Cdfreaks presents NEC ND-2500A review

No he aint telling you that. What jbv correctly pointed out is that when reviewing a drive you have to show its pros and cons, so that the reader can decide on which of these positive or negative remarks are important to himself.

So for someone like you (and me :wink: ) 40x CD writing aint important when talking about a DVD recorder drive, still for someone else could be, if ie he doesnt have another CD recorder and wants to combine both.

At the end of the day, the end consumer will decide which of the pros and cons pointed out in the review are important to him or not. Its the reviewer’s job though to find them and point them out to him :wink:

Has anyone seen any other reviews? I was just about to buy the pioneer 106 when I saw this review, but since I will use it to store important data I hesitate to buy it based only on one single positive review.

I owned pioneer a06 before nec2500a and i assure you that nec2500 is superior…

I’m currently researching before I purchase an 8x dvd burner. I’ve read the review for this and it looks good. The one thing I’d like clarified is: if I want to copy a DVD I made with my home tv panasonic recorder, 4 hours of programming, this recorder will not be able to make a copy? if not any suggestions to an 8x burner that does not have the 90 minute restriction. Or does the 90 minute restriction mean runnning time from a souce that is playing - such as a dvd, vcr tape or television?

The 90 min are only when you burn cdr and have no influence on dvd burning.

You can buy cdr media with 90 min and 99 min, and nd2500 can only burn up to 90 min and can not use 99 min cdr.

Both 90 min and 99 min are over normal value 80 min.

If you dont need to burn over 90 min then no problem for you if you get a nd2500.

Thanks for your response.

Originally posted by vadergr
I owned pioneer a06 before nec2500a and i assure you that nec2500 is superior…

In what way? Of course it’s faster but have you tested burn quality? Thats whats most important for me.

i just compared writing quality using kprobe.

Originally posted by fokfokfok
In what way? Of course it’s faster but have you tested burn quality? Thats whats most important for me.

The writing quality on both DVDR and CDR is far better with the NEC ND-2500A compared to my pioneer DVR-106.

On the other hand…the pioneer have slightly better media compatibility.

What about jitter? have anyone tested that? I’m not shure how important that is but I plan to use the burner to also burn audio cd 's and sound quality has to be very good. I’m a musician and I don’t wanna miss a good deal because my demo cd sounded crappy. Then again I don’t think I ever have heard a cd which sounded bad, so I feel that maybe this isn’t really anything to be concerned about?

i ordered one nec2500a after having read your review :wink:

i have a question about one of the tests you did on one of the disks, namely the following:

Brand: Datawrite redtop v2
Manufacturer: Infosmart
Code: INFOSMART01
Disc Type: DVD-R
Capacity: 4489MB
Certified Speed: 4x
Write Speed: 4x
Write Time: 13m:27s
PI errors Average/Sec: 14.281
PI uncorrectable errors(PO) Avg/Sec: 0.222

Now, with all the other disks being written to at 4x, they all seem to take an extra minute to write (about 14m, 26s), however, this 4x disk is able to be written to a minute faster.

Please can you clear this up: is this a typo/error or is it genuinely the case that the INFOSMART01 disks @4x can be written to faster than all other 4x disks.

thanx

oops sorry, that’s a typo :rolleyes: should be 14m 27s

I’m sorry, but I get a kick out of the way people rush so completely to a new product when it comes out and kick everything else that came before it to the curb. I’m certain, based on the reviews, that the 2500A is a fine writer. But I’m equally certain that, within a few months of having been “out there,” we’ll start to see the requisite amount of complaints and problems that we see for any other drive. We all know that the optical drive universe centers around a few brands, and I suggest that within that group, we’re likely to see the same ratio of good-to-bad drives that we’ve always seen. For those of you who are shopping around for a new drive, you’re clearly not going to go wrong with the 2500A, barring any unforeseen future problems. However, I’m sorry, but you’re also not going to go wrong, in most cases, with Pioneer, other NEC models, Plextor, Benq, or Lite-On, especially if you’re looking to save some bucks and are willing to put up with slower recording speeds. Any new drive is a gamble, and some drives from the above listed manufacturers have been a little dicey - that may yet prove to be the case with the 2500A, or it may not. But all the other drives that were yesterday’s stars didn’t just magically turn to crap just because NEC has released their new 8x DVD writer: give me a break! And another thing. As far as quality is concerned with DVDs, quality testing is in its infancy - to put it kindly - and we’re all relying on ONE TOOL which works only with one particular brand of writer by which to judge everything else. This is hardly a scientific approach to determining write quality - not knocking K-Probe OR the 2500A, just stating the facts. I say if you read the posts on this site and give new drives a little time to “ripen in the market,” clear patterns concerning quality and compatability will appear.

Originally posted by kev99sl
…I say if you read the posts on this site and give new drives a little time to “ripen in the market,” clear patterns concerning quality and compatability will appear.

My IQ is 126, not too outstanding but better than normal.
I am rated as Visual Mathematician meaning that I’m outstanding in figuring out patterns both numbers and pictures. People turn to me for direction to lead to a big picture.

If and only if you believe me what I just said above, buy NEC 2500A. For I bought it because I found “increasing patterns” people are liking this drive “faster than others”, like Plextor 708A or LiteOn 811S.

One of the examples: Go to http://www.dvdrhelp.com/dvdwriters

*Notice the rating of NEC 2500A. It has more votes than LiteOn even though it was in the market for a shorter time period than LiteOn 811S. And notice that it has much better rating than LiteOn, while more votes tend to lower the overall rating scores.

Compare it with others as well :wink:

Originally posted by giggy
[B]My IQ is 126, not too outstanding but better than normal.
I am rated as Visual Mathematician meaning that I’m outstanding in figuring out patterns both numbers and pictures. People turn to me for direction to lead to a big picture.

If and only if you believe me what I just said above, buy NEC 2500A. For I bought it because I found “increasing patterns” people are liking this drive “faster than others”, like Plextor 708A or LiteOn 811S.

One of the examples: Go to http://www.dvdrhelp.com/dvdwriters

*Notice the rating of NEC 2500A. It has more votes than LiteOn even though it was in the market for a shorter time period than LiteOn 811S. And notice that it has much better rating than LiteOn, while more votes tend to lower the overall rating scores.

Compare it with others as well :wink: [/B]

My main point is, simply because it’s a great drive that doesn’t mean that all of yesterday’s “great drives” are suddenly crap. Everyone gets so excited about a new drive, and all of the sudden everyone is ready to throw their Pioneer 106D, NEC-1300, Lite-On 411S, or Plextor out the window. It’s hysterical to me …

Originally posted by kev99sl
My main point is, simply because it’s a great drive that doesn’t mean that all of yesterday’s “great drives” are suddenly crap. Everyone gets so excited about a new drive, and all of the sudden everyone is ready to throw their Pioneer 106D, NEC-1300, Lite-On 411S, or Plextor out the window. It’s hysterical to me …

What do you have now?

What is just as amusing is the way some people get all bent out of shape when a great new drive comes along and they have the “old one”. They can’t wait to try to shoot down the new drive to “save face”.
Also look at the responses to the very negative LG burner review, people that own one were very hurt by the review and couldn’t wait to try to shoot it down.

Originally posted by rdgrimes
What is just as amusing is the way some people get all bent out of shape when a great new drive comes along and they have the “old one”. They can’t wait to try to shoot down the new drive to “save face”.
Also look at the responses to the very negative LG burner review, people that own one were very hurt by the review and couldn’t wait to try to shoot it down.

Re-read my post:

“I’m certain, based on the reviews, that the 2500A is a fine writer …”

“For those of you who are shopping around for a new drive, you’re clearly not going to go wrong with the 2500A …”

“… not knocking K-Probe OR the 2500A, just stating the facts …”

Then explain to me how, in any way, I was trying to “shoot down the new drive to ‘save face.’”

Originally posted by giggy
What do you have now?

I have:

DVD:

Lite-On 411S
Pioneer A06
Verbatim Firewire/USB2 external drive (NEC ND-1100A)

Why do you ask? Do you think there’s some sort of great “gotcha” lurking in the fact that I don’t own the 2500A, or for that matter an 8x DVD writer? Wasn’t that kind of obvious from the get-go?