.CDA Format Problem

vbimport

I Had A Disc That Wouldn’t Work In My CD Drive, So I Took It up My Friends House. I E-mailed The Tracks To Myself In .CDA Format And They Will Not Play Because They Are In This Format. I Have Lost The Disc now, So I Cannot Go Back To My Friends House And Do It Again. The File Sizes Are All 44 bytes. I Have The Tracks On My PC.

Please Help!!!

The .cda files are small “pointer” files. These direct the drive playing an Audio CD to the actual file where the music is .
The above is the best I can explain it simply . A commercial pressed CD doesn’t actually have files.

A CD is read by focusing a 780 nm wavelength (near infrared) semiconductor laser through the bottom of the polycarbonate layer. The change in height between pits and lands results in a difference in the way the light is reflected. By measuring the intensity change with a photodiode, the data can be read from the disc.

In the future you need to used a ripping software like EAC or dBpowerAmp CD Ripper .
WMP is a crappy CD ripper so don’t use it.
Then rip to a lossless format like .wav or .FLAC . The resulting files will be between 30MB & 100 MB & can vary some outside of that but usually don’t. This would mean a 10 track CD with an average of 50MB for each track is 500MB .
It would be nice if songs could be compressed to 44 bytes & still sound good.
I don’t think 44bytes would be a blip you could hear.
So better luck next time . We all have to learn.

[QUOTE=cholla;2598303]The .cda files are small “pointer” files. These direct the drive playing an Audio CD to the actual file where the music is .
The above is the best I can explain it simply . A commercial pressed CD doesn’t actually have files.
[/QUOTE]

Yeah that’s correct. :iagree:

Basically the data stored on a CD is in analogue format and the laser reads it just like the needle in an old style record player.

So although CD is a digital medium rather confusingly it’s being used to store analogue data.

There are no files and the CDA pointers are just a convenience for Windows.

[B]Wombler[/B]

Yup. .CDA are only pointers…

CDDA contains 16bit stereo RIFF WAVE format files (intel or motorala headered). :slight_smile: