Cd writer wont work with xp

vbimport

hi my name is lisa

i had windows Me and upgraded to windows xp. my cd writer is a mitsumi cr-48x5te and now it wont work! it will play music cds, cdroms but if i put in a blank cd, it takes it hostage, and i cant get it out. and the green light flashes on off on off on off. only way to get it out is to press eject button on the dos screen when i reboot.

i searched online and found that others have had the same problem, and most were told to buy a new cd-writer. but today i searched again, and found that adaptec easy cd creater 4 is not compatible with xp.

does anyone know how i could fix my problem? please help me!

Hi Lisa !

Welcome to the forum !

Here are some suggestions for you :

1. Try uninstalling IMAPI ( the XP build-in burning program )

Goto : Start > Run > type in services.msc there and click OK >

Scroll down to IMAPI CD-Burning Com Service and double click on it >

in the new opened window go to Startup Type and choose Disable, then click OK > Reboot the PC.

1. If that doesn’t help and the problem still occurs, take the following steps which are discribed here :

[COLOR=blue]How to uninstall Easy CD Creator Basic or Deluxe 3.x or 4.x in Windows XP?

or

How do I uninstall Roxio’s Easy CD Creator 4.0x or 5.0x from Windows XP in Safe Mode?

1. Get yourself a new burning software, like e.g Nero.

Good luck ! [/COLOR] :smiley:

thanks heaps for your reply i really appreciate it!

im a bit scared, last week i was sitting at my comp, and all of a sudden, “poof” half of my desktop icons disappeard! and then my start menu was empty, i rebooted, and it stayed the same, so i did a system recovery, which got it back, but to my horror, the entire ‘my documents’ was empty! every single file had dissappeard!! i cried. lol. (i had been lazy on copying things to disk ) so my comp has been in getting fixed for the last 4 days, and luckily they recovered almost all of the data!

so i get it back, and try to copy files to cd, but, the writer wont work. and ive spent ages trying to figure out whats wrong.

so im really scared to do anything, in case all my documents disappear again! could there be a chance of that happening if i uninstall easy cd creator 4?? :confused:

Originally posted by vampia88

im a bit scared, last week i was sitting at my comp, and all of a sudden, “poof” half of my desktop icons disappeard!

That’s the long arm of Moscow, lol.

the entire ‘my documents’ was empty! every single file had dissappeard!! i cried. lol.

I can imagine - all those boy-friends’ pictures and love letters had been gone. :bigsmile:

and luckily they recovered almost all of the data!

Good. Let me ask you one thing - how much did it cost you to recover the lost data ?

so i get it back, and try to copy files to cd, but, the writer wont work.

Apparently this is because of the softwares’ conflict - yours and the build-in.

and ive spent ages trying to figure out whats wrong.

Yeah, but what was it that made you to come here ? I mean, how did you find the site ?

so im really scared to do anything, in case all my documents disappear again! could there be a chance of that happening if i uninstall easy cd creator 4?? :confused:

No, there are no reasons to be scared the way you are.

As I told you, firstly try the IMAPI disabling and so on.
Uninstalling EZ CD Creator won’t cause the PC and you any harm.

Finally, there is a very decent program called FinalData, one of the few out there that earned my deep respect.
You can download a demo to see how it handles the lost data recovery.
All in all, here’s the info > www.finaldata.us/products/products_fd_ent.php

take it into consideration, 'coz who knows ? it might come in handy oneday. :smiley:

lol, ok what is the long arm of moscow? lol sounds weird :confused: lol

it cost me $196.88 including gst new zealand dollars (yes im a lil kiwi he he) which was for 3.5hours labour. they said it took alot longer than that, but they didnt actually have to sit at the comp while it did its thing.

i searched for things on easy cd creator on yahoo, thats how i came here. im sooooo glad i did! lol i found a lil gem of a forum :bow:

ok. i will try the things that you have told me to try, and hope i dont stuff it up somehow. im having bad luck lately lol. crosses her fingers

thanks again for your help :bigsmile:

wow that is alot …I use a program called get data back and it gets all data so far I have …from fdisk and format …

http://www.runtime.org/gdb.htm

you put in on another pc and then hook up drive you want …and in one hrs or less there is all the data on the drive …I loved it …but boskin i looking into other one you mention … just had to say dang that is alot to pay to get data back when if you had second pc you could have used one of the programs listed and got it back i am sure no problems

also there is a slight bug found in roxio that when burning with dvd burner it will not burn found that one out hard way …thati s why i switched to nero …but heyjust some food for thought

ok i tried diabling the IMAPI Cd-Burning Com Services. but it did nothing. the cd still got taken hostage, and nero just stopped responding.

