CDFreaks presents: NeroLinux review

vbimport

Feel free, to comment on the NeroLINUX review in this thread.

You can find it here.

I see now why there was little time for firmware. Thanks for this review!

Some comments:

• Taste is personnal, but still. :slight_smile: 95% of the comments I’ve read about NeroLinux didn’t find the interface elegant A recent version of GTK or Qt would be a serious improvement.
  • What’s so positive about the fact that NeroLinux is free if you have the Windows-version? If I want to use it, I’ll have to buy an expensive Windows-version with far more features. A version I will never use. So that maks NeroLinux really expensive!
  • Solid application?! Under Windows, not crashing would be a positive point :smiley: (That’s a joke before some starts flaming)

Apart from that, good review. Glad to see there is some interest in Linux-burning. Will you make a K3B-review too? :wink:

Agreed, this is purely down to personal taste.

• What’s so positive about the fact that NeroLinux is free if you have the Windows-version? If I want to use it, I’ll have to buy an expensive Windows-version with far more features. A version I will never use. So that maks NeroLinux really expensive!
    180 million Nero users worldwide wouldn’t agree.
  • Solid application?! Under Windows, not crashing would be a positive point :smiley: (That’s a joke before some starts flaming)
    Personally I have never had problems with Nero on the Windows platform. I didn’t expect this to be any different on Linux, and it wasn’t, but still worth commenting on.

Lastly, I’m no expert on Linux. I’m a typical Windows user who just wanted to try Linux out to see what all the fuss is about. Part of the reason I wanted to try out Linux when I did was NeroLINUX.

Apart from that, good review. Glad to see there is some interest in Linux-burning. Will you make a K3B-review too? :wink:

Thanks.

To be honest I agree dansmug fully on the price thing. Maybe 180 million users use Nero, but of those 180 million, how many are dedicated Linux users who do not even use Windows? Sure I can fully understand that some of these people are already in posession of a Windows Nero version, however for the others … they have to pay the full price for a Windows version they never will use, which provides them in turn with 10% of the features. I think this structure would cause many who would buy it (if there are that many I wouldn’t know), use the serial, and re-sell the windows copy if they get the chance.

It makes little scense for me if you are trying to market it for Linux-only users too.

I would have thought a dual-licence things would have been more appropriate: Windows serial works fine if you happen to own one, however would you like to buy the Linux version only with it’s limited (comparing to the windows version) features: 10 Euros or something. This Linux serial would of course be a Linux-only serial, and would not work on Windows.

Another point I think worth saying is that I hope NeroLINUX will be included on all these Nero OEM CD’s being delivered with cd/dvd-writing hardware. I actually see no reason why not: Linux users buy hardware too, and OEM versions often deliver just the basic features … just like NeroLINUX :wink:

I love NeroLINUX, it really works well, and I’m not criticising it’s features ~ just comparing price to features.

Just have a look here Samsung is First Company Worldwide to Bundle NeroLINUX with DVD/CD Recorders :slight_smile:

Very nice review. NeroLinux looks very very promising.

I my opinion nero sucks. They programmed into nero 6 so it won’t run under an emulator. NeroLinux is ok - but doesnt have the dvd-video mode that i need. Y cant
nero grow some brains and remove the “does not run on any system besides windows” from nero 6 it would run under wine properly. Just another way of giving Windows more sales - good one nero.

yeah, i’d love to run recode2 under wine.

sej7278:

amen. :slight_smile:

I find NeroLinux’s interface one of its positive points.
It is light on memory using a light library so that the programme can be used in most computers (in an office not all the machines are the latest Pentium 4) enhancing its compatibility.
It allows one to access all feature with a couple of clicks and not too many windows.
It has a spartan beauty, like the interior of a Ferrari or Porche car. One has just the controls needed at the right place!

I say “Well Done” to Nero.
Maybe the only interface enhancement needed is a command-line version. This would make it really useful for a system administrator! Just think, having the device compatibility and recording quality of Nero with the flexibility of a command-line!!

Greetings,
Personally I find the idea enlightening, since I tend to be a bit bias about the Linux platofrm. However I just wanted to throw in my two cents…

1. Linux as a server is in my opinion (and many others) unbeatable. It’s rock solid and can out-perform virtually any non-unix (or clone) hands down. (Note: Remember your setup is only as good as you make it.)

2. Linux as a workstation is something yet to be fully accomplished. Mainly as mentioned earlier is the lack of available commerical software. So in many cases (including my own) us “Linux users” rely on either dual boot or dual machines – keeping a Windows box handy for whatever reason may be. NeroLinux is just one step to closing that door for the need to keep a copy of Windows around.

With Mac OS X switching to the x86 processor, I’ve got my fingers crossed. Since it’s built on the BSD (variant) kernel which is posix.1 compliant – rest assured the Linux community is mostly going to get a boost in available software. (It should be noted that the Darwin OS is or at least was available free – which contains all the basic libraries and so forth minus the GUI and has been (or maybe still is)available for the x86 platform for some time.)

NeroLinux sounds like the pre-step to the x86 Macintosh platform, as from there all it has to do now is package the proper gnu libraries that it needs (Mac OS used to ship with them at one time) in it’s Macintosh install with little to no modification. :smiley:

Like I posted in another thread, thanks for support us. Iv had major issues with K3B. Burned so many bad things with it. With Nero for Linux, nothing has burned bad at all. Able to burn audio cds, data, DL dvds, dvds, and extra. I also like that its based on GTK1. Yes I know GTK2 is out, but being GTK1 make it lighter, not more bloated and heavy. Thanks again for supporting us and making updates of it :slight_smile: