CDFreaks Most Popular DVD Brands

vbimport

Taiyo yuden Very good^^*

verbatim too

I bought quite a few packages of the recommended [B]AZO Verbatims[/B]. With my Panasonic DVD recorder numerous packages created >50% coasters! [B]What a disappointment![/B] :(:confused:

So then I tried a package of [B]Falcon[/B] DVDs + maybe got 1/2 coasters in the whole pack. So I hope that wasn’t a fluke. I’m ordering 200 more now.

There are a lot of Verbatim “Fakes” out there.
It also can depend a lot on the country of manufacture even when genuine.
I guess I’ve been lucky the only time I get a coaster is when I’ve done something wrong.
I did have a failing Lite On that caused some coasters a few years ago.

I even have good luck with brands like OfficeMax or Depot DVDs.

[QUOTE=shirleyuguest;2733834]I bought quite a few packages of the recommended [B]AZO Verbatims[/B]. With my Panasonic DVD recorder numerous packages created >50% coasters! [B]What a disappointment![/B] :(:confused:

So then I tried a package of [B]Falcon[/B] DVDs + maybe got 1/2 coasters in the whole pack. So I hope that wasn’t a fluke. I= ordered more + they seem to work fine.[/QUOTE]
In my post, when I wrote of Falcon DVDs, “1/2” means 1 [B][I]or[/I][/B] 2, not one-half; so if my luck holds with them, it may not be the recorder.

[QUOTE=shirleyuguest;2733834]…Panasonic DVD recorder…[/QUOTE]

Panasonic haven’t made PC DVD writers for many, MANY years. Time to upgrade to something a bit more modern, perhaps?

[QUOTE=terminalvelocd;2734607]Panasonic haven’t made PC DVD writers for many, MANY years. Time to upgrade to something a bit more modern, perhaps?[/QUOTE]

I think this may be a reference to the standalone DVD players/recorders used in home theaters; people are in serious love with some of Panasonic’s recorders and will work to keep them running for as long as possible.

Or maybe it’s in reference to the Matshita slim drives still shipping in computers and as slim external drives?

I dunno. Just listing some possibilities in case it isn’t the old Panasonic/Matshita SW-9… DVD-RAM drives people used to love using.

It’s a standalone DVD player/recorder that I originally bought to xfer my videos to DVD. If it fails, my plans are to buy the Magnavox mentioned throughout this thread.

And I’m always open to [B][I]SPECIFIC[/I][/B] suggestions.

[QUOTE=terminalvelocd;2734607]Panasonic haven’t made PC DVD writers for many, MANY years. Time to upgrade to something a bit more modern, perhaps?[/QUOTE]

[QUOTE=Albert;2734618]I think this may be a reference to the standalone DVD players/recorders used in home theaters; people are in serious love with some of Panasonic’s recorders and will work to keep them running for as long as possible.

Or maybe it’s in reference to the Matshita slim drives still shipping in computers and as slim external drives?

I dunno. Just listing some possibilities in case it isn’t the old Panasonic/Matshita SW-9… DVD-RAM drives people used to love using.[/QUOTE]

It is a standalone DVD player/recorder that I originally bought to xfer my videos to DVD. If it dies, then I probably would buy the Magnavox mentioned throughout this + other threads.

I’m always open to [B][I]SPECIFIC[/I][/B] suggestions.

It´s hard to find good DVD-media 2day.

I have old MCC 004 HP-labeled and even with overburning I have a Class 2 media when scan with Benq 1640 and a Quality 95 at scan with liteon 124, PIF 248.

Actual MBI-made MCC 004 have Q84 and PIF 3891 :frowning:

OK, the HP was burned @8x with PX-755 and the Verbatim @16x with Lite 524B but the PIF-clusters on Verbatim started long before the Lite reched 8x

Another question: Some weeks ago I found Prodisc 8x-media (only printable) on Ebay, but I don´t find it anymore :frowning:

Now I find on some british ebay-shops Ritek 8x-media G05 (G05 I bought at 2004/2005 or so) and Ritek R04 and F01 which I never get in Germany. All this media is Traxdata-branded

Are those media is remainders or did Ritek really manufacture all those media 2day? 8x-media _I don´t saw for many years in the shops, the last 16x Ritek I get was F1 and F16, long time ago it was P16

Yes, Ritek still manufactures G05 and F16/F1 and sells them under Ridata, Traxdata. Stay the hell away from G05 unless you know what you’re doing (short-term Playstation compatibility etc). They do not make P16 anymore. There is a lot of 8x media still available, apart from Ritek, Verbatim, CMC Pro and Falcon (TDK) still sell their 8x media codes.

To be frank with you, simply stay away from everything except CMC-made MCC 004 or MCC 003 if you want to use currently manufactured media. Buy small amounts (10/25pk spindles) to verify if they’re from a decent batch. Try burning them with different write strategies, eg. MBIPG101 R05 has worked well for me on Samsung drives. Never go above 8x (Z-CLV) or below 6x (CLV). Total PIF amount is not critical, and you should focus on the average jitter and max PIF (should stay below 10%, and 5, respectively).

Old stock Verbatim or Taiyo Yuden from eBay is also an excellent choice, and unless you can find good FTI-made MCC media (or you wanna gamble with CMC Pro), is your only consistent choice for CDspeed quality scores above 95 or the ability to have successful burns at 16x or above.

I wonder why 8x media isn´t available in germany since many years? And why it´s still in production?

I have some G05-media I´ve burned 2004-2005 and a rescan this year shows lower PIF-values than actual MBI-media :wink: . Some scans looks not that good but the lowest quality-index with Liteon as scanner is 64.

But I know it´s an old Ritek-problem (not only Ritek), the variations in quality is sometimes extreme, even with actual F1 and F16, results with Benq as scanner start at Class 2 and end at Class 4, even when same burner and same speed used.

CMC-made MCC are very hard to find here, maybe impossible. My 2013 bought Verbatims are MII, actual also. Maybe printable Verbatims still made by CMC, but I don´t like printable media and only buy it if there is no other choice (like Panasonic BD).

I always take a look if I go shopping and saw mostly MII, if the brand printed the manufacturers country, mostly doesn´t :frowning:

Exception was Sony -R and +R in Müller-market, that´s made in Taiwan, must be older batches.

FTI-made MCC I never saw here, I would sure remember if I don´t read MII or MIT :slight_smile:

CMC Pro is only printable?

Actual I use my older media for really important things. I have some Infiniti MCC 03RG20, some Plextor T03 and TYG03, some Verbatim T02 and Sony +R DL 2,4x made in Singapur :slight_smile:

My first try with Falcon since more than 10 years was not that good

I always take a look at max. PIF, but if you scan with a Liteon you often have results from Q84 to Q95, so I also take a look at total PIF amount.

Maybe I should do experiments with lower bruning speeds, at least I burn more than 3,5GB

I think that last part answers your first question :givewink:

The problem with G05 is not so much quality variation between burns as it is the fact that some of the discs become completely unreadable within weeks. Others last decades as yours did. Using these discs for anything but throwaway/single-use discs is extremely irresponsible.

I can’t attest to your problem of finding CMC made MCC media, stores around here stock only CMC-made discs and it’s become more difficult to obtain the MBI made stuff actually. I still have some discs left from spindles I bought last year though and I have some ideas on how to make those burn a little better, been too busy to put it in practice though.

What’s wrong with printable media? With CD-R’s printable media was generally considered better due to the fractionally better protection the printable layer offered, with DVD’s there is no difference whatsoever except for aesthetics.

Ritek F16/F1 or maybe CMC MID’s, (much) less likely Lead Data/Daxon made Sony MIDs.

CMC Pro media sold under that brand is printable only, but I’ve seen the “Powered by TY” discs been sold under other brands as well, maybe some distributor sells a non-printable version but I doubt it because it is professional media.

TTH02 rots to hell under TDK and FTI manufacturing as was again proven in a recent thread. Obviously not even close to being as bad as RITEK G05 but it’s still something to consider for long-term storage.

I haven’t seen FTI-made MCC media (single layer) recently either, maybe they quit production or lowered the volumes significantly.

Lucky one, you get everywhere Verbatim MIT? Here in germany it´s impossible to find since years.

Was TTG01 also manufactured by FTI? It was one of the best DVD-media I ever had. TDK-branded TTG02 was OK but not the same class with TTG01.

TTH01 (Mam-branded) and TTH02 (Datawrite) I had was also only OK

Maybe I missed something, but I can´t understand the hype of FTI here.

I don´t had much G05, it was a time I bought 5pcs or 10pcs Slimcases, but unreadable in some weeks? Never had this. One of the worst DVD-media I ever had was Infomer R20 and R30 (both Philips-branded) which degrades massive in a few years. But the last brand here who selled Infomedia was Intenso and they have since years AML and UME, which seems to be better.

I don´t like printable media because I write on the surface with a permanent marker or a CD/DVD-marker. Looks on some media awful, gets nearly unreadable on my Maxell BD-R 4x (RitekBR2). And I like colorful printings by the brand :wink:

TTG01 is old 4x media, that was once made also by CMC Magnetics, I don’t think it was made by FTI or at least not in large quantities. FTI “hype” is due to it being the last remaining manufacturer that has (had?) consistent enough quality that one spindle isn’t going to be great and next one full of coasters. So it is popular with professional duplicators etc. who don’t have money or time to mess around with low quality (= bad consistency) media. The issue with degradation is from the TDK’s spec, and for that reason I personally am not a fan of TDK MID’s.

I have a felt-tip pen for CD writing, it doesn’t have any more issues on printable media than branded, it will fade and become blurred if enough heat is applied (eg. recording) in any case. With professional media you can also buy non-inkjet printable (shiny silver / thermal printable) media which will be closer to the branded types.

RITEK G05:
Ritek G05 is crap media!
WARNING, RITEK G05. Data loss
My Ritek G05 scans - very bad deterioration
Ritek G05 = New Honorary Princo!
Ritek G05- My experience -Worst Discs Ever
A RITEK G05 just snapped in my LG burner

Thanks for the tipp, I never had any non-inkjet-printable, I guess.

I know some older G05-threads, but my G05 works sometheing between OK and good, maybe my Platinum and Primdisc are one of the better G05 :wink:

It´s hard to get these day good DVD-media, but you can get still CMC-made MCC which
I think it´s better than FTI, overall. A vary in qualitity could happen with every media. In Germany you get MBI and MBI-made Verbatim, which is not great. Even the cheap discounter own brands which used mostly Ritek and CMC around 4 years ago have MBI, MBI and MBI. And mostly +R which is more worse than -R, at least it´s my experience.

How do I know if a writer is using Z-CLV or CLV? The manufacturers don’t seem to share this information in their specifications.[quote=“Tester_1, post:94, topic:224956”]
CMC-made MCC are very hard to find here, maybe impossible.
[/quote]
All Verbatim DVD printable media I came across here have been made in Taiwan. But recently it’s getting more difficult to find non-printable media (for example 100-pack or 50-pack spindles) that are not made in India.

Dunno where you live, but here in Germany it´s almost impossible to find non-printable DVD-media which is not MII. Intenso, older batches of Kaufland Classic, and the Sony i saw at Müller , that´s all I found. And I looked at many places, believe me.

8x Z-CLV is very hard to find, I think some DVD-writers do it on RW, but not on R

LG show the specs

Liteon and Pioneer not, Samsung specs I don´t find on the official webpage

Ian from CDRlabs.com had tested older writers and wrot a lot of the specs

Looks like Samsung did/do it :wink:

But I´m not sure whether it´s a quality-thing, I think the writing strategy between 6x and 8x is the same, especially Samsung with so many write speeds would never optimize in 2x-steps from 4x to 24x the writing strategy for all speeds

If you have a lot of time use 6x, it´s mostly CLV, if the writing-strategy is good it would be work from begin to the end of the disc, and the rpm will be reduced so the media don´t flatter so strong at the end :wink:

Samsung should be the only one which offer a writing speed below 6x with 16x, LGs lowest speed is 8x, Liteon 6x, Pioneer 6x (I guess)

I have been buying Verbatim media from the local distributor for years and I had the luxury to choose the country of manufacture that I preferred when available. And I have lately found alternative sources with lower prices and again made in Taiwan media.

Maybe in your country, not in mine :wink: