CDFreaks Most Popular DVD Mediacodes

vbimport

[QUOTE=diane7;2127346]
Have you ever tried to explain to a TEC selling y da stuff about Stamp codes and Hub codes
the looks are as BLANK as the Media :bigsmile:[/B][/QUOTE]

Oh yes!!! and it just feels soooooo sweet :stuck_out_tongue: somehow you feel superior, and they just look completely powerless on their knees :stuck_out_tongue:
You should see the look on his face when you explain that “No, I DON’T want THIS pack of Verbatims, they might look the same to you, but son, THIS is Moser Baer, and that’s pretty dangerous stuff!!!:iagree::iagree::bigsmile::bigsmile:

you only do that with DL discs I hope? Single Layer MBI Verbs perform very similar to their MIT counterparts.

[QUOTE=Francksoy;2081923]I totally agree. :iagree: Polls for “best longevity” will mainly show only favorite media, not media actually tested for longevity, even less since very few members actually test for stability.

I see things in reverse actually, even in my everyday use of media: it’s easier to pinpoint inherently unstable media and name it, than declare something as stable, because even the best media can become unstable under specific conditions (lousy burn, lousy storing, high humidity, lousy handling…).

@schweino :
So far, I found to be unstable or suspect in my own collection of well burnt and carefully stored media:
TDK003 - made in Luxembourg (slow degradation, all)
TTH02 - made in Luxembourg (slow degradation, some)
RITEKG05 (very fast degradation, all)
RITEKG04 (fast degradation, most)
TYG02 (slow degradation, 3 discs out of 200)
MBIPG101 R04 (all under the RICOH brand, none under the IMATION brand)
TDKG0200 - made in Taiwan (only overspeeded discs degrade)

All the rest I’ve used gives no sign of degradation. There are too many brands and MIDs to be cited here. LOL :bigsmile:

A notable exception: ALL discs (including some of the best -R around) written in a JVC DR-M10 standalone recorder are degrading. Fast. But they were very lousy burns to start with, which backs up my previous explanation about lousy burns probably being more prone to degradation than good burns.[/QUOTE]

:bow:

Hi there! Newbie here, still very much learning but it would be really helpful if the few people could say which discs haven’t degraded, maybe not a poll as you say, but assuming good burns & correct storage. That’s what I care most about tbh, I don’t mind the odd coaster but for data backups longevity seems the most important to me. Most of my data is on RITEK G04/5 so will definitely be getting some more discs to copy them in case they become unreadable, if they aren’t already. :eek:

Thanks

Hi there! Newbie here, still very much learning but it would be really helpful if the few people could say which discs haven’t degraded, maybe not a poll as you say, but assuming good burns & correct storage. That’s what I care most about tbh, I don’t mind the odd coaster but for data backups longevity seems the most important to me. Most of my data is on RITEK G04/5 so will definitely be getting some more discs to copy them in case they become unreadable, if they aren’t already. :eek:

Thanks[/QUOTE]
Welcome to CDFreaks, and yes, that’s a good idea. :iagree:

:smiley: Thanks, unusual of me to have a good idea but maybe I’ve got to start sometime lol.

[QUOTE=gjazz;2157131]it would be really helpful if the few people could say which discs haven’t degraded[/QUOTE]It’s been done around already. :slight_smile:

Assuming that :

1. The burns are good (good burner, reasonable burning speed like @12X max for @16X rated media)
  2. The discs are in good condition before the burn (no excessive dust, no scratches, no defects)
  3. The discs are stored in good conditions (humidity <65%, temp < 30°C, no daylight, no horizontal storage, no free standing in paper or plastic sleeves, no paper labels)
  4. The disc are handled carefully
  5. The batch of blanks is not a problematic one
  6. The discs are genuine (no fake mediacode)

…the following MIDS are then fully reliable in terms of stability according to my personal experience and what I gather on this board and others:

TDK TTG02 (out of market) / MCC02 RG20 (disappearing) / MCC03 RG20 / MCC 003 (disappearing) / MCC 004 / YUDEN000T02 (disappearing) / TYG01 (out of market) / TYG03 / CMC MAG AE1 (disappearing) / CMC MAG E01 (disappearing) / CMC MAG AM3 / DAXON AZ3 / RITEK M02 (out of market) / RITEK F1 / SONY D21 / YUDEN000T03 / RICOHJPNR01 (out of market) / RICOHJPNR02 (disappearing) / RICOHJPNR03

Then, you have to understand that except for some proven unstable MIDs like Ritek G04 and G05, the 6 points above are MORE important, in terms of longevity, than the disc model used. :slight_smile:

[QUOTE=Francksoy;2157185]It’s been done around already. :slight_smile:

Assuming that :

1. The burns are good (good burner, reasonable burning speed like @12X max for @16X rated media)
  2. The discs are in good condition before the burn (no excessive dust, no scratches, no defects)
  3. The discs are stored in good conditions (humidity <65%, temp < 30°C, no daylight, no horizontal storage, no free standing in paper or plastic sleeves, no paper labels)
  4. The disc are handled carefully
  5. The batch of blanks is not a problematic one
  6. The discs are genuine (no fake mediacode)

…the following MIDS are then fully reliable in terms of stability according to my personal experience and what I gather on this board and others:

TDK TTG02 (out of market) / MCC02 RG20 (disappearing) / MCC03 RG20 / MCC 003 (disappearing) / MCC 004 / YUDEN000T02 (disappearing) / TYG01 (out of market) / TYG03 / CMC MAG AE1 (disappearing) / CMC MAG E01 (disappearing) / CMC MAG AM3 / DAXON AZ3 / RITEK M02 (out of market) / RITEK F1 / SONY D21 / YUDEN000T03 / RICOHJPNR01 (out of market) / RICOHJPNR02 (disappearing) / RICOHJPNR03

Then, you have to understand that except for some proven unstable MIDs like Ritek G04 and G05, the 6 points above are MORE important, in terms of longevity, than the disc model used. :)[/QUOTE]

:bow::bow::bow:

Thankyou!!! Thats really helpful.

I’ve just bought 600 Verbatim 16x -R MCC03 RG20 (ze0599-dvr-J47c1 whatever that is) Made in india (i didnt check, i should have been looking for Taiwan or Japan I guess).
I’m going to buy a LiteOn DH-20A3P (because I can get one cheap) as my old drive is an Liteon SOHW 812S which many years ago I thought was a cunning idea to update to an SOHW 832S) so flashing it again is probably not a good idea.

I had a search & found this, not sure but looks good.

I use big cd wallets for storage, I hadn’t thought about being horizontal mattering. Thanks a lot!!! :bow:

EDIT: I was using CD wallets, but from what I gather this is bad too so I’ve just ordered an aluminium case :slight_smile: This forum is excellent!

[quote=gjazz;2157563]This forum is excellent![/quote] It sure is. :iagree:

Welcome to CDFreaks! :slight_smile:

Thankyou, btw I love Terry Pratchett ^^

It would be nice if this thread would be updated for 2012. Or something that tells us what to buy now. Most data seems to be old, so I guess it’s outdated…

I thought this poll closed years ago.
Maybe a new poll instead of trying to update this old one…