CD to DVD?

Us there a guide onto converting an orginal game which has 4 cd’s 2.6 gb into 1 dvd?

Most of the time its just a case of simply copying the file a disk at a time to a temporary folder retaining the same layout and then burning the result.

ie files in “Data” folder to “Data” folder, etc.

such as :-

CD1:
setup.exe
\Data\install1.cab

CD2:
stuff.inf
\Data\install2.cab

Copy them to a temporary folder and and end up with

setup.exe
stuff.inf
\Data\install1.cab
\Data\install2.cab

Label the DVD with either the label of the 1st CD (or the “play”/key disk), you might have to experiment here.

Problems which can occur:-

1. If the CD is copy protected then all your going to be able to do is create a non playable/usable install DVD. Note there are a very few installers which check for disk protection during the install and will simply refuse to start installing from either a CD copy or DVD compilation.

2. Some installers require certain disk labels during install, as a DVD can only have 1 label your usually stuffed in this respect, although if its only 2 CDs then using the label of the second disk usually works best.

3. Some installers will ask for the next disk regardless of if the files are available, usually clicking OK or such will let the install continue. While this isnt a major problem it does stop you creating an unattended install disk.

4. A few programs have duplicate filenames on each disk with different content in each, unless you can edit the contents yourself to merge the files (such as cab files) and the program doesnt do anything like a CRC check on those file then again your going to have problems.

If there are duplicate filenames with the same content (you may want to check with a SFV or other checksumming tool) you can usually get away with using the copy from CD1.

i remember there was a guide that worked and it had all games that worked with this method

if you find away to copy cds say to or more to dvd post it iam curious to know thanks

Has anybody come up with a method for doing this with Half Life 2? I have the 5 cd set, but I would like to put it all on a DVD-R.

Any help on this is appreciated.

is there any other other guides especially for taking a game with 2 cd’s with same .dbd files getting them to merge correctly on 1 dvd??

Has anybody come up with a method for doing this with Half Life 2? I have the 5 cd set, but I would like to put it all on a DVD-R.

Any help on this is appreciated.

Create a Temp folder on harddrive. Name this folder ‘HL2_DVD’ (without the ‘’) This will be the Label of our DVD.
Copy all contents of CD1 to this Temp folder.
From CD2 copy just two files! The ‘cab’ file (hl2.CAB) and the ‘installer.dll’ file to the main directory of the Temp folder.
From CD3 copy the ‘hl23.CAB’ file to the main directory of the Temp folder.
From CD4 copy the ‘hl24.CAB’ file to the main directory of the Temp folder.
From CD5 copy the ‘hl25.CAB’ file to the main directory of the Temp folder.
Also from CD5 copy the DirectX folder to the main directory of the Temp folder.
Now download and install ‘Orca’. Once Orca is installed go to the Temp folder and right click the file ‘hl2.msi’ and from near the top of the menu choose ‘Edit with Orca’. (You may have to edit the properties of this file to make it read only, but as it is copied to the harddrive it is probably already edited automatically)
When opened you will see 2 window panes, go to the ‘Tables’ one on the left and scroll down to ‘Media’
Click on ‘Media’ this will show you the entries in the Right pane. There will be 6 columns.
Change all the entries in the ‘VolumeLabel’ column to HL2_DVD
Then ‘Save’ it. (You can also use a program called ‘Masai Editor’ instead of ‘Orca’)
Now burn to a DVD using Nero using the Label HL2_DVD.

does anyone know how to take the soldier of fortune II game cd’s and make it onto a dvd? Ive ripped both my sof cd’s using alcohol. I have them in iso format now, ive extracted all the contents of the cds using magicIso and now ive made a new iso with both cd’s extracted into a folder but the installer will not detect the other 700mb files from cd 2 that were placed into the cd1 folder with the .pak files. The setup refuses to see additional files unless cd2 is mounted or placed in the drive…i cannot find anyway to bypass the 2 cd install method… :a

does anyone know how to take the soldier of fortune II game cd’s and make it onto a

Ive ripped both my sof cd’s using alcohol. I have them in iso format now, ive extracted all the contents of the cds using magicIso and now ive made a new iso with both cd’s extracted into a folder but the installer will not detect the other 700mb files from cd 2 that were placed into the cd1 folder with the .pak files. The setup refuses to see additional files unless cd2 is mounted or placed in the drive…i cannot find anyway to bypass the 2 cd install method…

This may help.

http://www.fileforums.com/showthread.php?t=74262

nice find syrus, exactly what i was looking for! Thank You!