CD testing

vbimport

Since today I have this new DataTrack cd's. I ordered them at shop.cdfreaks.com. Now my simple question is: how can I check if the CD's are good and how do I test them properly ?

Any answers would be nice. Thanks in advance all !!

Burn one (or more) disc and then use the Scandisc funtion in Nero CD-Speed 2000 and do a surface-scan. If it’s all green they are good.

Thank you. Good tip. Works great that tool. Didn’t really use it before. like you probably see now :bigsmile:

But 3,86% is damaged. Is that normal ?

Well, is it the last block which is damaged? :slight_smile:

last block ? as in really the last piece of square I see ?
Then the answer is no. With the CD I’m talking about now, there are some blocks (yes, at the end almost) wich are yellow, so damaged. Between the yellow squares, there are some green blocks as well.

But with if it was the last square ? Is that good ? :slight_smile:

Just got a load myself a few days ago and they are fine, burned about 60 and checked everyone with CDrInspector and no errors.

I checked and they are made by Plasmon Data, so seem pretty good to me :wink:

Originally posted by Airhead
Burn one (or more) disc and then use the Scandisc funtion in Nero CD-Speed 2000 and do a surface-scan. If it’s all green they are good.

I have a question. I am using scandisc but my file scan doesn’t seem to work. Only surface scan does.

Why do you think it does not work ?

Originally posted by Airhead

It can be all green but slow-down badly during testing - in which case I would cast the media in a bad light.

Ice’y

Icey: You have a “newer-model” litey, don’t you? That slowdown would be a yellow sector on most other writers.
That’s because of Lite-On’s Smart-X technology. It detects the adverse media conditions, and, as such, reduces read speed, thus “avoiding” most of the errors. The yellow sectors are only shown in the liteys in extremely bad conditions, like, a lot of C2 close by.
This make the litey’s theorically better at accurate reading of bad CDs, but I never made any real tests to prove it. Other brands and older liteys would yellow those sectors, and they should be treated by you as if they were yellow if they cause slowdown.

whenever i use cdspeed on any data cdr not audio i get a red damaged block right at the end and i was wondering if that is normal

Virtua Trancer: Yes, that’s normal, odd, but normal, nothing’s wrong with your disc. It seems either some odd bug in CD-Speed or some sort of “disc-end” block, but rest assured that no files are in this block on the disc. It happens with some recorder/firmware combinations (?), and the burn quality is uninfluenced by it.

Originally posted by Fallen
Icey: You have a “newer-model” litey, don’t you? That slowdown would be a yellow sector on most other writers.
That’s because of Lite-On’s Smart-X technology. It detects the adverse media conditions, and, as such, reduces read speed, thus “avoiding” most of the errors. The yellow sectors are only shown in the liteys in extremely bad conditions, like, a lot of C2 close by.
This make the litey’s theorically better at accurate reading of bad CDs, but I never made any real tests to prove it. Other brands and older liteys would yellow those sectors, and they should be treated by you as if they were yellow if they cause slowdown.

No, I have a Plextor 241040a :slight_smile: - I only get slowdowns or yellow sectors with the latest batch of 400 DiskRites I bought (older ones were good, this batch are absolute crap).

Media International did not really want to know - I sent some back with a letter - they checked a few with scandisk printed results - this does not show slowdowns which are attributable to C2 errors are they not?). They are not the newer Diskrites that come in 100 packs but the 50 spindle cyanine SKC type.

About 2 in 5 or 6 burns are good - the others show a slowdown when all green or they may have yellow sectors apart from slowdowns. Every single one of the now 160+ Mitsui SG Ultra II’s I have burnt are perfect - no slowdown, no bad sectors, and NO red sector at the end - as stated in other threads, getting rid of nero (clean registry) and reinstalling 5.5.8.0 direct rather than upgrade got rid of that - don’t know why, but it did. We get the red sector occasionally in work, but I never get that at home now.

Plextors are far too fussy with Media - the newer 40x does not even support Mitsui’s officially - but it does support Kodak which is almost dead now (hard to get!!!). This fact alone would suggest Plextor really need to change their policy on supported media to work with most good media like Lite-ons, yamaha’s, etc.

All this new fangled firmware, powerec, calibration - for what, just so that it will work correctly on a few media types - pathetic, things were better than this 3 years ago - what is Plextor up to?

Oh, and I have used other types such as Philips, Kodak, TDK, etc with no problem in my 24 pleccy, and the DiskRites are troublesome in 3 writers - crap media - don’t by them! Media International have a bad name for both myself and my company - who will never touch their stuff again - good customer service eh!

Ice’y

Icey: Odd, I didn’t expect this kind of behavior from the Plex. It might be a bad batch, very odd, especially if another batch worked for you.
I had great luck with the SKCs before, but never at full speed, only at 16x or so. Which speed are you using to burn? The blue SKCs tend to be bad at 20x+ speeds in my experience.

I used to think that every slowdown was attributed to C2-errors, but now I’m not so sure… My burner (LG GCE-8320b with 8400b firmware for 32x P-CAV burns since no 40x media is available) doesn’t slow down on most C2 errors, (But if it DOES slow down it won’t speed back up) (A bad Fornet Phthalo disc that was C2-full almost fooled me because it always read at full speed even though it was full of damaged sectors) so I wouldn’t find it totally strange if your Plextor slowed down when it met a lot of C1, just like a couple burners I’ve seen. Anyway, I wouldn’t

Yes, unexplainable, but I’ve also gotten rid of the red block by making a clean install of Nero.

Plextors really should have better compatibility with media, that’s the only thing they’re lacking, they’re great drives otherwise.

I’d have to agree that Plextor made better drives in the up to 24x era, they weren’t media-fussy and were absolutely great performers, the new 40x is way too hard to find media for.

Hi,

I can’t get my 241040a working in DMA mode (it worked fine in DMA mode for a week, now Win98SE has sulked and it will not allow the dma option - it is just not there)!

So, I burn mostly at x4 and occasionally at x12 (never higher than this). I thought mid-range would be best for writer / media combo, but as per the cd scans shown elsewhere in the forum, the pits seem best on quality media at slower burn speeds - fine by me - I can wait 20 minutes in the burn will last many years.

Also, I always run a Scandisk & Quality check - things may work but it is best to see what state the burn has resulted in.

Ice’y

you people might wanna ask vitua trancer for a .zip file that might help you out here.

Originally posted by Massive
Why do you think it does not work ?

LOL… monkey see monkey do? If I knew I won’t be asking around. Anyway, I just found out.