CDFreaks presents: The Samsung SH-S182D Review

CDFreaks presents: The Samsung SH-S182D Review

You can find it here: http://www.cdfreaks.com/reviews/Samsung-SH-S182D-DVD-Writer-Review

Feel free to comment the review in this thread.

Thank you for the review.

I am slightly disappointed that it won’t over speed 8x media, but the burn quality
on TY and Verbatim is outstanding.

I don’t have a concern with the other negatives as this drive is just a burner for me
but I can see others having issues with the read speeds.

Overall I love this drive.

Great review, however i was hoping to see a test with the new SB03 firmware. I’m curoius if they were any improvements DVD-R writing.

Sorry I don’t have anything to report I only use TYG02, but with SB03 it burns superb!

pretty nice drive & inexpensive unlike the 1st 18x drive :wink:

Excellent review and nice drive. :clap: Now if only it was able to read faster and overclock media, hmmm.

Thanks Jan70. :flower:

Seems thats more work ( fun ) for Codeking. :iagree:

excellent review Jan (as always) :wink:

Hi molnart, and welcome to our forum.

[B]Changes from SB02 to SB03:[/B]

[ul]DVD-RAM improvement
[li]Sony CD-RW Write Strategy change to improve the recording quality
[/li][*]Improved the write ability for 18x speed writing mode[/ul]

[quote=“Jan70”]
Hi molnart, and welcome to our forum.

[ul]DVD-RAM improvement
[/li][li]Improved the write ability for 18x speed writing mode[/ul][/li][/quote]

Thank you. Just from curiousity, where did you get that changelog from ? A didn’t found anything on the Samasung site.

I get the changes from the Samsung firmware developer team. :flower:

Thanks for the review, Jan. Very impressive drive, look at those RicohR03 results! And this is a Mediatek drive,isn’t it? Never thought an MTK chipset drive could get this good!

Yes, the drive should use the MTK MT1898E chipset from MediaTek, together with the Drive IC from Renesas (R2S30204FP). The used Laser Diode should be from Sharp (GH16P24A8C3) or Sony (SLN255SL).

Nice one.

The 183L is now listed under firmware updates, but not yet in the products range. Weird, eh.

Great writeup. I’m thinking about life after the 1640 and this may be my next purchase.

[quote=“Jan70”]

[ul]DVD-RAM improvement
[/li][li]Improved the write ability for 18x speed writing mode[/ul][/li][/quote]

HI! :bigsmile: my first post heehe.

Last week I bought the Samsung writer and updated the firmware to SB02, but now that I noticed this post I got surprised, I didn’t know SB03 was already released because it is not on their site, where can I find it? Is this one Official?

Thank you Very Much! :clap:

This firmware is only available with the online update utility.
But Codeking have a mirror here: http://codeguys.rpc1.org/firmwares/dvdrw/stock/SH-S182D.SB03.stock.rar

Thank you, I forgot to tell you I was able to find it in another site, anyway, the mirror above will help people find it faster.

[B]Bá tche! hehehe valeu mesmo Zhadoom [/B] :slight_smile:

Hehe :iagree:

Can spmeone explain what are the differences between the Samsung SH-S182D and the Samsung SH-S182M? Probably none but why the M instead of a D? :confused: