CDFreaks Presents : The Mad Dog MD-16XDVD9-8X DVD Burner Review

CDFreaks Presents : The Mad Dog MD-16XDVD9-8X Review

You can read the review here
Please feel free to make any comments on the review in this thread.

Thanks!

Can you explain the choice of the BenQ DW 1640 to be the read graph drive? I have this drive myself and can say the error correction is next to excellent. If you look here … (http://club.cdfreaks.com/showthread.php?t=160909)- post 7 in particular… you can see that even the worst discs won’t produce a read error … and that drive is very resistant to slowing down anyway! … The old XJ-166s that I have is the one that struggles with discs with reflectivity issues and jitter issues as well - and would be more indicative because only the best discs can reach 16x on that. On that note - the scan posted causes a read error at ~3GB on the 166s

Nice review, Dee :slight_smile:

The burn-quality with DVD R looks fine, with RW too.

Did I miss this some where? Is this a rebag 4550 or 1640 or 16##?

It’s just a rebadged 3540.

It’s just a rebadged 3540.

Then why DVD-RW is 6x in my nec3540 DVD-RW 4x :o

Because of Mad Dogs own firmware?! :smiley:

Liggy! A newbie supposedly used your drive checker and this model came up as a 4550! I sent him your way!

And what should I do with him? If my drive converter tells him that he has a 4550 then it probably really is a 4550 (or compatible) drive. He can use any of the available NEC ND4550A Firmwares. Nothing more and nothing less.

Cool dude!

Thanks for the input guys.

I’m not the author of the review, i only did some editing and a summary.
Only the author can answer some of these questions.

why duplicate the review of a 3540? why not a 3550 or otehr newer drive?

cnlson,
Because that is the drive model that Mad Dog sent out for review. No other reason than that…
I’m sure you realize that Mad Dog does not just slap the drives in the box, they do have their own custom versions of firmware and therefore can be either better or worse than the NEC labled drives. So that in itself makes it worth reviewing their drives as many people purchase them unknowing that it is really an “NEC inside”.

lui_gough,
My choice for using the BenQ DW 1640 was for reasons of consistency in the transfer rate testing. In previous reviews the transfer tests were done using two different drives because the 3500 couldn’t read the RW media at high speeds and the Plex 712 was used as it could read the RW media at a higher speed.
I agree that the BenQ drives are very proficient readers but they will still choke on badly burned media.

Thanks for that reply, personally - if a BenQ can read it [if u’ve read my benq readback of that horrid scan] that’s not good enough for me personally. I have things that standalones can’t read and the BenQ can, but I do agree that an UNRECOVERABLE through ALL MEANS disc will not read in a BenQ, but the BenQ is my primary recovery drive - hence it seems a little un-nerving that that “the disc be recoverable” be the criterion … sorry - that’s just my view.

ok i get that… it just seemed strange having 2 reviews of essentially the same drive

I’m sure you realize that Mad Dog does not just slap the drives in the box, they do have their own custom versions of firmware and therefore can be either better or worse than the NEC labled drives. So that in itself makes it worth reviewing their drives as many people purchase them unknowing that it is really an “NEC inside”.
agreed. from my experience the maddog firmwares seem to be the best stock firmwares and make great modified firmwares.

please understand i was not knocking the review, i assumed it was more cutting edge hardware from MD. then when i compared the 3540 and the MD review i noticed that they had the same build date which i was guessing made them the same drive but i couldn’t tell as the nec equiv model was not listed.

Yes, you are right. That was an oversight in the review not revealing the true drive under the name plate…

no biggie. we all know now :wink:

If the MD-16XDVD9-8X is a ND4550A, then what is the MD-16X3DVD9-8X that CC is selling? I just ordered a MD-16XDVD9-8X because I wanted a ND4550A. Did I order the wrong MD drive? :doh: