Cdfreaks presents LG GSA-4040B review

vbimport

Phew, finally finished uploading; LG GSA-4040B Triple format DVD-Writer

Feel free to comment this review here. Contructive criticism is always good. :wink:

Hope you enjoy the review as it have taken a long time to finish.

Thanks for the review OC. (I was reading along while you were uploading it :bigsmile: ).

Interesting results. Never expected this, not after seeing the CDRLabs review. Could you (pretty please) run the same K-probe tests (in the Lite-On -411) on some disks burned in other drives (Memorex/Pioneer)?
That would make for an interesting and fair comparision, since the scans in the Memorex review were done in a combo drive. As you mentioned, K-probe was designed to be used with Lite-On DVD-writers. A fair comparison therefore can only be done by using the same (dvd) drive. That way we would finally get some sort of baseline on K-Probe results.

Easily the best, (by far), DVD burner review ever. You should get a raise OC. :wink:

:bow:

Great review OC!! :slight_smile:

Too bad this drive has such a bad write perfomance, was thinking of buying it. Maybe something a couple of firmware updates will fix though.

Originally posted by rdgrimes
[B]Easily the best, (by far), DVD burner review ever. You should get a raise OC. :wink:

:bow: [/B]

REALLY!!! It’s nice! Thanks very much, OC.

I don’t think I’ll re-do the CD-R scans in the memorex review (yes I know I should not used the combo). But I think I’ll add DVD-Scans to it soon.

But here is some DVD-scans of discs written by the memorex (pioneer), scanned with the same settings in the same drive.

This is the Taiyo Yuden DVD+R that the LG did so bad on:

Arita 4X DVD+R mad by ricoh (same type as in the LG review):

Verbatim mitsubishi 4X DVD+R:

Datawrite 4X DVD-R ritekg04 (same as in the review)

Princo 4X (the one that is noted as type 2 in the LG review).

Verbatim Mitsubishi 4X DVD-R

And just as a comparison here is a very good scan written at 8X with the plextor PX-708A onto the same arita ricoh 4X DVD+R discs:

I’m sorry but I do not have scans available for more disc types…

On some discs there is great difference in quality…and as said in the review I’m most disappointed by the DVD+R write quality.

Nice review OC! Just a couple of things I thought of:

“Although this standard is for pressed DVD-ROM’s we have found it to be a good guideline for recordable DVD media as well.”
Actually it is 280 for DVD±R too, check ECMA-337/338.

“For PO errors we have yet to find any standards describing how they are defined and how many PO errors that is acceptable for a good disc. And thus we do not focus on the PO errors in this test, but keep in mind that lower is always better.”
I don’t know about the PO Kprobe reports but if it’s supposed to be uncorrectable PI errors (PIF) then it should be <=4 per one ECC sector according to the DVD+R specification. Uncorrectable PO (POF) should of course be 0.

Originally posted by OC-Freak
[B]I don’t think I’ll re-do the CD-R scans in the memorex review (yes I know I should not used the combo). But I think I’ll add DVD-Scans to it soon.

On some discs there is great difference in quality…and as said in the review I’m most disappointed by the DVD+R write quality. [/B]

Great, thanks a lot OC. :bow: (the DVD scans is what matters most anyway).

This really makes the LG look very bad in comparison to the Pioneer (Memorex). Especially in the +R category. It doesn’t even seem able to burn well on a TY disk. That’s a first. :confused:

Just a thought aside, can’t we use these K-prone scans as a basis for more strict quality tests than have been done so far? The DVD media thread has some good info on various disk/writer combo’s, but it is clouded by all the different scan settings and drives used for testing.

What if we could have a (sticky) thread with only scans done on the -411 (and/or a -401 if the results are truly comparible) with the exact same scan settings? That way we would be able to make a really fair comparison on writing quality and media compatibility. I know the number of people that would be able to contribute would be more limited, but it would make for a more valuable thread.

Thanks for the information jsl! I was not aware of that! I’ll update the review tonight to fix those minor things. Yes K-Probe should report the PI failures as PO if I’ve understood it right.

:frowning: Funny how your review on this DVD recorder is so different from the review on tomshardware sight??? :wink:
I have this DVD Recorder and have not made a single coaster. Everything I burn with it works on whatever I put it into.

When you did your tests did you have the latest firmware A301?

IMO this is a good DVD burner. Other readers are welcome to read the review from the other site above and then deside from there on their own option. :smiley:

Hi and welcome! :slight_smile:

You are forgetting one important point:

1: is other reviews testing the CD-R write quality?
2: is other reviews testing the DVDR write quality?
3: is other reviews using CloneCD when testing?

I think you could answer “no” to all these 3 in 90% of the reviews on the net. And thus they do not discover the problems I found…and again rates the drive higher than it deserves.

Yes as mentioned 2 places in the review :wink: I used firmware A301.

Thanks OC for the review.:bigsmile:
I had been seriously considering this, but after your review, another option bites the dust,

I personnally have this LG 4040b and found it excellent, how you had so much trouble with it baffles me.
Using the 301 firmware all my burns with various brands are at 4x and have experienced no coasters using DVD Shrink and Nero 5.5.10.54.

This is a DVD burner, the fact it also burns
CD’s is a bonus, I personally still use a LiteON burner for burning 90 minute CD’s as they are so cheap now they are difficult to even give away.

Tom’s Hardware is a very respected site
and possesses more kudos than you are apparently aware of.

:frowning:

I’m a little hesitant to write this reply, but this is meant to be constructive criticism, not a flame of any kind.

I won’t argue the technical merits of your review since I’m certainly no expert on dvd writers, but I think you should have someone with editing experience examine and correct your English. There are quite a number of errors in grammer, tense and structure. I realize you do not speak English as a first language, so you’re doing a heck of a lot better than I would in a second language, but it lacks a professional presentation.

If you simply want to post this review here at cdfreaks, I don’t think this is of pressing concern, but I think this type of review should be picked up by other sites, especially since very few other computer websites are even aware of the type of media and hardware testing you do here. If they do link to your review, I think the response to it would be better overall if your report had a bit more polish.

As I said before, I don’t mean to tread on any toes here. Just my initial impression of the review.

And to Colindale
tom’s hardware is one of the most despised sites on the web by computer enthusiasts, and with good reason. To revert to my Texas upbringing—I wouldn’t trust them to find their butts with both hands.

tom’s hardware is one of the most despised sites on the web by computer enthusiasts

You’re too harsh. I happen to have it from a reliable source that they can, in fact, find their butts with both hands.

Originally posted by Kerry56
[B]I’m a little hesitant to write this reply, but this is meant to be constructive criticism, not a flame of any kind.

I won’t argue the technical merits of your review since I’m certainly no expert on dvd writers, but I think you should have someone with editing experience examine and correct your English. There are quite a number of errors in grammer, tense and structure. I realize you do not speak English as a first language, so you’re doing a heck of a lot better than I would in a second language, but it lacks a professional presentation.

If you simply want to post this review here at cdfreaks, I don’t think this is of pressing concern, but I think this type of review should be picked up by other sites, especially since very few other computer websites are even aware of the type of media and hardware testing you do here. If they do link to your review, I think the response to it would be better overall if your report had a bit more polish.

As I said before, I don’t mean to tread on any toes here. Just my initial impression of the review.

And to Colindale
tom’s hardware is one of the most despised sites on the web by computer enthusiasts, and with good reason. To revert to my Texas upbringing—I wouldn’t trust them to find their butts with both hands. [/B]

Please don’t get this wrong, dear, but it’s grammar. Not grammer, grammar. Glass houses etc.,

all the best notwithstanding. . .

Originally posted by Kerry56
[B]I’m a little hesitant to write this reply, but this is meant to be constructive criticism, not a flame of any kind.

And to Colindale
tom’s hardware is one of the most despised sites on the web by computer enthusiasts, and with good reason. To revert to my Texas upbringing—I wouldn’t trust them to find their butts with both hands. [/B]

I’m aware of this, but I don’t know how to get around this problem.

At first I rely probably to much on the MS word spelling and grammar control and lets MS word 2000 correct what it thinks is wrong.

Secondly my English is not the best…I know…so how am I supposed to fix the grammar errors if I don’t know what’s right? Compared to my first review, this one is much better…just to have that said.

And compared to many other reviews I’ve read on the net from people without English as their 1st language I don’t think it’s that much worse?

Thanks for the critics though :slight_smile:

Tom’s Hardware is a very respected site
and possesses more kudos than you are apparently aware of.

Tom’s Hardware Guide might be respected, but the difference is that we are in a niche. THG is doing tests for all kinds of hardware, and altough respected, this doesn’t mean their tests are better or worse then ours.

Our specialty is CD-RW/DVDRW hardware and our tests are extensive and in-depth. We maybe should consider a ‘normal user’ buying advice and a ‘CD Freak’ buying advice. We do not want to alienate our visitors and it seems that not everyone has the same ideas about what a good drive should do.

But I will try to explain to you why this drive most likely received different results then on THG’s site.

We are currently aiming at users that want to be assured that their CDs and DVDs written have the least amount of errors. This because we believe that integrety of data is important because there is 4.7Gb of data stored on a disc and we don’t want to lose it.

We also believe in the maximum speed, some of the people here burn dozes of CDs a day, imagine that if it saves them 2 minutes a disc, it could save them half an hour a day, 3.5 hours a week, half a day a month!

We also believe in the need for being able to read and write all kind of discs. What happens when in the future you just receive a disc and you can’t copy it because you didn’t get the perfect burner that would have cost you $5,- more?

We also believe in testing features, not always do they work as advertised. All with all we have a wide range of tests that will drive most drives crazy :wink:

Summarized, I think you can’t really compare THG’s reviews and ours, they focus on different things.

I’m a little hesitant to write this reply, but this is meant to be constructive criticism, not a flame of any kind.

Don’t fear to critisize as long as it is constructive criticism (like this)! We are aware of the fact that the reviews contain grammar errors, but OC is making efforts to improve this. However we feel that the most important are the results. We could focus hours on the grammar part but that would probably only bring down the content of the review, therefor we take the grammar errors for granted, and as OC mentioned, he’s improving every part of the review where possible.

(English is also not my native language as you might have noticed, so please take my errors for granted too :wink: ).

Hi there,

I’d like to thank you guys for your great and helpful info :slight_smile:

I was about to buy an LG drive and read your review and comments.

Now I’m still more confused LOL :slight_smile:

Based upon this info, would you recommend the LG drive or the Pioneer 106?

I’ve pretty much narrowed it to these two finalists :slight_smile:

Thanks DoMiN8ToR and OC-Freak for the great review and comments :smiley:

CHEERS

I knew I should have run a spell check on that post! Grammer! :slight_smile:

Seriously, I don’t think it would take very long to comb out the errors on that review and not change the meaning. I think the technical parts are fine.

Perhaps you could have someone affiliated with the site look through the next one? You’re bound to have some people who speak English as their native tongue. I’ll even nominate rdgrimes :bigsmile: I know he’ll appreciate that.