CD to MP3 Software

Ive been using AltoMp3 cd 2 mp3 software for yonks, and now wondering if there is anything else better?

Just want to dump my cd collection in good quality onto hard-drive to use, a:in my car ( mp3 pioneer ) and also MOS 20gb player.

Like good quality sounds and have plenty of hard-drive.

Many thanks

Woolie

you can use itunes, you can encode in mp3. (you must import as mp3 )
preferences, importing mp3 encode and you can choose the bitrate.
try and see if you like

http://users.pandora.be/satcp/eac00.htm#-
Use the long guide and you can find a new version of LAME (the encoder) here:
http://www.rarewares.org/mp3.html (Go with the latest stable bundle)
//Danne

I have downloaded EAC and while many features that appear to make this a powerful tool, it seems to convert very very slowly (30+ minutes per CD!) and while compresses the files, keeps them as wav, and not mp3 files. Like gwoolie, i want to convert all my cds just ONCE, into usable but very high quality mp3s, even if at a high bit rate with large files.
Can anyone help?!

Hi,[quote=nikolaki1976;2109348]I have downloaded EAC and while many features that appear to make this a powerful tool, it seems to convert very very slowly (30+ minutes per CD!)[/quote]This depends on the drive you are using and the read mode that is set. And of course on the performance of your system.

and while compresses the files, keeps them as wav, and not mp3 files.
This is a matter of EAC configuration, too. You can change this in the options if you want.

Michael

Great ripper and all around tool is Easy CD-DA Extractor

CDEx is a good all around ripper too. Has CDDB (actually FREEDB, iirc) auto tagging, error correction and uses LAME. I tried EAC quite a while ago, but have ripped most of my 600+ CD collection using CDEx.

use this guide to make 100% perfect rips with EAC,
http://jiggafellz.isa-geek.net/jiggafellz-step-by-step-guide-to-secure-cd-ripping-with-exact-audio-copy/

Another option for CD to mp3 ripping, perhaps not as exacting as EAC, is [B]foobar2000[/B].
I’m using v0.9.5.5 with the LAME encoder 3.98 at 192 kbps and happy with it.
foobar can encode to many other formats as well if you have the encoders installed.
It’s relatively simple to use and fast and a good audio player as well.:slight_smile:

I have reattempted EAC after everyone’s configuration advice, and after reconfiguring as per the website guide link provided by creative_nick, and still excessively long ripping. I am using a 1.6 core2duo cpu and 2gb ram laptop. I’m wondering if i need to set up on a desktop instead and see if i have more luck. Incidentally, i tried media player’s ripper that does 320kbps rips and it ripped one of my cds in no time. I have yet to compare the two mp3 versions from different ripping media on my sound system, but interested if anyone has any take on the media player ripper?? Many thanks

The primary key to getting decently fast rips using EAC is to test and set the drive options.

Accurate stream - frankly, if the drive cannot do this, then get a different drive to rip with. If this is true, then the drive can reposition accurately on audio., if not true, then the software must backspace and then match up on each read request.
Caches Audio - this is an unwelcome feature, as it means countermeasures must be taken to ensure a fresh read is made in reread tests. The current method is to read from further back than is needed, so the wanted piece is flushed from the cache and must be read again.
C2 error information - the key to fast/safe ripping, without this, every read will be doubled and compared, with this, the read progresses until the drive indicates an error.