CD to MP3 with Win7?

vbimport

Many years ago I converted many of my CDs to MP3 using Easy CD-DA Extractor on my old XP machine. I haven’t really used CDs since then, but have now aquired a few new ones at concerts that I would like to digitize. Do I still need Easy CD-DA Extractor with Win7, or can I do this with Media Player or another built in Win7 tool? Or are there any new freeware apps that could be used instead?

You can use EAC, dBpoweramp, foobar2k, even iTunes or WMP if you like…More than one way to skin a cat!.

Thanks, after reading around I donwloaded EAC and Lame - will give it a try.

Another vote for EAC and foobar :slight_smile:

If you prefer something with an user interface more similar to Easy CD-DA Extractor, then use fre: ac, that is free and also available as portable software (i.e. no installation is needed).

Consider FLAC for compression. It’s lossless. Depending on your purpose for squishing CD audio, it may offer some things that MP3 does not, like the ability to re-convert to WAV with no loss of quality.

Very light and does everything http://www.freerip.com/

[QUOTE=CDan;2601148]Consider FLAC for compression. It’s lossless. Depending on your purpose for squishing CD audio, it may offer some things that MP3 does not, like the ability to re-convert to WAV with no loss of quality.[/QUOTE]

This type of post really annoys me.

Someone asks about making mp3’s, presumeably for playback on a portable device and SOMEONE always chimes in with a suggestion for FLAC.

FLAC is a lossless compressed codec that is primarily used for Archiving.

What next I ask where to go to get the best steak and you tell me I don’t want a steak that I really want Pork Chops?

AD

But, but…but, perhaps the OP has no clue that it’s a great idea and makes perfect sense to [B]rip[/B] to a lossless format, for archiving (as you’ve noted) and use these lossless tracks to convert from lossless><lossy or lossless><lossless formats…
Makes sense to me…That’s exactly what I do…
No need to re-rip your CDs again, if later on you find out that you want/choose a different lossy format to rip/convert to…
I don’t know, maybe give the “Pork Chops” a chance…Sorta speak…:wink:

Or would you have been [I]less-annoyed[/I], had CDan suggested ripping to WAV?..
Just wondering, is all!..:wink:

I presume when someone asks about mp3 that they are intending to use those files directly for playback and for playback mp3 is a generally more “universal” standard

Mentioning flac is in essence changing the subject

Presume all you want…Yawnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnn!
Me, I like pork chops…Dang, there I go again, changing the subject…:o

[QUOTE=CDan;2601148]Consider FLAC for compression. It’s lossless. Depending on your purpose for squishing CD audio, it may offer some things that MP3 does not, like the ability to re-convert to WAV with no loss of quality.[/QUOTE]

I use Winrar to compress WAVs; but make MP3s to listen on PC and in CD player and car and home stereo. FLAC cannot be played in stereos or cd players… yes, very few CD players can, but most cannot.

FLAC is for archival. Playability might be even better than rared WAVs :wink:
And it is easier to create WAV or MP3 or something else from FLAC than from the .rar, since the latter need to be decompressed at first.

Michael

MERLIN666,
I just use REAL PLAYER, A free download.
ZAP:)

You know that even Windows Media Player is able to rip an audio CD to mp3? :smiley:

Michael

iTunes can do it with incredible ease.

You could also use Freemake which also has a video converter in it. I love the program.