CDFreaks presents: Optiarc BC-5500S Slim Laptop Drive Review

You can find the Reviewhere:

Feel free to comment the review in this thread.

firmware update from official sony optiarc site adds 4x bluray reading, unfortunately oem’s have to give you the update themselves or it wont flash:( my hp laptop hasn’t had any firmware updates from hp, i want 4x bluray reading!!! :frowning:

link is malformed.

[QUOTE=happyscrappy;2434974]link is malformed.[/QUOTE]

Thanks for letting us know. Fixed now! :flower:

Thanks for the review. :slight_smile:

The Optiarc BC-5500S uses CLV (Constant Linear Velocity) to write CD-RW media at its maximum speed of 10X, this gives an average speed of 9.84X.
As can be seen from the graph, the drive uses Z-CLV to write CD-RW media at 10x - starting at 8x and then increasing to 10x at the 6min position. Nero CD-DVD Speed misreports this as CLV.

The Optiarc BC-5500S uses CLV, (Constant Linear Velocity) to write DVD+R at the maximum supported speed of 8X. This gives an average write speed of 5.88X and a writing time of 11 minutes 14 seconds.
Nero CD-DVD Speed must be crazy when it reports this as CLV instead of CAV! :eek:

The Optiarc BC-5500S uses CLV, (Constant Linear Velocity) to write DVD-R at the maximum supported speed of 8X. This gives an average write speed of 5.90X and a writing time of 11 minutes 23 seconds.
CDSpeed is wrong again.

The Optiarc BC-5500S uses CLV (Constant Linear Velocity) to write DVD+R DL media at 4X which gives an average write speed of 3.94X and a total write time of 29 minutes and 58 seconds.
It’s Z-CLV even if CDSpeed reports it as P-CAV.

The Optiarc BC-5500S uses CLV, (Constant Linear Velocity) to write DVD-R DL media at 2X. The average speed is 3.93x and the total writing time is 30 minutes and 49 seconds
It’s writing at 4x Z-CLV as seen in the graph.

Thank you DrageMester for your keen eye.

Should be fixed now.

[QUOTE=DrageMester;2435072]Thanks for the review. :slight_smile:

As can be seen from the graph, the drive uses Z-CLV to write CD-RW media at 10x - starting at 8x and then increasing to 10x at the 6min position. Nero CD-DVD Speed misreports this as CLV.

Nero CD-DVD Speed must be crazy when it reports this as CLV instead of CAV! :eek:

CDSpeed is wrong again.

It’s Z-CLV even if CDSpeed reports it as P-CAV.

It’s writing at 4x Z-CLV as seen in the graph.[/QUOTE]

[QUOTE=hajj_3;2434810]firmware update from official sony optiarc site adds 4x bluray reading, unfortunately oem’s have to give you the update themselves or it wont flash:( my hp laptop hasn’t had any firmware updates from hp, i want 4x bluray reading!!! :([/QUOTE]

Yes, how typical of Sony to screw over their customers.

I have one of these, but it’s the BC-5500A P-ATA…

I’m also unable to update to 4X because firmware updater looks for the VAIO name in BIOS before it will update.

Drive works fine, though I’m glad it was only 75 bucks AU on eBay.

BTW, why this review now, these drives are at least 18 months old as far as I know?

In regard to the timeliness of the review, we were offered the review quite some time ago but didn’t have a Laptop for it.

Also the Sony Optiarc drive was an OEM drive and many times they don’t offer these for reviews.

We were asked to review the BC-5500 and with a laptop available we
were more than happy to review it.

Things have been changing at Sony Optiarc in regards to ODD’s so we should see some NEW drive from them soon.

Thank you Oz for your comments.

[QUOTE=Oz.;2438168]Yes, how typical of Sony to screw over their customers.

I have one of these, but it’s the BC-5500A P-ATA…

I’m also unable to update to 4X because firmware updater looks for the VAIO name in BIOS before it will update.

Drive works fine, though I’m glad it was only 75 bucks AU on eBay.

BTW, why this review now, these drives are at least 18 months old as far as I know?[/QUOTE]

Thanks for the nfo MegaDETH

Didn’t even know this thread existed, replied on your review/news page.

[B]SO![/B], since you have a OEM drive, guess you can’t update it either. How 'bout you ask your supplier to provide a newer firmware from Sony, since it would make your review look allot better for the Blu-ray section, as in 4X BD reading.

Then perhaps you could pass it on to Liggy “Your tame racing driver” and let him dismantle it for us mere mortals?

If not, then a note in review that there will NEWER be an update of firmware because Sony only supports people who are insane enough to buy their own overpriced battery exploding notebooks. :cool::eek::doh:

I will see what I can do :wink:

BUT it doesn’t appear my drive is an OEM. What firmware do you have?

I have 1.05

[QUOTE=Oz.;2438565]Thanks for the nfo MegaDETH

Didn’t even know this thread existed, replied on your review/news page.

[B]SO![/B], since you have a OEM drive, guess you can’t update it either. How 'bout you ask your supplier to provide a newer firmware from Sony, since it would make your review look allot better for the Blu-ray section, as in 4X BD reading.

Then perhaps you could pass it on to Liggy “Your tame racing driver” and let him dismantle it for us mere mortals?

If not, then a note in review that there will NEWER be an update of firmware because Sony only supports people who are insane enough to buy their own overpriced battery exploding notebooks. :cool::eek::doh:[/QUOTE]

Mine is 1.B4, but it’s a BC-5500A

Guessing 1.B4 is to be read as “1 before 1.05” :wink:

what is the point of putting pictures of the back and underneath of the drive up when they are exactly the same as every other slim sata optical drive ?

[QUOTE=rexroach;2439088]what is the point of putting pictures of the back and underneath of the drive up when they are exactly the same as every other slim sata optical drive ?[/QUOTE]

If you know they all look the same, then why do you keep examining them?

[QUOTE=Oz.;2439262]If you know they all look the same, then why do you keep examining them?[/QUOTE]

An optical laptop drive has to be a specific shape or size or it won’t fit in the bay and the connectors is always in the same place or it will not marry up with the socket. The only thing that is different on them is the label on top and maybe the graphics on the front bezel. I don’t go around examining them all the time but I have swapped out a few in my time and notice these things

Damned if you and damned if you don’t…

@MegaDETH, any word from your supplier re firmware update?

BTW, just noticed I’m a Senior member, is this age related? because then I’m offended

Nothing yet sorry…

I am a double Senior :doh:

[QUOTE=Oz.;2443259]Damned if you and damned if you don’t…

@MegaDETH, any word from your supplier re firmware update?

BTW, just noticed I’m a Senior member, is this age related? because then I’m offended[/QUOTE]

One could even say MegaSenior

[QUOTE=Oz.;2443259]BTW, just noticed I’m a Senior member, is this age related? because then I’m offended[/QUOTE]

Haha lol! No, it’s because you have reached 250 posts :bow: :clap: :clap:

[QUOTE=MegaDETH;2443305]Nothing yet sorry…[/QUOTE]

Guess it’s a lost cause while Sony is run by A holes.