Cdfreaks presents a small first look at dual layer writing

Here is a small first look at dual layer writing: http://www.cdfreaks.com/article/142

Just to make that clear; it’s just a very small taste of what you could expect. And fear not; we have more dual layer capable drives, so the coming weeks will be very interesting :wink:

I will start to ask: What do you want to see in our full dual layer articles and reviews? A lot technical information about the DL format? A lot of real world tests? Or something else?

Your opinions wanted!

Originally posted by OC-Freak
[B]…
I will start to ask: What do you want to see in our full dual layer articles and reviews? A lot technical information about the DL format? A lot of real world tests? Or something else?

Your opinions wanted! [/B]

Personally, I would like to see more of real-world tests. Of course, a background into DL format would be nice … but I think a lot of folks here want to know what they can do with the drive in normal day-to-day use.

We understand that, unfortunately there are currently some limitations on what we can show and can’t show due our agreements with the companies. They already send us a preproduction model which shows how eager they are to show their technology but as you will understand it has not been ‘perfectionized’ yet so they want to make that clear as well.

This to make sure that people don’t think these drive will underperform when they are officially released. Since we think many people would like to see the things we can show right now as well we didn’t have a problem with the current agreements, more will surely follow!

Very fascinating review, OC! The errors seemed lower than those found with the 700A. I am, however, very surprised by how few drives could read the media. Anyway, thanks for the sneak peak. :wink:

Originally posted by OC-Freak
[B]I will start to ask: What do you want to see in our full dual layer articles and reviews? A lot technical information about the DL format? A lot of real world tests? Or something else?

Your opinions wanted! [/B]

Good idea OC!
I think that a lot of real world tests is better…but if is possible both is much better.
I think that we will still see for a lot of time the problems seen in your small review.
We will have a combo of problems: discs and drives.

The “no disc” errors reported in many drives remind me of the problems we have had with the LiteOn burners and DVD-R media.
Sounds like something is not right with the format as it is being burned, not a disc quality issue per se. The drives are looking for something that is not there, or is in the wrong place on the disc.

I would like to see more of those compatibility charts like you had near the end of the article, including read speeds… at least until the compatibility issues have been ironed out.
Once that’s been taken care of, speed tests (CDSpeed) with a few drives, including DVD writers and DVD-ROMs would be nice.

Referring to this screenshot:

I remember having an LG 16x DVD-ROM drive (DRD 8160B I think it was) that would also misreport the disc size in CDSpeed - any DVD-R would appear to have 4.38GB, even if there was less than that much written on it, and a DVD-RW disc would appear to have 31.2GB or so! I’m not too sure what to make of that, maybe firmwares of some drives need to be updated to enhance dual layer compatibility? Then again, the drives should be able to read the discs, maybe it’s a problem at both ends?

I would like to see a compatibility test with set-top players from various brands if it’s possible. Maybe with a comparison of one disc burned with DVD-ROM book type and one with the standard book type and maybe using different software (in case some software has some bugs).

Too bad you couldn’t test the disc in more standalone players…

What about the layer change? When making an ISO image, is the layer change (as authored into the DVD Video) saved? And is it again written to exactly the place on the disk where it changes layer?

With data, is this done automatically? In the middle of a file or not? (It seemed there are some errors around the layer change…)

Bob

Originally posted by bobby555
[B]Too bad you couldn’t test the disc in more standalone players…

What about the layer change? When making an ISO image, is the layer change (as authored into the DVD Video) saved? And is it again written to exactly the place on the disk where it changes layer?

With data, is this done automatically? In the middle of a file or not? (It seemed there are some errors around the layer change…)

Bob [/B]

If I’m right it will always write 50% data on each layer, regardless of the amount of data written to the disc. And yes I think it’s all about adressing so files may be split on two layers if the layer shift is in a middle of a file.

Originally posted by jsl
I would like to see a compatibility test with set-top players from various brands if it’s possible. Maybe with a comparison of one disc burned with DVD-ROM book type and one with the standard book type and maybe using different software (in case some software has some bugs).

Unfortunately I’ve not yet got the Booktype tool from BenQ that supports DVD+R DL bitsetting…

All we want to know is which drives and which media do we buy to make reliable 1 - 1 backups of our DVD collection…

Let us all hope and pray they get the recording stable and discs readable by existing kit. It’s certainly scary times when all these pre-production models, not just by Benq, are spitting out discs incompatible with existing hardware.

Hold your nerve Gristy, hold your nerve…

P.S. No hold your willy jokes please!

Ah. So they’re calling that “nerve” these days, are they? Interesting. runs like hell :bigsmile:

OC, here’s a thought. How about a nice big super-duper article that goes into the heavy DL background and technology stuff, and then just link to that in the DL reviews to save yourself some repetitive typing when it comes time to do the reviews?

Originally posted by rdgrimes
The “no disc” errors reported in many drives remind me of the problems we have had with the LiteOn burners and DVD-R media.
Sounds like something is not right with the format as it is being burned, not a disc quality issue per se. The drives are looking for something that is not there, or is in the wrong place on the disc.

I thought about that as well, but I’m not sure that is the case.

My guess is that it’s similar to a regular DVD+R disc that cannot be read because the set top DVD player simply doesn’t recognize what it is. The player reads the book type and gets ‘confused’ and refuses to play it. When DVD+R was released it’s compatibility was less then stellar. Once manufacturers started adding support for the DVD+R book type it fixed the problem. Perhaps the same thing will happen with DL media. The new players will have DVD+R DL support by default.
I have a feeling that simply setting to DVD-ROM would fix the problem. I could be wrong but lets hope it’s that simple!

Your review is great. I would just like to know one more thing:

Does it work with PLAYSTATION 2 ?

Please, tell me, if the answer is yes, i’ll be eternaly gratefull :bow: :slight_smile:

For practical DVD DL burning, we need Taiwanese companies to manufacture the discs inexpensively first. :slight_smile:

I currently own a sony dru-700A, and have managed to make my first copy (lord of the rings 3) on a dvd+r dl media. I´m happy with the results, but i strongly agree with kenshin, discs are so expensive today, 75 dlls for 6 discs!!!.