CD Speed Errors

I have a question that I haven’t been able to find in searching anywhere, and I’m sure if somebody has seen it, it would be in this forum. Here goes.

I am using WinXP and LiteOn LTR-40125S with VS0N firmware, (the latest), and Nero 5.5.9.14 Software, also the latest version.

There is an interesting thing I always notice, no matter how old the CD I burned, even CD’s burned with other burners.

Running a test using Nero’s CD Speed, the “CD Quality Test”,
here is how a normal test looks, in the absence of an actuall screenshot, which I wish I could show you.

First, it (the green line) starts reading at 14x, moves quickly up to 24x, then gradually makes it’s way up to the end of the data on the CD, depending on the size of the CD, usually it will end up at 48x or so. Anyways, the thing is, right around position 57.00.00, the speed always takes a slight dip, the green line lowers just a touch, oh, around the 45x speed mark I guess you could say. Quite often there will be a yellow line too showing up there, and a few errors. Usually, well actually always I can use the CD, and install all my programs, etc. So no problemo right?

I’m just curious about that little dip it makes at that position. Again, doesn’t matter about the media, or what speed it was burned, which program burned it, or even which burner had burned it.

I’ll add one more thing, my DVD reader, also a LiteOn, LTD163D (latest firmware), gets alot of errors in CD Speed, a bunch right around the same position the burner does in tests, and some scattered around the disc and it seems to be random errors, often tests on the same disc will be different results. However, that position 57.00.00 will always cause read errors in the test. Installs on the DVD are no problem either.

Any ideas? I’m not having any issues with installs, so it’s not like I’m in trouble here, I am just curious about my weird tests I’m getting, or if anyone can explain it…

Thanks…

This is a reading anomaly in the drive, does not indicate a quality problem. Many people see that, I get it only some of the time.

Originally posted by rdgrimes
This is a reading anomaly in the drive, does not indicate a quality problem. Many people see that, I get it only some of the time.

Thanks rdgrimes, good to hear that there is nothing wrong with my drives!

:smiley: