CD Speed ques

vbimport

On neros cd speed i scanned a disc once and it had surface errors, i scanned it again and yes it had the errors but it displayed it in a different place on a different bit of the graph…then when i checked the film in divfix it found no errors on the film but i could tell by watching it that there were errors judging by the amount of blocky picture.

Why Did CD Speed do this?? keep displaying different bits of bad surface on the graph on different bits??

and why did it pick up no errors on divfix cos its the cd thats knackered not the film??

Also if i keep running cds thru that program can it cause wear on them??

yeah so if anyone could reply…

No.

Yeah, it would help if you specified your drive model and the media ID code.

Pioneer 107D dunno about media code??

i think i figured the probpe, out anyway because the cd is so badly screwed u can just tell by looking at the back it had trouble reading so just picked up unreadable bits when it couldnt read the cd properly.

Am i right, i’m probably not…

AFAIK divfix will fix broken/corrupted avi files.

The blockiness can be a result of transcoding from avi to mpeg.

Possibly you got a bad cd. you can find the MID code in nero CDspeed by choosing Info
from the EXTRA menu.

RmF

I looked at the back of the cd and it was all wierd there was the back of it of where it had been written and all these lines of the same colour of the back of the disc they looked like mountain shapes…lol

or u know those hospital machines that measure peoples lives there were spikes of green on the back like that.

Actually watching the film it seemed very jumpy and its original that i left on the other pc wasn’t.

The cd was wirrten a year ago on a silver topped cds i heard this media only lasts a year and i stupidly wrote it at full speed.

Doing error checks on nero it came up with different results everytime one time the yellow blocks would be at the bottom of graph then the top then the middle…is this cos the cds so messed up when the writer struggles to read the bad bits on the cds it will just display yellow blocks on the graph…am i right??

So isit the cd thats messed up.

The Media Code is: 97m26s66f

sounds like you have a bad cd or the data is corrupted based on the scan results.
since you have the file on your pc your not SOL and can burn another cd.

on the cd media info is the manufacturer CmC or CmCmagnetics?

RmF

cmcmagnetics mate

that brand isnt very good. i had some music cds i backed up to Imation(cmcmagnetics) cd-r and they didnt last very long.

RmF

ok cheers for the reply i said in the other forum msg fuck it to cd writing man i think just networking and backing up movies on hard drives is better ey??

Hard drives are not more reliable than optical media. Read the sticky threads and the FAQ in the media forum and use quality disks for your backups. What quality media? See the media forum again for numerous threads where the media in the UK is discussed. A little research never hurt anyone =).

What could go wrong having movies backed up on hard disk rather than cd??

the bad things about hard drive back up is:

Over Heatage
Virusage
Spywarage
Fragmentationage
Sectorage
Clusterage
and over heat age all of which i think can be solved…

Overheating can be solved with fans.
Virus - Anti Virus
Spyware - A Spyware remover
Fragmentation - A Defragment
Sectors - Spinrite or something
Clusters - same prog ^^

Can u think of anything else thats bad having movieage on hard drives??

Drop a CD… now drop a hard drive!

Written optical media is likely to “fade” over time - a good write on good media will last longer than a bad write on poor media. But it takes some actual physical damage (a hard-floor drop can crack / chip or seperate layers, but most optical media should survive a carpet drop).

On a HD, data fade is unlikely during the realistic working life of the drive, however, it is vulnerable to shock, static, magnets, and electronic/mechanical faults.

HD backup will beat optical media, until the HD fails.

Other than magnet vulnerability, there’s a lot to be said for tape backup, a tried and tested technology where the limitations and vulnerabilities are much better understood.

Another issue…
A BACKUP, suggests that you still have the original, and that you should be making new backups on an appropriate cycle - the backup has to be reliable for the time between, lets say TWO backups.

An ARCHIVE, suggests that you are putting away material for some time, and may NOT have the original copy available. So the demands are greater - Archives should be duplicated initially (preferably on different media in case of media batch problems), and should be reverified at suitable intervals, generally copying onto current media as well and adding to safe storage).

where u said Written optical media is likely to “fade” over time what do u mean, do u mean the films on the cd will fade in the same way a video would?? or is that impossible as this is digital… say if i backed up a film and the disc wears out would i get jumpy, and pixelation but it cant wear in the same way a VHS tape would where it fades after a while??