Cddvdw ts-h652h dvd/cd-rom

vbimport

I have a TSSTcorp CDDVDW TS-H652H DVD/CD-ROM drive and it use to burn dvd and cd-r with no problem. I have not been using this feature for sometime and recently decided to backup my computer onto dvd-rw(s) that are Memorex brand (4x speed). It only recognizes the disk as cd-rw instead of dvd-rw. Also it shows that the amount of used space on the disk that has not been used, pulled from the bottom of the stack of unused disk has 4.37gigs of used space. I have tried uninstalling/updating software, rebooting and what not. The computer it is on is a Emachines with Windows XP. The drive has always had problems with different brands, but usually memorex has worked. Any ideas or input about this problem would be greatly appreciated because there are a lot of files that need to be backed up. Note the dvd-rw(s) are working great on my laptop for burning/reformatting so I am rather confused about this.

Desktop: Windows XP Home Edition (service pack 3)

Well the drive doens’t support the media.

One thing you can try. Get a copy of the firmware for your drive and see if MCSE (media code speed edit) will open the firmware. This piece of software (created by the all mighty ala42 :bow: ) allows you to swap the writing strategy from the current one to a more common one that your drive can use. You can swap it to something like MCC01.

If it doesn’t work for your firmware then just buy some more media or a new burner since their only like $20 now a days. :slight_smile:

Get MCSE HERE

Hi and Welcome![QUOTE=cws2251;2540996]I have a TSSTcorp CDDVDW TS-H652H DVD/CD-ROM drive and it use to burn dvd and cd-r with no problem. I have not been using this feature for sometime and recently decided to backup my computer onto dvd-rw(s) that are Memorex brand (4x speed). [/quote]Okay. Memowrecks. :eek:

It only recognizes the disk as cd-rw instead of dvd-rw.
What kind of software are you using? For writing data onto DVD media you need 3rd party software, since XP’s built-in burning engine does support CD only.

Michael
P.S. Thread moved to Samsung writers.

Hello and thanks for the reply(s) :),

reply from mciahel --> What kind of software are you using? For writing data onto DVD media you need 3rd party software, since XP’s built-in burning engine does support CD only

:doh: I should have realized this before that this was the same trouble this pc had last time I tryed to burn dvds. I ended up tracking down a software that I had called Power2go and it seems to have solved the problem. The program does recognizes the disk as dvd-rw and currently am backing up my computer. :clap: Thanks for the help and if I run into some problems again I may try what eric93se had mentioned. -->

Get a copy of the firmware for your drive and see if MCSE (media code speed edit) will open the firmware. This piece of software (created by the all mighty ala42 ) allows you to swap the writing strategy from the current one to a more common one that your drive can use. You can swap it to something like MCC01.

I am rather cheap and would like try to salvage what I can with this pc than spend money on adding or upgrading new hardware :bigsmile: Again thanks for the help.

[QUOTE=cws2251;2541058]Hello and thanks for the reply(s) :),[/quote]You’re Welcome :slight_smile:

I am rather cheap and would like try to salvage what I can with this pc than spend money on adding or upgrading new hardware :bigsmile: Again thanks for the help.
Fiddling with the firmware’s write strategies is something for people who know what they are doing.
If you reallly have problems with your [I]Memowrecks[/I], then you might check if there is a firmware update for your drive. If I remember correctly, then this is an OEM version of Samsung’s SH-S202H. Application of this firmware is somewhat tricky, so check my signature first.

Michael

Changing the write strategy of RW disks is not recommended.