CDFreaks presents BenQ DW1670 Preview

BenQ Taiwan graciously provided an early engineering sample of the new DW1670 DVD writer.

Check out our preview !
Questions, comments or additional tests can be requested here.
Please keep in mind that we will also be working on a full review for this DVD burner!

i want! :slight_smile:

does the drive support PIE/PIF scanning?

Hi :slight_smile:
Wesociety :clap:
Thanks a lot for this preview. I must say that I’m not sure about the move away from the Philips chip/SB/OS etc. But the drive & it’s ‘clone’ Sonys’ 820 show that the drive has some potential. However despite it being early days I have doubts as to whether I’ll add this to BenQ stable (1620x1 1640x3 1650x2 1655x2).
BTW I don’t know if it’s just me, but the ‘in this forum thread’ link didn’t work
Thanks once again…

Not at this time…
It is unknown whether or not the final retail unit will support this feature.
BenQ did say that it should support some features of QSuite.

Just notice that the drive sticker is on the top of the drive covering the rounded cooling system, just like DW1655. While DW1640 and DRU-820 sticker is on the bottom drive. Probably doesn’t make any difference. :wink:

Fixed. Thanks zebadee.

doesn’t look too different from the 1655

It is completely different than the 1655 and looks nothing like it.

Good preview Wes.!

features are the same

@El_Mariachi_X. Maybe you should take a closer look at the differences.:wink:

@Wesociety. Thanks for the preview.

the 1670 has Mount Rainier.

I vaguely remember all the hype surrounding it last time :doh:

Thanks for the preview Wes. :slight_smile:

Thanks for this preview :clap: , now almost all BenQ 1670 questions are answered.

Just notice that the drive sticker is on the top of the drive covering the rounded cooling system, just like DW1655. While DW1640 and DRU-820 sticker is on the bottom drive. Probably doesn’t make any difference.
zevia, my second 1640 oem made in Malay oct-05 has sticker on top of drive.

I forsee no solidburn and no overspeed unless the firmware allows it as the chipset is totally different to the DW1655. The only advantage I see is the RAM support but I dont have any RAM discs nor equipment that uses RAM.

I am sticking with my DW1655.

Look forward to reading the full review though.

Yeh me too. The quality of the discs burned doesnt seem to hot though. Its a shame that they have moved to panasonic chipsets.

Hi. I am curious as to you folks that have multiple DVD burners in your Sig. User zebedae reports eight burners!! :slight_smile: Wow! I’m wondering what I am missing, as I only have one, which suits me fine. Could you guys fill me on how you guys fully utilize all of those?! Thanks.

@bondisdead
some dvd writers make very high quality burns, like the lg 4163/4167, but they can’t report pie/pif. so some users have drives for writing, drives for error scanning, drives for ripping and drives for everyday use. it’s just a hobby for most of them.

Same reasons some people have multiple cars even though they can only drive one car at a time: Different drives for different purposes, plus it’s fun!! :slight_smile:

Hence the name of the forum: CD Freaks! :bigsmile:

Actually i’ve counted 12 drives :eek:

Kprobe scans have been redone and reposted for:
MKM001
MKM01RD30
RITEK008

The original scans had low sampling counts.