CDFreaks presents: LG GGW-H20L Blu-ray Writer Review

vbimport

Excellent review. Just bought one today ($199.00 CDN at FutureShop) along with some Verbatim BD-R & RE discs also on for $9.99 and $14.99.
Personally [I]dullydave[/I] I was having problems with Memorex DVD’s so I swithed to Verbatim and had zero problems so that’s the brand I’ll buy now for all my media.

Yes I have seen a few reports of people having issues with this drive and Memorex BD-RE discs.

[QUOTE=duallydave;2147762]I recently bought this drive, 3 different Memorex BD-RE disks do not work in it, but a LG branded BD-RE does work. Has anyone else had problems with Memorex BD-RE disks in the GGW-H20L drive?[/QUOTE]

[QUOTE=duallydave;2147762]I recently bought this drive, 3 different Memorex BD-RE disks do not work in it, but a LG branded BD-RE does work. Has anyone else had problems with Memorex BD-RE disks in the GGW-H20L drive?[/QUOTE]

New firmware update [B]YL05[/B]: 24 BD-R and 4 BD-RE media added.
Memorex BD-RE works fine now.
Check www.lge.com

NewEgg has retail 219 free shipping

With promo EMCBBAGCA

JohnnyJT :cool:
South Philly

can i access this cd in my dvd writer???

Does this drive have a riplock? I note it doesn’t support bitsetting for DVD…rw’s?

[QUOTE=sandypeter111;2162617]can i access this cd in my dvd writer???[/QUOTE]

Yes you can.

[QUOTE=transdogmifier;2172394]Does this drive have a riplock? I note it doesn’t support bitsetting for DVD…rw’s?[/QUOTE]

Not sure as the LG drives are not speed rippers anyways so the 30+ minutes to rip is fine by me.

Interesting, Dr. Who…I got this drive recently and came to CD Freaks to find
a modified firmware for it…no such luck …chuckle I don’t really mind the time, but I do
enjoy messing around with stuff…Hopefully without killing it in the process.

I haven’t decided on a burning software for it though. Nero 9 or Roxio, in your opinion (either way, I have to get a ‘blu-ray plug in’ I think).

You will get a different answer from everyone on Nero 9 or Roxio.

Really you could demo them both (does Roxio have a demo?) and then decide
what one you like best.

[QUOTE=transdogmifier;2172399]Interesting, Dr. Who…I got this drive recently and came to CD Freaks to find
a modified firmware for it…no such luck …chuckle I don’t really mind the time, but I do
enjoy messing around with stuff…Hopefully without killing it in the process.

I haven’t decided on a burning software for it though. Nero 9 or Roxio, in your opinion (either way, I have to get a ‘blu-ray plug in’ I think).[/QUOTE]

I usually modify my firmware as well but not on this drive as I just use Imgburn to booktype +R to DVD-ROM. My PS3 will play anything so this really isn’t so important to me but I can see it for others.

[QUOTE=MegaDETH;2172411]You will get a different answer from everyone on Nero 9 or Roxio.

Really you could demo them both (does Roxio have a demo?) and then decide
what one you like best.[/QUOTE]

Not sure about Roxio, truth be told…I don’t see a demo readily available on their site. “Learn More” and “Buy Download” is about it.

One thing they seem to have removed that I REALLY liked was “Drag to Disc”…doesn’t seem to be in the package anymore. I don’t like the Windows
version that much.

At any rate, I think I’ll buy Nero and see how it goes.

The drive functions perfectly so far, although I have no playback software (but then again, 50" Plasma 1080P Panasonic TV and a PS/3…do I need it on the PC?). The review was really well written and I used it in my decision making.

recently i buy the GGW-H20
i have problem burning the “blu-ray disc inlcuded”,
its a LG BD-RE:

BR-RE
LGEBRES01 (000)

everytime i try to burn it i got errors, wethever software i’m using!!

the GGW-H20 is connected in sata mode (AHCI), maybe for this?

My motherboard is a ASUS P5E3 Deluxe and have a "Intel X38 - 82801IR (ICH9R) chipset.

or maybe the GGW-H20 its broken?

thx! :frowning:

I am very interrested in this drive! I want to use this drive in my HTPC, but I can’t find any clue about the spinning sounds it’s producing!? Can anyone help me out here?:slight_smile:

Hello manvanstaal, welcome to the cdfreaks forum!

In Kippers conclusion here

He says it’s quiet operation. The LG are pretty quiet but they are not as quiet as some of the Sony models but I am sure some other can comment as well.

Thx MegaDETH for your quick reply. I overlooked Kippers remark about the quiet operation! It’s a pitty that in the official specs no information is made available regarding the decibels the drive produces.

So I still cannot decide to buy the drive!

hi, i have the lg blue ray drive that you guys are talking about it will intermitmeing reboot from time to time by that i mean it will shut my computer down and i have to turn power off. to restart computer i took it back and got another drive and the same thing happens from time to time i have a gigbit motherboard and 3600 radeon video card its in a hptc case hook to 60 inch sony tv when i put a regular dvd drive in it i have no problems this happens when i open drive draw any help would be appreciated i am runnig xp media center and use power dvd to play movies

Hi Guys,

I have just bought this LG Blu-ray drive GGW-H20L (firmware version: YL03) and I have still problem with them :frowning:
If I want to burn a BD image file to LG Blu-ray disc (which was added to the drive) with CyberLink Power2Go version: 5.50.3209 (also the added software pack) every time I get error message (Error Code : 0xeb020b9c) after one and half minute later.
I try it several times with the same result… I don’t know what can I do???

Did anybody facing with this problem?

What does your problem have to do with this REVIEW?

Good review. Found this drive at NewEgg for under $200 and going by the review I went ahead and purchased it.
Glad I did. It is a nice drive. I did upgrade the firmware from the version .03 it was at to version .05 available at their website.
C&P from their email to me on where to go for the firmware update:

You can download the firmware from http://ca.lgservice.com under software upgrades. For product select dvd-rom(writer) leave the operating system set to all and enter your model in the subject. You will need the 05 version.

for all of you . i had this writer for 10 months . and i burned 50 blu-rays with imgburn and power2go . 4x and 2 x . checked all of them visually and with the software . udf 2.0 for data such as mkv and ts files .
anyway . they were working fine at first and left them on the shelves few months like 2 or 3 . then when i came back to see some of them . the drive would not recognize the disc . they were worthless . i used traxdata . but i was not sure if it was the media or the drive.
so i sent the drive back to have it repaired or checked .
they just sent me a new one . i do not know for sure if it is the drive .

so , i ask others about the drive . can it burn superficially to last for a while and then go bad . would it be a lens problem or would you rather think it is the media fault and not possible for the drive to do that .
of course the vendor where i bought the media traxdata is affirming me that i am the only one to report this problem .

let me know and others . because some of us who have not checked their media for a while might want to do so now.
because it could happen to you .
this cost me time and money . a lot of time wasted and to retrieve the files lost was a pain .