CD-RW ISO9660 Defect Managemet possible?

vbimport

Hello everyone, new member here. After months of searching online forums I seem to be at the end of my rope here.

Basically here’s what I am trying to do. I have a 2010 Sony car stereo that plays MP3 CD-RW’s, but I’m looking for some way to use defect management on my burned CD-RW’s. At first I thought this would be easy as it’s such a simple task on newer file systems and lots of other people might also be trying to do the same thing as me. The stereo isn’t that old so I was thinking I’d support some newer file systems that aren’t 15+ years old.

Here’s what I have to work with. The stereo only plays CD-R’s or CD-RW’s, but only recognizes the old ISO9660 format. I tried UDF 1.02, 1.5 and up and it spits the disk back out and says no music.

I have a Samsung SH-183L DVD burner that supports Mount Rainer but it seems Mount Rainer formats the disk in UDF 1.02.

I tried Nero IN-CD which has excellent defect management support but it doesn’t seem to have any options to format the disk in ISO9660. Also IMGBurn can make a disk using the ISO9660+UDF which works in the car stereo but doesn’t seem to do anything about bad sectors.

I’ve just started reading about the newer Mt. Fuji Group specs but I’m not sure is that will be of any help to me.

The stereo seems to be very sensitive to any scratches at all on the disk and will skip or freeze if the surface isn’t near perfect. Also transporting disks to and from the car and changing them while driving doesn’t scratch them too badly but enough to make the player have a fit. I don’t load a lot of music on the disk (maybe about 50MB at a time, and overwrite them often) so space is not an issue, I just need a way to format out the bad sectors.

If anyone has any input please let me know. Thanks!

udf on CD-R/W…what a madness. No one needs that, especially not with AUDIO!

[QUOTE=EvonTrizmo;2719325]Hello everyone, new member here. After months of searching online forums I seem to be at the end of my rope here.

Basically here’s what I am trying to do. I have a 2010 Sony car stereo that plays MP3 CD-RW’s, but I’m looking for some way to use defect management on my burned CD-RW’s. At first I thought this would be easy as it’s such a simple task on newer file systems and lots of other people might also be trying to do the same thing as me. The stereo isn’t that old so I was thinking I’d support some newer file systems that aren’t 15+ years old.

Here’s what I have to work with. The stereo only plays CD-R’s or CD-RW’s, but only recognizes the old ISO9660 format. I tried UDF 1.02, 1.5 and up and it spits the disk back out and says no music.

I have a Samsung SH-183L DVD burner that supports Mount Rainer but it seems Mount Rainer formats the disk in UDF 1.02.

I tried Nero IN-CD which has excellent defect management support but it doesn’t seem to have any options to format the disk in ISO9660. Also IMGBurn can make a disk using the ISO9660+UDF which works in the car stereo but doesn’t seem to do anything about bad sectors.

I’ve just started reading about the newer Mt. Fuji Group specs but I’m not sure is that will be of any help to me.

The stereo seems to be very sensitive to any scratches at all on the disk and will skip or freeze if the surface isn’t near perfect. Also transporting disks to and from the car and changing them while driving doesn’t scratch them too badly but enough to make the player have a fit. I don’t load a lot of music on the disk (maybe about 50MB at a time, and overwrite them often) so space is not an issue, I just need a way to format out the bad sectors.

If anyone has any input please let me know. Thanks![/QUOTE]

Not sure what exactly you’re trying to accomplish. You have burned CD-RW’s containing MP3’s, and a car stereo that handles imperfect media poorly. Most likely you would do better copying these disc to CD-R as they would probably be more easily read on a car stereo. All CD-standard data discs use the same CRC-based error recovery mechanisms, and these operate at the sector level regardless of file system used for the session.

There are defect-management systems like DVDisaster which work at the ISO level (http://dvdisaster.net/en/index.html) but that is for data recovery, not realtime playback on dumb equipment.