CDFreaks Presents: The Nero 8 "StartSmart" First Look

vbimport

CDFreaks Presents: The Nero 8 “StartSmart” First Look - a brief overview of the StartSmart portion of Nero 8.

The article can be found here.

As always, feel free to comment on the article or the software here in this thread. :slight_smile:

Very good software for a first look Arachne, congratulations on an excellent job!

Nice review!

I just received an e-mail offer to upgrade to Nero 8 ultra for $63.99 and receive a second copy for free. I agree that the new features and some of the old features may be a little difficult to find until you get used to it, but 7 Ultra is much better than 6, IMHO. I’ll buy it to be able to get that Sonic garbage off my wife’s new laptop.

Will this version allow you to make changed to a .iso file? Copy, edit and replace batch files in a bootable image as an example.

I heard a lot of complaints from people about not being able to find things in Nero 7 Ultra. Some people just don’t like change. Personally I like change as long as it’s not just to make it look prettier and force upgrades, like MS Office 2007.

Hi Drum :slight_smile:

As it was just a brief overview, I didn’t try that out, but I can give it a go sometime tomorrow :slight_smile:

Nero 8 is crap! It does not do any time of compressiona dn when I called their customer non-support line – there was NO SUPPORT! So I am telling everyone I know that this product is crap!

They have a [B]30 day free trial period[/B], if you did not use that to evaluate the program, then whose fault is it that you purchased it?

[QUOTE=Nero_Is_Crap;2087254]Nero 8 is crap! It does not do any time of compressiona dn when I called their customer non-support line – there was NO SUPPORT! So I am telling everyone I know that this product is crap![/QUOTE]

Sorry, I’m not familear with that feature or function, or your description of it, but I have had no problems at all with Nero 8 Ultra, but I have not been able to get to all the advanced features yet. I have found it to be easier to use than 7 Ultra though.

Nero used to be top notch software, but starting in v6 they started to add bunch of bloatware although if you just installed the burn engine and recode + vision you were OK.

However with v8 they added call home queue so you can only install on one machine. That by itself would be OK with me, but the implementation they have sucks. I had multiple problems where I had pop-up come up asking if I re-installed after the software froze or hang up. After few of these pop-ups the software would not work and I had to e-mail Nero to get it unflagged.

There also was a problem with corruption of the install, and Vision still running in background after closing the program and eating lot of resources. I finally got fed up and reverted back to v7.

Bloatware shouldn’t be a factor with today’s high speed and high capacity PC’s. The change looks nice, but it still isn’t enough to bring me back to Nero. I think Nero makes a good product I used it with no faults for many years, but I’ve just become accustomed to other applications to do the same thing and some cases better and faster.

[QUOTE=LOCOENG;2099820]Bloatware shouldn’t be a factor with today’s high speed and high capacity PC’s. The change looks nice, but it still isn’t enough to bring me back to Nero. I think Nero makes a good product I used it with no faults for many years, but I’ve just become accustomed to other applications to do the same thing and some cases better and faster.[/QUOTE]

Like which app?

That would be apps (plural). DVD Shrink to replace Recode, Imgburn to replace Burning Rom/Express, DVD Flick to replace Vision etc.

How can I check to see if my 7 Ultra has the latest engines installed? If I run the nero update wizard it wants to install a whole new version which i’m sure will cost me and which I’m pretty sure I don’t want…

You can go to their website and look at the updates that are available.

I decided to spend the $50 to upgrade. If you have a licensed version and are registered you should be getting e-mails about upgrade deals.

By the way they are on Nero 9 now.

I haven’t had time to play with it much but I will try to do something tonight.