CD-RW vs CD-DVD for music

vbimport

Hello Everyone,

I’m using NERO on an older socket 478 that stays off line. Music is imported to it. The OS is Win98se with all the official and unofficial updates. I bought a CD-RW burner (TEAC) that was old stock and had never been used - New in box. Unfortunately I get a few faint skips or droputs when I burn CDs for the Onkyo (2007) player in the livingroom. Damn it - another coaster.
Is a CD-DVD burner a more precise piece of hardware that will give me better results ? I’d appreciate an answer to that and some brand name suggestions. Can’t break the bank though. Yeah, I know I need to upgrade my OS to at least Win 2000

Thanks for your time … AR :doh:

Hi and welcome to the forum :slight_smile:

The most probable causes of this are two: you are using recently produced discs, and is highly probably that a very old burner doesn’t have the correct writing strategies for these discs. Being an old drive, is very improbable that a firmware update will be done.

The second possible cause is that you are burning these discs at the wrong speed. For audio CDs, is better to burn not more than 16x, or jitter will be too high and some picky CD reader can refuse to read these discs.

Thanks for the reply and welcome,geno. Sounds like you’re saying the CD-Rs of today aren’t the same as the older ones. Poor quality ? Almost a different format ?
Might it be possible to get (notice I said might) around these problems with a newer burner and OS ? Thanks again.
Alan

Hey Alan,

As geno suggested, try updating the firmware of your Onkyo burner. Not sure what model you have, hopefully you will see it here:
http://www.us.onkyo.com/download/software.cfm
Hopefully this will fix any incompatibilities you are having.

What blank disks are you using?

Hi, … The CD-Rs I use are Maxell. The Onkyo isn’t a burner, its the CD player hooked up to the (beautiful gold 1975) stereo in the living room. The [U]burner[/U] is an unused TEAC made in 2004. Updates ? Are you kidding. Companies just want to sell more, more, more. It’s all about money. I do think I need to update the OS though.
Also, my neighbor said I would probably get better results imaging my files before I try to burn them.

CEO >>>> :bow: $

Oops, sorry, I missunderstood
Try and update the firmware for your Teac by downloading the appropriate file from here:
http://www.firmwarehq.com/TEAC/drives.html
or:
http://files.rpc1.org/index.php?act=category&id=1586
If you can’t find your model # there, let us know what it is and hopefully we can find an update for you.

After you have updated the firmware, try to burn an audio CD at 16x max and see if you hear any improvement. Hope this helps.

[QUOTE=Glasspolish;2584985]Thanks for the reply and welcome,geno. Sounds like you’re saying the CD-Rs of today aren’t the same as the older ones. Poor quality ? Almost a different format ?
Might it be possible to get (notice I said might) around these problems with a newer burner and OS ? Thanks again.
Alan[/QUOTE]

Recent media have not a different format, but they use a different dye so the burner must use different laser power. Every media use a slightly different dye, so it is necessary a different writing strategy for every disc.

Old drives doesn’t contain writing strategies for discs manufactured in more recent times, so they usually doesn’t support correctly newest media.

It is not necessary to change operative system, but you need a more recent burner if a firmware update is not available to cope with the most recent media :slight_smile:

The only alternative is to find older media, but it is very difficult, and also risky because you can get ugly discs (for example if these were badly stored) or higher prices.

A new burner is certainly the cheapest solution :slight_smile: