CD-Writing in EAC, Nero, BAO (Benq 1620)

vbimport

I have a Benq 1620 in Win 2K.

Is there any specific reason why I can’t burn audio CD at 4X in Nero and BAO (available 8X and up)…

at the same time, I am able to burn at 4X in EAC, but I have often bad results, depending on the media (I just did a bunch of Prodisc, labelled Memorex CD-R, but my Micromega Cd player seems to have problem getting to the index table)…

Any clue?

Hi and Welcome!

I suspect, your drive can’t write CD media slower than 8x. My DW1650 won’t go below 12x. Please insert a blank CD-R into your drive and run Nero CD/DVD speed. Check the “Disc Info” tab. It will show you, what speeds are supported by your drive with this disc. As far as I remember, Nero only offers the speeds that are supported by the drive’s firmware.

at the same time, I am able to burn at 4X in EAC, but I have often bad results,
EAC is still beta;)
depending on the media (I just did a bunch of Prodisc, labelled Memorex CD-R, but my Micromega Cd player seems to have problem getting to the index table)…
If a picky CD player fails to read certain discs, then the only solution is to try different brands or replace the player. Trying to burn as low as (im)possible does not help. Keep in mind, that modern 48-52x rated media are not designed for low speed. Nor is your drive. Burning audio CD at 16x is a very common recommendation here in the forums. Using lower speeds don’t improve the quality and readability of the disc.

Michael

better burn the audio CD’s at 16x. you’d get better results that at 4x. don’t burn on low speed on high speed media.

I personally always burn audio cd’s at 16x and data cd’s at 32x on my Benq Dw1620 as this gives the best quality scans. I also tend to get better results with firmware B7V9 rather than B7W9 especially on cd’s. However, you will find that the current quality of Memorex cdr’s is generally very poor and I suggest you try Verbatim or Maxell as the difference is considerable.

only if they are “Made in Japan”. :bigsmile:

Michael

Indeed, the Memorex (Prodisc) CD-Rs give me scan results (16X) in the 70-90 range.
Still, testing them in EAC give me generally good results.
Can I trust the EAC tests results?

Hi,

You should not rely on the quality score guessed by CD/DVD speed, as not all errors are reported in the standard test. Do the advanced quality scan instead. And use high read speeds (40x) for CD scanning.

Still, testing them in EAC give me generally good results.
Can I trust the EAC tests results?
I would not. But as a readability test it would be an add-on. But still in that case there is the transfer rate test in CD/DVD speed.

Michael