CD-RW was wiped out?

I made a cd-rw for dragging and dropping files in Roxio with windows XP.
one day i put it in and it won’t read the cd. in either drive. it tells me to install UDF reader???
I do and now i have 3 files on a cd-rw that had half of it filled with web pages and tons of pictures. I can no longer access anything on the disc but this UDFREADER. it even replaced the name of my cd with UDFREADER.

Please!!! can someone help me get the files that were on the disc???

download
for Roxio UDF Reader . if you have this already , then visit for more information …

so your saying the disc reformatted itself and if i get this reader i can then view all the files that were/are still on the disc?

Originally posted by scottearth
so your saying the disc reformatted itself and if i get this reader i can then view all the files that were/are still on the disc?

If you have not formatted the disc , you can use UDF reader to access to the files in the cd .

Roxio’s UDF Reader for Windows 95/98/NT enables some MultiRead CD-ROM drives to read UDF formatted CD-RW discs (such as those written with DirectCD) under Windows 95, 98 and 98 SE, Windows NT 4.0 SP3 or higher, and Mac

the cd was already formatted useing roxio to drop files. it was taken out, then when i put it back in, it didn’t work. a box poped up saying to install udf reader and repleaced the cd name with udfreader. i did nothing to the disc. it somehow was reformatted or renamed. all i know is, i can’t access anything that was on the disc.

so, do i have to install a udf reader? from what i know, windows xp and roxio already has it. yet, i still can’t access anyhting on the disc.

I ran disc recovery and the files that were “recovered” were all Rael One files! I don’t think there were even real one files on the disc! over 2000 real one files to be exact.

I’m totally stumped!

Originally posted by scottearth
[B]the cd was already formatted useing roxio to drop files. it was taken out, then when i put it back in, it didn’t work. a box poped up saying to install udf reader and repleaced the cd name with udfreader. i did nothing to the disc. it somehow was reformatted or renamed. all i know is, i can’t access anything that was on the disc.

so, do i have to install a udf reader? from what i know, windows xp and roxio already has it. yet, i still can’t access anyhting on the disc.

I ran disc recovery and the files that were “recovered” were all Rael One files! I don’t think there were even real one files on the disc! over 2000 real one files to be exact.

I’m totally stumped! [/B]

i think it would be a lot better if you could explain things in chronological manner and tell me what data recovery did you use?

cdrw was formatted for drag and drop thru direct cd, using windows xp, roxio basic 5

used the cdrw for about a year, no problem

put it in to use it yesterday and it wouldn’t read

a box pops up saying to install udf reader from roxio. i say yes (i thought it was an updtae or something)

the cdrw name is then changed to UDFREADER. that’s what it says is the name of the cd.

I tried to recover the files thru direct cd. it gane me the files, all 2900 of them, but they’re all “real player” files. i can open them in differant programs, but none of them are named. they’re #'d from 1-2900 so i have to try every program i have untill one of them matches what the file is. There were 3 web pages on the cdrw. 2000 of the files could be very minor.

is there no way to access the files correctly?

what the hell is this udf reader and why would it take over my disc?

roxio supposedly has a udf reader in it, but i can not read anything on the disc that was there before.

thank for your efforts to help!!

scottearth
I think the UDF file system has been damaged on the CD-RW. Try ISO Buster - it has an option of Finding missing UDF files and folders. Read it’s manual, and you’ll find a complete description of the process.
HTH

Scottearth;

The same thing just happened to my CD-RW disc with about 500 snapshots from my digital camera. Did you ever figure out how to recover your original files. (Using “scandisc” recovered only about 20 pics so far).

try Smart Projects–IsoBuster

it good for geting data off unreadable cd