CD set won't organize in iTunes

vbimport

Hi guys! I have a couple of audio books I’m attempting to load into my iTunes library, one at a time. However, after having ripped the third CD, I notice that the tracks are not appearing in sequential order. What the heck is going on?

Does chapter 11 appear after chapter 1 (instead of chapter 2 after 1)? If so you need leading zeros (001, 002, 003, etc.).

No, the trouble begins when I attempt to rip the second CD. The tracks from the first CD will proceed as track 01, track 02, etc., but then when I rip the second CD in the series, the first track of THAT CD will appear under track 01.
Like this>>>
track 01
track 12
track 02
track 13
Then, of course, they play in that very sequence! I’m gonna snap!

you need to individually tag each disc as “disc 1 of 4”, “Disc 2 of 4” etc…

It usually helps to tag them properly if you have previously saved individual subfolders under the folder for the main title.

While you are at it tag them for track order along with the file name, because for some reason iTunes won’t
itunes is to me “annoying” because of issues like this.

BTW, “TagScanner” current version is V5.1 build-594 is available (free) online from many reputable downloading sites (I use cnet)

AD

[QUOTE=AllanDeGroot;2565324]you need to individually tag each disc as “disc 1 of 4”, “Disc 2 of 4” etc…

It usually helps to tag them properly if you have previously saved individual subfolders under the folder for the main title.

While you are at it tag them for track order along with the file name, because for some reason iTunes won’t
itunes is to me “annoying” because of issues like this.

BTW, “TagScanner” current version is V5.1 build-594 is available (free) online from many reputable downloading sites (I use cnet)

AD[/QUOTE]
I’ve tried tagging them, “track 01A”, "track 01B…“01” being the disk #, and “A” and “B” being the order of the track on the disk.
I just want to keep them in order, if nothing else. Of course, it would be very nice to make the list of the entire series more searchable.

When I say “tag” I am refering to “meta data” that is imbedded in the file by programs like iTunes and windows Media Player" OR by specialized programs written specifically to modify (or indeed create) that meta-Data

Which is why I specifically recommended TagScanner 5.1

Which you can get here:

Using it is more or less intuative, but if you have any questions just ask.

It DOES edit the tags of most common compressed audio files and I’ve used it to add or modify
tags on WMA, M4A and mp3’s

Itunes and WMP usually show the files according to tagged meta data.

Even though the file names indicate another order those programs place ordering preference on the tags.

The simple route to a difinitive solution is edit those tags.

Thank you.
…and yes, my eyes have glazed over, and I’m totally lost.
YOU WROTE: "you need to individually tag each disc as “disc 1 of 4”, “Disc 2 of 4” etc…"
How would I arrange that on the itunes interface?
Say I’m ripping a series of disks called, “How to Train Your Iguana”.
There are seven disks in the set.
Would I create a playlist called, “HTTYI”…
Rip the tracks on the first disk…
Create a folder in the playlist called HTTYI - DSC1…
and include the tracks in this folder?
Would the creation of a separate folder per disk keep everything separate, but far more accessible?
Is “playlist” in iTunes simply another name for, “Folder”?

I know how to download off cnet.com, but how do I use tagscanner?

I’ll interleave my replies in color

[QUOTE=diskbliss;2565606]Thank you.
…and yes, my eyes have glazed over, and I’m totally lost.
YOU WROTE: "you need to individually tag each disc as “disc 1 of 4”, “Disc 2 of 4” etc…"
How would I arrange that on the itunes interface?

Don’t allow iTunes to organize your files, organize them before iTunes gets a chance to screw them up. I don’t let iTunes organize files…
because as you’ve discovered, it does a less than stellar job…

(I’ve previously had to format a drive and copy from a backup drive after itunes was done…)

Say I’m ripping a series of disks called, “How to Train Your Iguana”.
There are seven disks in the set.

what yu do is first create a catch-all folder called "Audio"
then under that you create “Music” and "Audio books"
think of them less as “folders” as "file cabinet drawers if you can accept my midification of the metaphore of “folders & Files”

Then in each folder create further subfolders for "Artist (or “author” as the case may be) and under that each “Title” (album or Book)
and under that you seperate it by Disc (simple, disc 1, Disc 2, etc…)

So for example in my Case it would be
G:\mp3 Library\Led Zeppelin\The Box Set\Disc 2\ 015 Stairway to Heaven.mp3

you’ll need to set your extraction software to create appropriatly named folders, I use Exact Audio Copy for all my extraction from physical CD’s and do my creation of compressed files as a seperate operation

And my EAC is set to automatically create the nested folders based on artist/disc/track

Would I create a playlist called, “HTTYI”…
Rip the tracks on the first disk…
Create a folder in the playlist called HTTYI - DSC1…
and include the tracks in this folder?
Would the creation of a separate folder per disk keep everything separate, but far more accessible?
Is “playlist” in iTunes simply another name for, “Folder”?

I’m not entirely sure what a playlist in iTunes does, I usually use Windows Media Player for playing back things on my computer

I know how to download off cnet.com, but how do I use tagscanner?[/QUOTE]

To use Tag Scanner first you need to “Browse for files”

but you need to do some basic setup of the program first

with TagScanner downloaded, installed and opened go to the little question mark at the top right of the screen. when that page opens cligh the “tags” tab and look for the top item under special tag settings and set
"write unicode" to “Never”

the reason for this is if the files are tagged with unicode, and later burned to burnable media and played back on some car stereos (particularly Sony, Alpine or JVC) the tag information will display as gibberish.

I find it simpler to not write tags as unicode, NOT using unicode is never a problem.

as to the actual Nuts & bolts running of tag scanner it might be better if we exchange phone numbers via PM and I talk you through it
rather than each of us get carpal tunnel for all the typing…

BTW, TagScanner is also useful as a “Search” program to find audio files on a hard drive
I wind up doing a lot of file recovery and if I set it to search an entire drive for audio files it finds them…

Telling it to browse an entire hard drive can take some time, but it finds ALL the compressed codec files

AD