CDFreaks Interviews Digital Storage Reps – time for Imation

vbimport

Have you ever wondered what your favorite company is up to? :iagree: Would you like to know more about their decisions, (new) products and background information? Now you can! CDFreaks is organizing a series of interviews with digital storage related persons. The coming time we will ask them what you want to know!

Here some examples of types of questions you could ask:

Current products
New products
Company information
Market details / outlook
Future opportunities
Personal questions for the person

What’s next?
This week we will ask questions to Imation

Please post your questions below in this thread. In two weeks, all questions will be collected. We pick the best ones and report the answers back on CDFreaks.com! So, stay tuned!

Mind you, this is not an engineer, if you have very technical questions you’re better of posting them in a thread here.

Cheers

L.

I’d like to know what the plans are for further development/releases of DVD±R DL media, printable and non-printable.

Have they got anymore Optodisc-made Imation media stashed anywhere, and could they send it all to me? :stuck_out_tongue:

Where are BD-RE media Memorex with IMATN E_2-000 MID code manufactured?

[QUOTE=pepst;2048555]Where are BD-RE media Memorex with IMATN E_2-000 MID code manufactured?[/QUOTE]

USA:bigsmile:

Imation have often used CMC Magnetics in the past for both their CD-R and DVD media. Will they use CMC for Blu Ray blank media production also?

[QUOTE=dakhaas;2048558]USA:bigsmile:[/QUOTE]

Really? I didn’t know that Imation owns any manufacturing facility and even in USA… Could it be a former factory of CD-Recordable or Mam-A?

No own plant.

[QUOTE=dakhaas;2048865]No own plant.[/QUOTE]

Who is their real manufacturer then? Panasonic or Sony USA?
BTW what do you know about (for more than 5 years defunct) CD-R and DVD-R manufacturer Cd-Recordable.com from USA?

[QUOTE=pepst;2049016]Who is their real manufacturer then? Panasonic or Sony USA?
BTW what do you know about (for more than 5 years defunct) CD-R and DVD-R manufacturer Cd-Recordable.com from USA?[/QUOTE]

A bit to short and screwed up and went lost in translation.

Imation has there own plant.They make the BD-RE themselves.
Yeah suprising isn’t it. :slight_smile:

I know nothing about cd-recordable.com from the usa, except for the fact that they used Plasmon stampers to produce media.

(I’ve just used Nero CD/DVD Speed to check out my stash of CD-Rs, about 200 of them, and so far 10-20 CMC MAGs showed damage)

So my question to Imation would be …

Would Imation consider backing their discs with high grade dyes (at least higher than CMC MAG)? Tayio Yuden would rock, but Prodisc, Ritek would be OK too.

Will Imation release the 12x DVD-RAM product in other markets too? That would be great. :slight_smile:
(It is already released in certain parts of Asia.)

What will Imation do with the TDK brand? Will they continue using TY for OEM or are they going to change OEM?

In particular, I’d like to ask Imation a couple of questions about its very aesthetically pleasing Imation Neon CD-R range.

Like these:
http://www.shopimation.com/product_detail.asp?T1=IMA+15808&CAT=CD&SUBCAT=cdr&SKW=cdrmedia

1. Any plans to make them more readily available in Europe?
  2. What type of media is used to back them? CMC?

Livia, please asked them when they will finally stop selling all those crap they can get cheaply. :stuck_out_tongue:

BTW: interviews with MBI, FTI or Frank Fan (Anwell) would be very interesting :flower:

[QUOTE=pepst;2050818]Livia, please asked them when they will finally stop selling all those crap they can get cheaply. :stuck_out_tongue:

BTW: interviews with MBI, FTI or Frank Fan (Anwell) would be very interesting :flower:[/QUOTE]

Hey Pepst,

What do you mean with “all those crap they can get so cheaply”?

L.

[QUOTE=Livia;2057306]Hey Pepst,

What do you mean with “all those crap they can get so cheaply”?

L.[/QUOTE]

Imation was (or is :confused:) famous for selling B-grade media and changing of OEM manufacturers. Fortunately, now are Imations of at lease average quality, so don’t take my question too seriously, it was just a joke :stuck_out_tongue:

[QUOTE=pepst;2057332]Imation was (or is :confused:) famous for selling B-grade media and changing of OEM manufacturers. Fortunately, now are Imations of at lease average quality, so don’t take my question too seriously, it was just a joke :p[/QUOTE]

Actually, Imation has been one of the better brands in terms of certain media. Their CMC MAG E01 was top notch, their OPTODISC R16 was outstanding, and if you’re looking for any MBIPG101 R05 in the states, they are the goto brand.

Like CMC’s reputation, let’s not bash Imation for something that happened back in the 2x or 4x days. Since they hit 8x, things have been fairly decent. Anyone disagree?

[QUOTE=negritude;2057504]Actually, Imation has been one of the better brands in terms of certain media. Their CMC MAG E01 was top notch, their OPTODISC R16 was outstanding, and if you’re looking for any MBIPG101 R05 in the states, they are the goto brand.

Like CMC’s reputation, let’s not bash Imation for something that happened back in the 2x or 4x days. Since they hit 8x, things have been fairly decent. Anyone disagree?[/QUOTE]

That’s hittin the nail right on the head.

Any updates on this?