CDFreaks Most Popular DVD Mediacodes

vbimport

[QUOTE=marcus_667;2081005]no TYG01 or T01 :sad:[/QUOTE]

Hehe awww :wink:

Re: Princo - I never actually tried any, haven’t even seen it here :eek:

[QUOTE=DrageMester;2080991]The PRINCO media code was nominated but excluded from the poll because it’s old 1-4x rated media and we’d rather have some modern and more widely available media in the poll.[/QUOTE]

Oh, I see. Yes in fact this media can be slow (up to 4x) but I thought that it could be in the poll because of the wide availability of this media.

Is this thread also the replacement thread for media longevity discussions, since the old “Which DVD+R / DVD-R media is best for long-term storage?” threads have both been closed an refer to this thread?

Or will there be a separate new thread for that as well?

I’m mainly interested in the current views on media longevity, especially now MCC 004 seems to be the media of choice nowadays and even Optodisc media seems to become popular amongst members here.

[quote=schweino;2081867]Is this thread also the replacement thread for media longevity discussions, since the old “Which DVD+R / DVD-R media is best for long-term storage?” threads have both been closed an refer to this thread?

Or will there be a separate new thread for that as well?[/quote] There’s only this poll for favourite media codes and another poll for favourite brands.

Polls tend to be popularity contest anyway, so even though the previous polls were about media for long term use, I think people voted for the media they liked the best then, and they will vote for the media they like best now in the current polls.

[QUOTE=DrageMester;2081882]Polls tend to be popularity contest anyway, so even though the previous polls were about media for long term use, I think people voted for the media they liked the best then, and they will vote for the media they like best now in the current polls.[/QUOTE]I totally agree. :iagree: Polls for “best longevity” will mainly show only favorite media, not media actually tested for longevity, even less since very few members actually test for stability.

I see things in reverse actually, even in my everyday use of media: it’s easier to pinpoint inherently unstable media and name it, than declare something as stable, because even the best media can become unstable under specific conditions (lousy burn, lousy storing, high humidity, lousy handling…).

@schweino :
So far, I found to be unstable or suspect in my own collection of well burnt and carefully stored media:
TDK003 - made in Luxembourg (slow degradation, all)
TTH02 - made in Luxembourg (slow degradation, some)
RITEKG05 (very fast degradation, all)
RITEKG04 (fast degradation, most)
TYG02 (slow degradation, 3 discs out of 200)
MBIPG101 R04 (all under the RICOH brand, none under the IMATION brand)
TDKG0200 - made in Taiwan (only overspeeded discs degrade)

All the rest I’ve used gives no sign of degradation. There are too many brands and MIDs to be cited here. LOL :bigsmile:

A notable exception: ALL discs (including some of the best -R around) written in a JVC DR-M10 standalone recorder are degrading. Fast. But they were very lousy burns to start with, which backs up my previous explanation about lousy burns probably being more prone to degradation than good burns.

I get a lot of off brand media. Sometime this is just to test but when shopping for blank media it is advised no matter of the brand to look on the labeling package and ensure it is made in Japan or Taiwan.

I was so looking forward to see the new polls! :slight_smile:

1. In my opinion, in this poll, there should be a more [B]extensive description for each mediacode[/B], which includes: [B]writing speed, format and manufacturer[/B], p.ex. CMC MAG.AM3 [I](16x DVD-R CMC)[/I].
    This will definitely help both inexperienced and more members.
    In addition, this is the way the mediacodes were described in the old polls:
    Which DVD+R media is best for long-term storage? [2006-2007] and Which DVD-R media is best for long-term storage? [2006-2007]

Mediacodes and descriptions for the current poll:

1. From the one hand, the DVD+/-R [B]DL[/B] and the DVD+/-R[B]W[/B] belong in the general category of DVD+/-R media, but from the other hand, they are [B]separate categories[/B]: one is for DVD+/-R DL and one is for DVD+/-RW. These products could be compared in separate polls and not to be included in this current poll.

Besides, a malicious viewer could accuse CDFreaks forum of being one-sided as in this poll there are only Verbatim’s DVD+R DL, although there are other considerable brands and manufacturers of DL media, too, such as Maxell, TDK, Philips, Ricoh, etc.

Of course, any one can claim that there is also the option of voting “Other - please specify in a post”. However the total result of any poll in obvious by the charts and the percentages and less by the posts. I think that is unfair for the members to vote considerable brands of DL media (although they were not nominated) by posting and not by voting directly in the poll.

I hope that moderators will understand that I wrote all the above having goodwill. :slight_smile:
I do not want to slight moderators’ efforts and contribution to the CDFreaks forum.

[QUOTE=enrmax;2082339]I was so looking forward to see the new polls! :slight_smile:

1. In my opinion, in this poll, there should be a more [B]extensive description for each mediacode[/B], which includes: [B]writing speed, format and manufacturer[/B], p.ex. CMC MAG.AM3 [I](16x DVD-R CMC)[/I].
    This will definitely help both inexperienced and more members.
    In addition, this is the way the mediacodes were described in the old polls:
    Which DVD+R media is best for long-term storage? [2006-2007] and Which DVD-R media is best for long-term storage? [2006-2007]

I hope that moderators will understand that I wrote all the above having goodwill. :slight_smile:
I do not want to slight moderators’ efforts and contribution to the CDFreaks forum.[/QUOTE]

Thanks for the suggestion, poll updated with a short description of what’s what :wink:

[QUOTE=Arachne;2082438]Thanks for the suggestion, poll updated with a short description of what’s what ;)[/QUOTE]:doh:! IMO now some visitors will think the name mentioned is the name of the brand / disc model.
Personally I don’t think it was a good idea. :disagree: - the mediacode is a descriptor, and if a visitor doesn’t know that, then better ask somewhere on the board about it, rather than (very possibly wrongly) extrapolate from what he sees in these descriptions.
I think such a presentation, without a clear explanation of what is a Mediacode (something this board lacks BTW :() , will add to the confusion of visitors looking for hints.
But well. My two cents of course.

Besides, a malicious viewer could accuse CDFreaks forum of being one-sided as in this poll there are only Verbatim’s DVD+R DL, although there are other considerable brands and manufacturers of DL media, too, such as Maxell, TDK, Philips, Ricoh, etc.
Sharp observation. I agree with this. :iagree:
That’s a downside of the nomination process i guess. With DL, no one thought about naming anyting else than Verbatim, and there were no anti-nominations. :doh: (but personally, actually I thought the poll would be for SL only.)

You can’t please all the people all the time, so the poll’s been returned to it’s former state.

As for what is and what isn’t in the poll. The nominations were open for a little longer than they should have been, and people had ample chance to get their nominations in - however, we are only allowed 40 options per poll, which is still an improvement on last time as we had only 30 then. :wink:

We also didn’t want to end up with a poll for this, a poll for that, and a poll for the other, as too many polls in itself would have confused people, especially newcomers to the forum.

However. Any suggestions from hereon in will certainly be considered for next year’s round of polls - how many polls to have, what to have polls for etc. :slight_smile:

Oh well, my choices are: MCC003 (i didn’t pick MCC004 for forever being problematic to me), MCC 02RG20 & 03RG20, RICOHJPN R03 and TYG02/T02 (Never had the chance to find any locally, but they’re still among my fav’s :slight_smile: )

well… i still have some other less-common and almost-extinct MIDs that have proven to match, if not surpass the ones mentioned above: OPTODISCR008, GSC003, GSC001, PRODISCR04, PRODISCR05, RICOHJPN R01, RICOHJPN R02 and my Last Caveman Alive MCC 00RG200 :bow: :bow:

[quote=headquarter84;2082751]Oh well, my choices are: MCC003 (i didn’t pick MCC004 for forever being problematic to me), MCC 02RG20 & 03RG20, RICOHJPN R03 and TYG02/T02 (Never had the chance to find any locally, but they’re still among my fav’s :slight_smile: )
[/quote]

Are RICOHJPN R03 still up to par with the best out there? I thought the new batches were a bit so so.

[QUOTE=schweino;2082818]Are RICOHJPN R03 still up to par with the best out there? I thought the new batches were a bit so so.[/QUOTE]

well, honestly they’re incomparable to the very few R02s i had… but still they’re of a really good quality when burned with the right burner, and i can’t say anything about how they became or how the new R03s are… the last one i got is at least 1 year old… i guess i need to have a new scan for to see if it really was worth the trust!

I thought Ricoh was being made by Ritek nowadays, and we all know to stay away from Ritek…

[QUOTE=schweino;2082929]I thought Ricoh was being made by Ritek nowadays, and we all know to stay away from Ritek…[/QUOTE]Aaaha, once again I beg to differ… :flower:

Unbranded/generic Ritek can be crap and usually is mediocre. :iagree:
El-cheapo-branded (Arita, Rimedia etc…) Ritek can be crap and usually is mediocre. :iagree:
Ritek G05 discs are time bombs. :iagree:

Well, this doesn’t mean in the least that everything Ritek is bad. :disagree:
If one avoids the 8X-R and the cheapo stuff, Ritek can be decent to very good. :slight_smile:

Ritek-made Ricoh-tech discs are mostly decent in my experience. Some on this board swear by them under certain brands, but I don’t remember which ones. :o

[QUOTE=Francksoy;2082930]Ritek-made Ricoh-tech discs are mostly decent in my experience. Some on this board swear by them under certain brands, but I don’t remember which ones. :o[/QUOTE]Maxell, Ricoh, Panasonic, and Memorex seem to get the better of RICOHJPN R03. Maxell is preferred by some in Europe when talking RICOHJPN R03, while [personally] Memorex RICOHJPN R03 has been better [in the U.S.].

Office Depot has some RICOHJPN R03 under its brand. RadioShack sells Gigaware [their house brand, I think] -branded RICOHJPN R03, but it’s quite variable. Other brands have also seen R03, but my memory fails me right now as to which brands.

Maxell and Memorex also have other 16x Ritek MIDs that peform fairly well [between the two, RITEK F16 and RITEKF1 come to mind immediately, along with RITEK R05–the twin to RICOHJPN R03-- performing well when it’s supported well].

Ricoh branded gold discs with RicohjpnR03 MID are MII by MBI

[QUOTE=Gary Kokkin;2107632]Ricoh branded gold discs with RicohjpnR03 MID are MII by MBI[/QUOTE]

does that mean that they are not performing well? (i.e. they suck?)… recommendations?!

Most used SL media these days: MCC004
Most used DL media: MKM001
Most used CD media: Taiyo Yuden

Favourite SL media that is widely available: MCC004, MCC 03RG20, TYG03, YUDEN000 T03

Favourite DL media that is widely available: MKM001, MKM003

Favourite media for archiving important data (still widely available): MAXELL 003 (Xtreme Protek), MXL RG04 (Xtreme Protek), MCC 02RG20 (Verbatim Archival Grade)

Favourite CD media: Taiyo Yuden, Mitsubishi, Sony

With media prices so low these days, there simply is no point in buying lesser quality media. Life is too short for that anyway.

di just found RIDATA F16001 (01h)
its better than the genuin VERBATUM PAPA and MAP sold in South Africa.
Burnt 9 movies since Sunday.
no “OUCH what kitty said” meaning no Pretty Colours :bigsmile:
going to post in blank media ,getting the Ducks in a row:p
:flower:[B]
Have you ever tried to explain to a TEC selling y da stuff about Stamp codes and Hub codes
the looks are as BLANK as the Media :bigsmile:[/B]