. But the CD Freaks review blows the others away, especially in its analysis of the drive’s writing quality with different types and brands of media. It is in my mind the definitive review of this drive. (CDRLabs is the runner-up, but it’s not that close.)

If I were to nitpick, I’d say that there are a few places where Zevia’s writing could be tidied up, but he almost always describes the drive and its test results accurately and clearly.

I really have to hand it to Zevia for doing an exceptionally thorough job as a first-time reviewer. This review is truly worthy of the Freaks name.

Excellent review zevia. Congrats. :slight_smile:

Great review~

review suxs…
lost most control of my fingers so pleaqe bear with me, it hurts like hell 2 type.

I received this drive from NEwegg a few days ago. it came with 1.0a firmware. I had to update the drives firmware to 1.0D.
I used the same verbatim DVD+R DL media (thats why I bought the drive after reading it burn this media at 8x) well sure enough inserted the disk in Nero 7 which recognized the Media at 8x. Burnt the media and yep it finished in record tie about 16 minutes.
But when testing the burn failed miserably and get this the drive wouldnt read the media at all- had to insert it in my Liteon SOHW-1633S just to read it and test it…
Then I burnt the same Verbatim DVD+R DL media at 4x(it only showed burn speeds of 2x,4x 8x) again i tried reading the burn in the Sony DRU-80A with no luck. stuck it in my Liteon it read and tested perfectly. theni tried a few DVD-R DL RiData Blanks. again the same thing, the drive refused to read any DL media and with the DVD-r DL media it wouldnt even burn to it. it would stop just short of the burn and fail.

this drive suxs. its not like i’m a newbie, im a Computer Engineer with plenty of experience. This drive is horrible.

lost most control of my fingers so pleaqe bear with me, it hurts like hell 2 type.
follow up:
Sony sent another drive and neweg said they’d RMA the drive. But i had aleady sent it to Sony. they were very kind admitting the statement about tryinhg the drive in PIO mode was pretty dumb u certainly couldnt run thatway. I did not update the frirmware oon this new drive and buring DD+R DL disks is pretty fast. Hopefully i Just had a bad drive. Picked up a Liteon SHW-1606S too just to play with… I do appreciae both Newegg and Sony bothat least tredto come2 my aidas fast as possibloe and I got thenewdrive in a week or less from Sony. The Lite-on s ot bad either…

Maybe you should crossflash it to BenQ 1640 :wink: