Cdfreaks presents Pioneer DVR-107D Review

Well, here it finally is. Check it out here

This is probably the most time consuming review I’ve ever made due to the fact that I’ve re-done many tests with new firmwares and such.

I have been in contact with Pioneer several times regarding the issues I had as well. And to be honest I was a bit disappointed by the results. Having the Pioneer DVR-106D here and after reviewing the NEC ND-2500A the expectations for this drive was really high. And not to mention it is a Pioneer. So it disappoints me a bit as well to see so many weaknesses.

But there you go! Feel free to comment here as constructive criticism is always good.

Also a big thanks to rdgrimes, who looked over it and fixed my worst grammar and spelling errors :wink:

Fixed a couple grammer problems in your post OC. :bigsmile: (You’re gonna be sorry you started this).

For those who like to look for errors in spelling or grammer in reviews, I deliberately left 14 errors in the review just for you. :wink:
The first person to correctly identify all 14 errors will recieve the reviewed burner absolutely free. All you have to do is go to Norway and get it. :bigsmile:

Seriously, many thanks to OC for sticking with the review and finishing it when it was so very difficult. I would not have been so patient.

Originally posted by rdgrimes
[B]Fixed a couple grammer problems in your post OC. :bigsmile: (You’re gonna be sorry you started this).

For those who like to look for errors in spelling or grammer in reviews, I deliberately left 14 errors in the review just for you. :wink:
The first person to correctly identify all 14 errors will recieve the reviewed burner absolutely free. All you have to do is go to Norway and get it. :bigsmile:

Seriously, many thanks to OC for sticking with the review and finishing it when it was so very difficult. I would not have been so patient. [/B]

He! He! It’s “grammar.”:bow: :bow:

Now there are still 13 errors to find for you Alexandre :bigsmile:
But I think OC-Freak should write his next reviews in Norwegian and let rdgrimes translate them :iagree:

Originally posted by Liggy
Now there are still 13 errors to find for you Alexandre :bigsmile:
But I think OC-Freak should write his next reviews in Norwegian and let rdgrimes translate them :iagree:

:bigsmile:

Now THAT would be really fun! :iagree:

Pleased i got the NEC 2500a in the end, and saved £25. working
great so far

…Though it’s probably not going to boost Pioneer’s sales. Let’s hope they surprise us with future firmware updates.

Business tip to Pioneer…pile those warehouses high with surplus drives then release the dual layer firmware …you know you want to! :wink: :iagree: :iagree: :iagree:

Hello,

I have a Pioneer DVR-107D and patched the firmware to vers. 1.05 - Rpc 1 (not official). I’ve written (with Nero 6) about 50 DVD’s - brand: MCI4XG01 - printable at 8 speed without any problems. They play normally on several dvd-players.
On the review is written :'Another very low quality disc type. The Pioneer is one of the few writers that have been able to create a readable disc at 4x speed. But we will for sure never recommend these discs to anyone. ’

A friend of mine hase the same burner and firmware without out any problems.

So is it only the firmware that makes the differents??

greetings

Originally posted by thermokoppel
[B]Hello,

I have a Pioneer DVR-107D and patched the firmware to vers. 1.05 - Rpc 1 (not official). I’ve written (with Nero 6) about 50 DVD’s - brand: MCI4XG01 - printable at 8 speed without any problems. They play normally on several dvd-players.
On the review is written :'Another very low quality disc type. The Pioneer is one of the few writers that have been able to create a readable disc at 4x speed. But we will for sure never recommend these discs to anyone. ’

A friend of mine hase the same burner and firmware without out any problems.

So is it only the firmware that makes the differents??

greetings [/B]

Could also be the discs (maybe they have improved in quality now).

I had same results with v 1.05 with these discs, so it’s not the firmware.

Wow, great work as always OC! :iagree:

I had the NEC 2500A (which OC obviously likes better) and switched it for a Pioneer 107.

I live in Toronto and the Ridata G04’s are the most popular decent quality bulk DVD-R available here.

The NEC 2500A refused to write well on these even at 4 speed.

The 107, on the other hand, handles them just fine at 6 speed and decently at 8 speed as well.

So for my needs, and using my media, the 107 was a better writer.

I use a Liteon 166S for reading.

I seem to recall that the 105 had similar problems with a lot of media in the early days. Now it’s probably the best 4x -R drive I’ve come across, with the exception of the 106.

I’ve found the drive to be a lot more compatible than the 106 to be honest, and I have a lot of garbage media here :slight_smile:

“Serious problems writing 24x Ultra Speed CD-RW discs”

I used the 107d with 24x CD-RW many times and I NEVER had a problem. Either reading them with the 107d or with the CD-ROMs of my customers (old 32x to new 52x).

Thats a weird review, while reading it, I felt like it was written by someone working for NEC …

Bag

Originally posted by Bagbug2
[B]“Serious problems writing 24x Ultra Speed CD-RW discs”

I used the 107d with 24x CD-RW many times and I NEVER had a problem. Either reading them with the 107d or with the CD-ROMs of my customers (old 32x to new 52x).

Thats a weird review, while reading it, I felt like it was written by someone working for NEC …

Bag [/B]

LOL, working for NEC, after seing my next review you’ll prabably say I’m working for NU Tech (Yes my next review will be of the NU DDW-082 drive) since I will give it some positive words :stuck_out_tongue:

Seriously…what discs did you use? I’ve only used 2 types of 24x CD-RW discs so far - and got problems with both.

great review OC-Freak! :bow:
let’s hope Pioneer reads it and actually tries to fix the problems this drive still has.
the fact that the A06 still beats it with some media should really be taken seriously by them.

OC-Freak, all your previous reviews were good, but this one is weird…
“…Brand: Verbatim DataLifePlus
Manufacturer: Mitsubishi Kagaku Media
Code: MKM A02
Disc Type: DVD+RW

Disappointing to see discs from such a large manufacturer not being supported. The drive was unable to detect the disc.”

That are you talking about??? What drive you have tested???

If that DVD+RW “not supported” by Pioneer DVR-107D, how did i get this (with my Pioneer DVR-107D):

Media Information
Region information N/A not a DVD-VIDEO
Media code/Manufacturer ID MKM A02
Format Capacity 4.38GB(4.70GB)
Book Type DVD+RW
Media Type DVD+RW
Media Id Code Speed 2.4x 3324KBps
Available Write Descriptor CLV 4.0x 5540KBps
Available Write Descriptor CLV 2.4x 3324KBps
BG Format Status Suspended
Data area starting sector 30000h
Data area end sector 23053Fh
Linear Density 0.267um/bit
Track Density 0.74um/track
Number of Layers 1

08 02 00 00 92 0F 04 00 00 03 00 00 00 26 05 3F …&.?
00 00 00 00 00 00 01 4D 4B 4D 00 00 00 00 00 41 …MKM…A
30 32 00 39 23 00 94 79 64 02 20 00 9C 7A 6C 02 02.9#…yd. …zl.
20 00 9A 7B 68 02 20 12 12 10 E0 00 F0 00 00 00 …{h. …

And why all my 5 Verbatim DLP DVD+RW 4x discs works fine???
They were rewritten ~10-20 times each one and still no slowdowns in the end…

sorry for bad English, cause I’m Russian…

calm down vano, maybe OC-Freak’s disk is from a different batch that the drive didn’t like

Hey O.C. would you consider doing a seperate review with 1.05 - Rpc 1 non-official, firmware? I think your opinion would change considerably! I have the drive and have had no problems or complaints when using the 1.05 Rpc unofficial firmware. Heck, maybe it would help expedite a new official firmware from Pioneer.

wildman69

OC - your review is great!

Still some things are looking a little bit negative for the Pioneer IMHO when they looked too positive for the NEC2500. I’m just talking about all the posts from other users and reading about their problems. The Pioneer you have looks a little bit like a lemon and the NEC looks a little bit more as a better animal when you compare it to the whole species. Of course I don’t question your results and you have just one sample each.

For a personal decision which one to pick I’m still tending towards the 107 vs. the NEC2500. Just because of the hacked FW option for the 107 and the good results i’ve seen with 4x -R discs overclocked to 8x (doesn’t OC-Freak mean OverClocked-Freak???).
So - from a total cost of ownership with decent results I would still prefer the 107 burning e.g. decent priced RitekG04s at 8x if that works out OK. And I think that’s also what many people are looking for. Getting the best bang for the buck over say 100 discs burnt at 8x plus the initial price of the burner. That’s something that you don’t cover in your reviews and I just want you to think about it. I can get a cheap burner that requires expensive media for good results and I can get a little more expensive burner that burns affordable media at good quality. What turns out best / cheaper?
Yes, this goes also into the direction of the discussion we had already when you and /or rdgrimes said that the RitekG04 are sometimes low quality. I’ve still to see that. Still I believe it’s the writing strategy of certain burners and not the discs. Ergo: If I buy a 107, stay with my still to fail Riteks for the first time , can burn them at 8x with the hacked FW at good results then this is the ultimate combination. CD/CRW burning is also not important for me. And here in the states you get sometimes 50 or 100 CDs for $0 after mail-in-rebate. So - who cares if some don’t turn out perfectly. And I can still lower the burning speed and just sacrifice 30sec, 1 min, max. 2min. Who cares.

Awaiting your comment. Might be a little challenging because you did a great “engineering job” (I’m an engineer!) but you left out the monetary aspect of TCO.

Let’s start discussing it. No offense at all. I want to make this clear right away. I’m not challenging the technical results of your test. I just think the focus has to be shifted on the items mentioned above.

Vid

I’m not trying to offend OC-Freak.
As I said: all his previous reviews were great.
But results of Pioneer DVR-107D review completely differs from my DVR-107D results. I can post all my CD-DVD Speed graphs.
My device always shows ideal curves.
All my DVD-Videos, DVD+Rs,-Rs,+RWs,-RWs reads perfectly with DVR-107D.
It normally readsand writes even bulk cheapass AN31,MEDIA 001,GSC001,PRINCO,fake verbatims MCC 01RG20.

“…we had a hard time finding discs that the drive would read without any slowdowns…”
But with my DVR-107D i had a hard time finding disc that would read WITH slowdowns.

I think that review must be redone with real DVR-107D, not the sample one.

…sorry for bad English, cause I’m Russian…