CDFreaks Presents: The Memorex 8GB MEGA Travel Drive Review

We at CDFreaks are proud to present the Memorex 8GB MEGA Travel Drive Review

Please feel free to comment on the review in this thread.

You can read the thereview here

Very nice review crossg! :clap:

Cross compatibility allows the transfer of files between different operating systems very quickly and the drive is bootable.
I wonder how useful having a bootable USB drive or Travel Drive for daily use?

Good question. We wanted to see if this drive was bootable even though it is not advertised by Memorex as a bootable drive. For every day use I doubt this feature would come in handy but some users may not have Floppy drives and or Optical drives available to them for use with bootable discs (Floppy/CD’s), so this drive can be used to boot a troublesome Operating System or run a DOS based applications or diagnostics utilities.

Excellent review crossg. :slight_smile:

Looks like a welcome to the review team is in order now as well. :clap:

Congratulation to your first review crossg. :clap:

Any information about make and model of micro drive used by Memorex.

Not to take anything away from your work crossg, and many reviewers have made the same before you, but some (jpg) images could be better if saved with .png extention.

BTW, anyone searching for a good compact USB2 storage can also take a look at Iomega

I hope Memorexs drives are better than their medias.

Indeed, this future/option can come handy in many situations.
But this is nothing new, even my old Corsair 256MB memory flash here at work has this option. (Can’t say why we use this, but it’s for sure not to boot into troublesome compus… :bigsmile: )

BTW crossg, any information about USB2 controller used in Memorex micro drive?
My Corsair uses Prolific PL-2518, with access time of 0.8ms and ~13.8MB/s av. transfer rate.

off topic
Attaching pic of Corsair Flash Voyager utility, boot disk option.

Thanks! I remember that a while ago I delayed updating the BIOS of one of my older PC since I don’t have a working floopy drive!

off topic

If you have a CD/DVD reader you just create a bootable CD. Part of any burning application. :wink:
But if you like it the hard way, here’s a link.

Seems I may have to eat those words.:wink: What I had had in mind although I just tested and couldn’t get it to work. Here is what I tried: Made the drive bootable then copied the Windows XP install disc to the drive thinking I could run the install from the C: Prompt and get into the Recovery and or Repair console for fixing/repairing MBR and so, but had no joy getting it to run the Windows setup. Maybe I am not trying the right command. Even so you can run DOS based utilities with this drive. I will also give your app a try when I get a chance.

BTW crossg, any information about USB2 controller used in Memorex micro drive?
My Corsair uses Prolific PL-2518, with access time of 0.8ms and ~13.8MB/s av. transfer rate.

I will try and find out.:slight_smile:

Originally Posted by alan1476
I hope Memorexs drives are better than their medias.

@alan1476, I was actually quite impressed with the quality and design of this drive.

Sorry all for taking this thread a little of topic… :slight_smile:

Hmm… that sounds to advanced for me :bigsmile: . Maybe you didn’t mount the “right” drive.

Anyway, I’m able to boot into pure doze with my Corsair and flash my BenQ without a issue. (see attachment).
I’ll try what you are up to at a later time. (Busy right now watching OG.)

Note picture in .jpg. For some unknown reason this image gets 300MB when saved in .png…

Although I’d hate to take an old topic off-topic, I have a 6GB version of this drive and the USB connector snapped off. Two of the pins ripped out, meaning that I’d need to solder them back in, so any tips on opening the case of this without much damage?

I hate to break the news but any USB device that shows up as a “umass-device” (USB mass storage device) is bootable as long as your BIOS supports it (this includes MP3-players). HP as an example provides a utility for making an USB-key/memory bootable with MS-DOS.
As for performance how is less than 10 Mbyte/s good? It’s pretty bad to be honest… :confused:
See http://www.xbitlabs.com/articles/memory/print/4gb-usbflash-roundup.html if you’re wondering what I mean.

//Danne

:confused: This person wants to fix their drive not that advice. But it is useful for someone but i already knew it :rolleyes:

I guess you are replying to over a year ago or more post?

Bah, I’m tired :wink:
At least its good to know :slight_smile:
//Danne

I read your advice all the time. Thank you. You must be tired :wink:

Since the topic was already here, I thought it best not to create a new one, despite the obvious shortcomings of such a thing. I’ve taken it apart; the actual casing came apart easily once I pulled hard enough, but the flip-out piece that once housed the connector took a Dremel to open. I needed to get inside of there, so I suppose I’ll try resoldering the leads once I can buy a new tip for my soldering iron. Luckily, on the USB pins, the solder remained, so it may just be as simple as reheating the solder and pushing the wires back onto it.