CD Writing Software advice

Hello friends;

I have a Hitachi LG 4120b DVD/CDRW Combo drive, and I 've got a small software question.

Currently I am using WinISO to make HDD backups of my CDs and then I lock my CDs in a sealed box forever :bigsmile: Then I write them to Imation CDRs using Roxio Easy CD Creator.

Recently I’ve begun to notice a ever increasing pile of bad-write CDRs in my trash can. I’ve also had a problem ripping MAFIA as when I try to write it CD1 won’t work. AT ALL!

Someone please advise me on what CD writing software I can buy that will not only work well with my drive, but will make EXACT copies of my CDs so I won’t have to go to gamecopyworld and download NoCD patches for my games.

Please help :bow: :smiley:

most popular are:

Alcohol 120%
CloneCD
Blindread/Write

i think that Alcohol 120% is one off the best programs around these days. it works really well on SD protected cd’s for Securom very new you have to mount the image in the virtual device to get it running, or get a no cd patch.

You remind me, of me, on my first post!

WinISO is a good program but limited against latest software protections. Leave CD Creator for backing up data.

You can d/l trial versions of GameJack, Alcohol 120%, Blindwrite, CloneCD and some others…

I’m not aware of your drive’s capabilities but I suspect it will not deal with SafeDisc2 (Mafia is SD 2.7). It may or may not read a SecuROM v4.8x protected image.

You have a bit of searching to do on the forum, too before trying to burn. Also, read the sticky posts at the top of each burning forum :wink: May I suggest you try the software I have listed and get back to us.

Blindwrite can produce a working backup of SecuROM v4.8x. Emulation available from v4.2.5

CloneCD can produce a working backup of SafeDisc 2 on just about any burner with some caveats (unique emulation)

Alcohol, Fantom CD and CD Mate can also pre-master as well as backup. Emulation available

GameJack can backup, emulate and has a neat archive feature.

Competition is great at the moment and it’s a matter of choosing what you’re comfortable with and is compatible with your system.

@ FutureProof:

you said in your reply that mafia is SD 2.7
when i scan my (original) mafia cd with clonyxxl the program tells me that it’s protected with SD 2.51
who’s wrong here???

btw
i was able to get an working back-up off mafia by using a ultraplex 40 max as the reader and a Sanyo CRD BP4N 16/10/40 SCSI writer.
using ccd version 3 with AWS option enabled.
since the sanyo is a zero sheep writer i tought that you need ccd 4 to make a working back-up :confused:

@ FutureProof:

when i scan my (original) mafia cd with clonyxxl the program tells me that it’s protected with SD 2.51
who’s wrong here???
Use Safedisc Analyser for checking on the exact SD version of the game, then you’ll be sure about it. I wouldn’t trust Clony on reporting the exact SD version.

weird program

needs an .exe (can only find the launcher on the mafia cd)
and then needs an .icd file, can’t find that file at all

Futureproof, Maelstrom, thanks a huge bunch for your advice :slight_smile:
Not only is Alcohol 120% a great program, but I now have a virtual drive so I don’t HAVE to burn Mafia as a CD again :smiley:

Only problem is ALcohol doesn’t make images in my format of preference which is ISO. The only ones it does are CCD, Bin and another one I can’t remember…

Any advice? :slight_smile:

Also, if you guys are playing Mafia, I need help. The game crashes to Windows XP when its trying to load the second mission (Running Man) and I just can’t get past it.

Ciao :smiley:

Sky

Originally posted by Maelstrom
[B]weird program

and then needs an .icd file, can’t find that file at all [/B]
The icd file is needed only in case of older SD versions, maybe only in SD 1, i am not sure though. If you pick the right exe in the first place, then the icd file will come up on thenext screen - you don;t have to look for it. Sometimes you have to look in the intstallation directory for the protected exe, i sometimes cant find it in the CD.

Originally posted by Maelstrom

and then needs an .icd file, can’t find that file at all

The .icd is required for older SD2. The SD2 version for Mafia is in the .EXE on the hard disk

“Sky” wrote:
>
[…]
>Only problem is ALcohol doesn’t make images in my format of
>preference which is ISO. The only ones it does are CCD, Bin and
>another one I can’t remember…

Friends, I owe you an apology.

First off, Alcohol DOES do ISO. It seems I tried making an ISO from a Multi track CD (Moto Racer - Pretty old game) and it didn’t give me the ISO option. :smiley:

Thanks for the advice though :slight_smile:

Since we’re talking about Alcohol, does anyone have any good advice on the best settings for making an Image? If so, please let me know.

Thanks again

Ciao

Sky

I think I know what the prob is whith the ClonyXl Reading of the Protecion get New Version of Clony (v2.0.1.0) you must be running ver close to 2.0.0.6 that might just read it right cause same thing happened to me Istill keep the old one around cause I Cant read German :eek:

PS Please excuse many Typos and SPelling errors DOnt know all the english rules for writing

who’s wrong here???

btw
i was able to get an working back-up off mafia by using a ultraplex 40 max as the reader and a Sanyo CRD BP4N 16/10/40 SCSI writer.
using ccd version 3 with AWS option enabled.
since the sanyo is a zero sheep writer i tought that you need ccd 4 to make a working back-up

maby you got like 100 posts on this but get a new version of Clonny that should fix it all up pre 2.0.1.0 will detect it aas 2.51 and have now the 2.0.1.1a and will see how that goes

Happy Burning

Originally posted by |nsomnIac
[B]you said in your reply that mafia is SD 2.7
who’s wrong here???

since the sanyo is a zero sheep writer i tought that you need ccd 4 to make a working back-up [/B]
Clony is wrong and who’s to say that the Sanyo is not a rebadged Plextor :wink:

who knows :slight_smile:

but mine sanyo broke down last week :frowning:
not his fault tough, let it fall from 3 meters,stupid me
so looking for a new one, but thats not so easy. very hard to find one, almost no one sell them anymore.

Since we are on the topic mind if I ask witch is the best CD protection detection software out there/???

including version

thanx much apreciate !!

:bigsmile: