CDFreaks Most Popular DVD Brands

vbimport

Perhaps I can change my choice for favourite blank media?

Demorez
Is Life? No. Demorez.

First [I]Compact Disc Digital Data DVD-R[/I] I have seen.

:bigsmile:

WOW! Widescreen even!

:clap:

[QUOTE=DrageMester;2435846]Perhaps I can change my choice for favourite blank media?

Demorez
Is Life? No. Demorez.

First [I]Compact Disc Digital Data DVD-R[/I] I have seen.

:bigsmile:[/QUOTE]

“Is Life? No. Demorez.” :bigsmile::bigsmile::bigsmile:

The real coup de grace humor piece though is when you actually open the outer amaray case. The disc itself (as seen above) has the appearance of a Demorez DVD-R. Obviously a shout out to Memorex, it even has the very Borat sounding tagline, “Is Life? No. Demorez.”

http://videoeta.com/news/2236

It’s the best pressed DVD design I have seen! :cool:

I have been using Verbatims for awhile now with very good results, scans all always 99.00% or better: MCC-004 with Liteon iHAP422. I have used all types of media from different vendors and none stand out above the rest. I found some older TY media (Fuji) in the keepcase T-02, these always burn well with very good scores. If I had to choose a top performing blank dvd+r, it would be the Maxell Dvd+r Highgrade made in Japan by Maxell (002) but these are very hard to find now. I have burned at 2.4x, 4x, 8x, 12x, 16x speed,
and I have the option of 18x and 20x with my burner. Speed really doesn’t seem to matter much with the overall quality score at least with my system. Even the new TDK media (CMC AM3) burns well with very good scores. I found some very old Verbatim media 2.4x speed! Made in Singapore/001/MCC, these are too old to try to burn. Smartburn says I can use a higher speed: 4x, 8x but I am sure it would lead to a coaster.

I choose SONY (Sony D21) and for second choice TDK (TDK 003). Those brands are the best I could get around here. :bigsmile:

[QUOTE=Arctic-Dragon;2493285]I choose SONY (Sony D21) and for second choice TDK (TDK 003). Those brands are the best I could get around here. :bigsmile:[/QUOTE]

I quite like the D21s. Certainly good enough if Verbies or TY are nowhere to be found IMO. :slight_smile:

[QUOTE=Arachne;2493309]I quite like the D21s. Certainly good enough if Verbies or TY are nowhere to be found IMO. :)[/QUOTE]

In my country Taiyo Yuden is a fictional brand haha :bigsmile: and Verbatim is selling fakes so my only good option is SONY according with digitalFAQ.com. :iagree:

But sometimes there is not even SONY so I have to purchase Philips DVD -R (CMC MAG.AM3). :rolleyes:

[QUOTE=Arctic-Dragon;2493320]In my country Taiyo Yuden is a fictional brand haha :bigsmile: and Verbatim is selling fakes so my only good option is SONY according with digitalFAQ.com. :iagree:

But sometimes there is not even SONY so I have to purchase Philips DVD -R (CMC MAG.AM3). :rolleyes:[/QUOTE]

Yeah, sadly TY aren’t the easiest discs to find, especially if you’re in a country where not many online stores (which are the best place to find TY) will ship to.

Some members I’ve spoken to have even had trouble finding Verbies, fake or genuine :eek:

Although I would trust the folks here more than I would the DigitalFAQ site, Sony is definitely a worthy alternative if you can’t easily get Verbatim/Taiyo Yuden.

Depending on your drive, the Philips CMC MAG. AM3 can be OK too, as long as you stick to something like 8x to burn. At least, they’ve been fine for me with a few different drive makes. :slight_smile:

[QUOTE=Arachne;2493322]Yeah, sadly TY aren’t the easiest discs to find, especially if you’re in a country where not many online stores (which are the best place to find TY) will ship to.

Some members I’ve spoken to have even had trouble finding Verbies, fake or genuine :eek:

Although I would trust the folks here more than I would the DigitalFAQ site, Sony is definitely a worthy alternative if you can’t easily get Verbatim/Taiyo Yuden.

Depending on your drive, the Philips CMC MAG. AM3 can be OK too, as long as you stick to something like 8x to burn. At least, they’ve been fine for me with a few different drive makes. :)[/QUOTE]

Is good to know that, I had doubts about Philips.:slight_smile: I always choose 8x for every DVD that I burn.:iagree:

My burner is a LG GH20NS15 and I never had any problem or failed burns even with discs like the MBI 01RG40 and many others brands of second class. :bow:

[QUOTE=Arctic-Dragon;2493326]Is good to know that, I had doubts about Philips.:slight_smile: I always choose 8x for every DVD that I burn.:iagree:

My burner is a LG GH20NS15 and I never had any problem or failed burns even with discs like the MBI 01RG40 and many others brands of second class. :bow:[/QUOTE]

Nice drive :D…I always burn at 8x, too :iagree:

Unless I’m testing a new drive and want to see what it can do at higher speeds, LOL.

The LG drives that I’ve owned have always liked MBIL discs, including the Verbatims made by MBIL. :wink:

EDIT: About Philips…the ones I’ve come across have either been CMC or MBIL…the MBIL ones have all burned fine (both 16x - and +R), and so have the CMC MAG. AM3 as I mentioned, but the CMC MAG M01 (the 16x +R) can be really hit or miss. :wink:

[QUOTE=Arachne;2493332]Nice drive :D…I always burn at 8x, too :iagree:

Unless I’m testing a new drive and want to see what it can do at higher speeds, LOL.

The LG drives that I’ve owned have always liked MBIL discs, including the Verbatims made by MBIL. :wink:

EDIT: About Philips…the ones I’ve come across have either been CMC or MBIL…the MBIL ones have all burned fine (both 16x - and +R), and so have the CMC MAG. AM3 as I mentioned, but the CMC MAG M01 (the 16x +R) can be really hit or miss. ;)[/QUOTE]

Sorry for my ignorance friend, but what’s mean MBIL? I don’t understand. :confused:

I know the CMC MAG. AM3 from Philips is not so bad :disagree: but I try to avoid it because is -R. I have more preference for the DVD +R because what I readed here:

http://adterrasperaspera.com/blog/2006/10/30/how-to-choose-cddvd-archival-media

:bigsmile:

[QUOTE=Arctic-Dragon;2493408]Sorry for my ignorance friend, but what’s mean MBIL? I don’t understand. :confused:

I know the CMC MAG. AM3 from Philips is not so bad :disagree: but I try to avoid it because is -R. I have more preference for the DVD +R because what I readed here:

http://adterrasperaspera.com/blog/2006/10/30/how-to-choose-cddvd-archival-media

:bigsmile:[/QUOTE]

I prefer to use +R too, but I’d rather use CMC MAG. AM3 than the CMC MAG M01 :wink:

MBIL = Moser Baer India Limited. :slight_smile:

[QUOTE=Arachne;2493411]I prefer to use +R too, but I’d rather use CMC MAG. AM3 than the CMC MAG M01 :wink:

MBIL = Moser Baer India Limited. :)[/QUOTE]

Alright, now I understand haha. :bigsmile:

I think both discs are pretty good, I have a few of them and they are still fine with the past of the time. :slight_smile:

Of course I care my discs too much. :iagree:

Recently I purchased a bulk of Verbatim DVD R+ and they are Ritek F16 001. Too bad. I hope these discs last as long as the others. :sad:

[QUOTE=pepst;2080783]Emtec - this brand is one of the last sources of interesting and crap MID codes :stuck_out_tongue: :bow:
Seriously, I do not have any favourite brands right now except Verbatim. New TYs are terrible (and TY media are generally extremely overrated), so I do not buy Panasonic DVD-Rs any more. Sony is selling both good and crap media, Philips media are overpriced and hard to find here (especially those with INFOMEDIA MID, which are very good), HP are overpriced too, Maxell MIJ are almost impossible to find…
But I like Intenso’s CD-R (Daxon) and their AML DVDs are also quite decent and LG’s DVDs are very good for their price. And I hope that TDKs made in UAE will be available here (in Slovakia) soon.[/QUOTE]

Sorry to quote you nearly two years buddy - But I had to add my input here. Phillips media IS garbage - CMC MAG exclusive :Z

TY media is very overated, IMO. Why pay £40 for a pack of 100, when Verbies do an excellent result for under £20? (Milage may vary…)

Emtec… Good god never mention them again :Z Although what little I have remaining seem stable (bought from Comet in 2007) it has a Plasmon ID code… Which is alleged to be worse than CMC MAG :frowning: (Infact all of my Plasmon discs are holding up nicely…)

VERY bottom of the barell media :frowning:

TDK were a good brand, I think they are outsourcing now? :confused:

Actually, Philips and Emtec media can be very good - if you are very lucky to find an Infomedia (Philips) or FTI (Emtec) made ones.

[QUOTE=Chad_Bronson;2572549] TDK were a good brand, I think they are outsourcing now? :confused:[/QUOTE]
Yes, they do not make media any longer, all TDK media are now outsourced from MBIL/FTI/CMC Magnetics/Ritek.

Do you know when TDK quit making their own media? Just curious as I have a 100 pack here that I bought probably 3 years ago but have never opened.

[QUOTE=SLM crew chief;2572913]Do you know when TDK quit making their own media? Just curious as I have a 100 pack here that I bought probably 3 years ago but have never opened.[/QUOTE]
TDK ceased the CD & DVD recordable media manufacturing in Japan (they are still making the BD-R & BD-RE media there) at the end of 2005 and their Luxembourg plant in 2006.
Is the country of origin marked on your TDKs?

Thanks for the information. :slight_smile:

I just dug them out… Made in Taiwan. The package is marked with the copyright symbol then 2008. I remember I bought them on sale pretty cheap so if they’re junk it’s no great loss.

Word of warning. Be wary when you buy TDK media. As it is outsourced, they can often package up low quality, crap discs. And, of course, you can get some good ones, but as we are broke, I’m not willing to gamble. :slight_smile: