CDFreaks presents: LG GBW-H20L Super Multi Blue Blu-ray Disc Rewriter with LightScribe Review

vbimport

You can find the Review here:

Feel free to comment the review in this thread.

Thank you for the review.
Very comprehensive.
A nice drive indeed.

Thanks for the excellent review MegaDETH :clap:
Very nice drive :iagree:

Thanks Megadeth.

Megadeath check the picture on your dvd-rw scan (page 6), you have the pic from ritadata instead of Verbatim.

Thanks buddy, I have it changed now :flower:

[QUOTE=vroom;2118516]Megadeath check the picture on your dvd-rw scan (page 6), you have the pic from ritadata instead of Verbatim.[/QUOTE]

Thanks Mega

I missed seeing the TRT on your CD write section, excellent review.

Hey all…

I see that this drive is available for sale at Best Buy, Circuit City, and some others, but I can’t find it mentioned on LG’s own website, both US and Global.

Anyone know why that might be?

• Tim

Not sure why but this is really not that unusual, it does happen quite often.

[QUOTE=tbessie;2125504]Hey all…

I see that this drive is available for sale at Best Buy, Circuit City, and some others, but I can’t find it mentioned on LG’s own website, both US and Global.

Anyone know why that might be?

• Tim[/QUOTE]

[QUOTE=MegaDETH;2125557]Not sure why but this is really not that unusual, it does happen quite often.[/QUOTE]

I dunno - you’d just think a company would want people to know about their products n’ like that. :slight_smile:

• Tim

[QUOTE=MegaDETH;2118022]You can find the Review here:

Feel free to comment the review in this thread.[/QUOTE]

Too bad these units don’t play HD so we could rip our HD collection.

[QUOTE=etp;2125634]Too bad these units don’t play HD so we could rip our HD collection.[/QUOTE]

How do you mean? Using AnyDVD and ImgBurn you can certainly rip Blu-Rays with this unit, unless I’m terribly mistaken.

• Tim

[QUOTE=tbessie;2125638]How do you mean? Using AnyDVD and ImgBurn you can certainly rip Blu-Rays with this unit, unless I’m terribly mistaken.

• Tim[/QUOTE]

HD not BD // confusing isn’t it! Both are HD quality one is HD/HD format.

PS/ As soon as I snag some BE I will back up a BR with this puppy.

[QUOTE=etp;2125639]HD not BD // confusing isn’t it! Both are HD quality one is HD/HD format.

PS/ As soon as I snag some BE I will back up a BR with this puppy.[/QUOTE]

I think when you say “HD” you need to clarify it to “HD-DVD”, if that’s what you’re talking about; not everyone gets the distinction. :slight_smile:

Is that what you were referring to?

• Tim

HD

HD DVD or High-Definition/Density Digital Versatile Disc is an obsolete high-density optical disc format for storing data and high-definition video.[1] HD DVD was designed principally by Toshiba, and was envisaged to be the successor to the standard DVD format. However, in February 2008, Toshiba abandoned the format, announcing it would no longer develop or manufacture HD DVD players or drives[1].

HD DVD is derived from the same underlying technologies as DVD. Since all variants except the 3× DVD employed a blue laser with a shorter wavelength, it can store about 3¼ times as much data per layer as its predecessor (maximum capacity: 15 GB per layer instead of 4.7 GB per layer).

Lets please stay on the topic of this review please.

HD is such a general term now, when referring to the disc type “HD-DVD” should really be used (IMHO anyway).

[QUOTE=etp;2126226]HD

HD DVD or High-Definition/Density Digital Versatile Disc is an obsolete high-density optical disc format for storing data and high-definition video.[1] HD DVD was designed principally by Toshiba, and was envisaged to be the successor to the standard DVD format. However, in February 2008, Toshiba abandoned the format, announcing it would no longer develop or manufacture HD DVD players or drives[1].

HD DVD is derived from the same underlying technologies as DVD. Since all variants except the 3× DVD employed a blue laser with a shorter wavelength, it can store about 3¼ times as much data per layer as its predecessor (maximum capacity: 15 GB per layer instead of 4.7 GB per layer).[/QUOTE]

Umm… quoting the definition of “HD-DVD” does not clarify the question of what you were referring to when you used the term “HD” only. HD is commonly used to mean simply “high definition”; rarely have I ever seen it used to mean the “HD-DVD” format.

So… did you mean “High Definition” in general, or the HD-DVD format in particular? Thanks. :slight_smile:

• Tim

[QUOTE=MegaDETH;2126266]Lets please stay on the topic of this review please.

HD is such a general term now, when referring to the disc type “HD-DVD” should really be used (IMHO anyway).[/QUOTE]

Thank you, MegaDETH. :slight_smile:

• Tim

I just purchased the LG GBW-H20L…sweet

Have AnyDVD…little red Fox is my best friend…
PowerDVD 8 Ultra

now i need to find 50GB Disk here in Canada…Memory Express only has 25 GB disk…any suggestions on where to find in Alberta?

I placed my last order from nikoneko (he is a member here) his eBay site is here.

[QUOTE=rugburn11;2140584]I just purchased the LG GBW-H20L…sweet

Have AnyDVD…little red Fox is my best friend…
PowerDVD 8 Ultra

now i need to find 50GB Disk here in Canada…Memory Express only has 25 GB disk…any suggestions on where to find in Alberta?[/QUOTE]