what should the starter type be on as default? mine was on manual. and it said that it had stopped. so i dunno if that might have anything to do with it or not.

well the default is manual …

if i was you I would take the drive to another xp machine and just see if it works …and if it does then you know it is something software wise …I know roxio uses it own burning engine that sometimes causes problems …I have used nero alot and worked …

but sometimes doing upgrade like ME to xp someitmes dont work out too good .sometimes better to have fresh load cause some registry entries do get screwed up … just to let ya know …

but i would try that above and if it works you know it is something in your system …

also there is burner patch for windows xp listed here

http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?displaylang=en&FamilyID=70446CF9-5B5A-4733-A9AF-E6AD6A2D96A1

doesnt hurt to have that …and do u have service pack 1 installed with xp ??

Various programs provide various .VXD, .SYS and other known device driver extensions that, while suitable for Win9x, upset XP terribly. This is the main reason for not upgrading over an existing installation.

Anything in the Win9x IOSUBSYS folder is loaded into one the three kernel rings awaiting use - assuming the program has not been uninstalled.

You can use Feurio! to identify rogue .VXD and .DLL and other extensions for name changing. You should also browse through the Nero Tool Tips to likewise identify rogue device drivers.

If it’s not too late and you know someone who’s a little PC literate, it may high pay-off to reformat and reinstall XP.

Edit:

I meant to add that the Win9x device drivers are assumed to be needed in XP, hence the problems sometimes.

Only a very good diagnostic technician or one who has seen it before will be able to fix it. Make sure they image your drive or at least back up your data to their network which should cost about USD$10 as part of the service.

ok wow, im gettin hella confused lol! i might just take it to my computer technician to get him to fix it lol.

i cant reformat, cos i will loose all my files, which since my burner wont work, i cant get onto cd, and i cant loose it all.

but thanks heaps for all your help i appreciate it!

Hey you said that you upgraded to me and the cd takes the disc hostage??

First of all im not going to tell you ditch the EZCD but I would myself. Anyway, if you upgraded ME to XP you may have problems with dll’s and the vxd and other assorted system files.
Maybe those cd’s (the blanks) might be damaged before you put it in. Yes they could be messed up before you put them in the drive.

wow looks like three of us agree … me with fresh load and then future and now you cloak …total reload would do the pc good cause of registry entries and everything else that could be there … hidden from normal view …

my personal opinion on this one …ME was worst microsoft came out with …I usually downgraded to 98 or upgrade to XP … .just so much better than ME but hey that is just me

hey cloak my doggie is cutier in that ugly kind of way …he loves scooby snacks too hehhehhe

just playing

Vamp
make sure they back up stuff you intend to keep or if you know how to do it make sure !!

WinMe was a horrible thing MS did the pc community

Oh and by the way Gio - the Snausage company makes scooby snacks now, My 2 dogs love them…

Originally posted by vampia88

lol, ok what is the long arm of moscow? lol sounds weird :confused: lol

it cost me $196.88 including gst new zealand dollars (yes im a lil kiwi he he) which was for 3.5hours labour. they said it took alot longer than that, but they didnt actually have to sit at the comp while it did its thing.

im having bad luck lately lol. crosses her fingers

That’s kinda like " the Russian spy ring has finally reached you ", lol.

Yep, it took me about 5-6 hours to recover my former 40GB harddisk’s data -
luckily that happened last summer and I just went swimming while the FinalData took over the PC.

Hopefully the trend is broken now. Crosses his fingers for her :smiley:

wow boskin…

shocked it took that long …heck i got all mine in an hr and it did it like a normal tree … like my computer when you go threw that way …I was impressed first time I used it …i tried other cept the one you mentioned and never got as much as I did and my company I wrok for they are always delete happy lol …

oh it was forty gig drive too …it was fdisk and formatted by user … dont know why he did it but he did …

Originally posted by giovanni42104

shocked it took that long
“Slowly but surely” - as they say. :bigsmile:

Besides, I forgot to mention that the HD had been formatted before I run into the FinalData.

Anyway, I’ve already added the GetDatBack to Favs. Thanks for the tipoff ! :bow:

no prob boskin …it does it quick … and i have gotten back all kinds of data …they make one for ntfs and also FAT … and works really well …I was shocked …every other program i used didnt make it look like going into my computer and seeing all directories …it made so virtual number and you had to guess …big headache for my company til we found this and got saved us over 2000.00 dollars … i work on goverment stuff hehhehe and they wanted to ship it off … but hey works great …just install it on good drive and then hook up bad drive and then just make a run on it …let me know if it works good for you …I know me saved me plus got me nice raise hehhehe

Originally posted by giovanni42104

…it does it quick

…they make one for ntfs

me 2 :wink:

Once again :bow: :bigsmile: