CD to CD recording

Please bear with me Im a little new at this. I had a CD-RW drive added to my first computer and to create CD compilations I recorded CD to CD. My new Gateway computer has the combination CD-ROM and CD-RW drive so I have to rip the CDs first before I can record my compilations. I burn my Cds with Music Match at 192 KBS. I think the Cds recorded from CD to CD sounded better than the MP3 CDs. Would I get better sounding CDs by adding a 2nd CD-RW drive to my computer and recording CD to CD ?

If I understand well, you read the original with MusicMatch, at 192 kbps, then burn the result ?

The loss of quality comes from the compression to 192 kbps MP3. You must read the original without compressing it. The best programs for this are

The latest PlexTools, for Plextor drives only.
EAC (http://www.exactaudiocopy.de, for all drives) : the only one besides Plextools capable of detecting if your CD is scratched and if the reading skipped.
CDEX (http://www.cdex.n3.net/, for all drives), much less secure than EAC at detecting scratches, but sometimes prefered, a matter of taste. Might succeed to read scratched CDs that EAC can’t read.

Whatever you use, you must get wav files from your original, not MP3. Those wav files can be burn without loss of quality.

Are you talking about audio cds with .wav files or data cds with .mp3 files? Are these cds meant to be played in a stand-alone cdplayer? Or do you only want to play the cds on your pc?

Audio Cds in MP3 format that I use to play in my car stereo. It sounds like I should be burning in the WAV format instead of MP3.

Ok, let me summarize your problem:

You burn mp3 data cds you play in your car cdplayer (which must mp3 capabilities of course, so somewhere on the display of your car cd-player are the characters ‘mp3’). These mp3 cds cannot be played in your regular stand-alone player, like the cdplayer in your livingroom, or like a discman.

The above information gives the following burningproces:

read orginal audio cd (.wav format)
convert to mp3
write mp3’s as data to cd

You used to do this with cd-copy, so you converted your audio cd on-the-fly to mp3 and burned it at the same time. <- This is possible when you read slow and have a fast computer.

Then you are talking about soundquality… Soundquality for mp3’s has to do with the bitrate used. 128Kb/s is considered near cd quality. 192Kb/s is considered cd quality. You complain about the sound quality of your 192Kb/s mp3’s. For your mp3’s the used bitrate is high enough, so the only sound problem can come from a bad orginal cd. If you have a scratched orginal cd, use EAC in secure mode to read the cd. These quality problems can not be solved by using an extra drive…

Hmmm… somehow I have the feeling I still don’t understand your question… hope you can do something with the information I provided. :smiley:

Thanks for the info. Will I get a better sounding CDR if I use WAV recording format rather than the MP3 format I have been using for my compilation CDs for my car?

A normal audio cd is always in .wav format. When you rip and convert the .wav files into mp3, you lose information during the conversion. The amount of information lost depends on the used bitrate. Like said: 128Kb/s is a compression ratio with such a loss of information that it results in ‘near cd quality’. 192Kb/s is considered ‘cd quality’ so unless you have a very expensive car stereo you should not be able to hear the difference between the orginal audio cd and the 192Kb/s mp3 file.

Got it, Thank you !

There is still something about which I’m unsure : are you making MP3 CDs that have 12 albums compressed into one CD for MP3 players, or just 74 minutes audio CDs for CD players ?

Originally posted by Pio2001
There is still something about which I’m unsure : are you making MP3 CDs that have 12 albums compressed into one CD for MP3 players, or just 74 minutes audio CDs for CD players ?

Yep, was wondering about that as well… :slight_smile:

I am making 74 min audio Cds for a high quality car stereo. I like to make personal greatest hit Cds from my CD collection. I have never used the WAV recording format , so Im creating a 74 min audio CD now from the WAV format to see if there any difference from the MP3 CDs I have made.

OK, this is the right way. Always use wav. You can delete them after burning anyway.

Perhaps I’m missing something here, but if your goal is simply to duplicate the audio cd, don’t convert the tracks to mp3 just copy the cd. If you don’t have a separate cd-rom drive, you can have the software make an interrim copy to your harddrive.

Originally posted by Metalgeez
Please bear with me Im a little new at this. I had a CD-RW drive added to my first computer and to create CD compilations I recorded CD to CD. My new Gateway computer has the combination CD-ROM and CD-RW drive so I have to rip the CDs first before I can record my compilations. I burn my Cds with Music Match at 192 KBS. I think the Cds recorded from CD to CD sounded better than the MP3 CDs. Would I get better sounding CDs by adding a 2nd CD-RW drive to my computer and recording CD to CD ?

Thanks for the help. From now on Im using the WAV recording format . I dont care about having them saved to the hard drive so I can delete them when Im through recording.