CD-RW decision

vbimport

Hello all! First timer here. I'm looking to purchase a CD-RW and I have narrowed down to two. LG 8320B, or the Lite-On 40125S. any opinions or input appreciated.

I’m a litey fan

24102b love it, love it, love it:D does exactly what it say’s on the box!

don’t know about lg8320b had 8080b:Z no longer!

Nothing can beat Litey:) I am absolutely love mine!!!

I just bought the newest Liteon and Ive enjoyed it so far. Copied Morrowind (safedisk 2) flawlessly.

Thanks for the help. I am going to purchase the LiteOn 40125S. It also comes with Nero which is a bonus. Thanks again:D

Tuzzi,
You can get it from Ebay for around $80 to $90.

I got mine from newegg.com for $83 plus $7 shipping.
They are one of the highest rated online stores for computer parts (despite thier odd name).

Thanks for the info Gorky! I should have posted question of where to get this with best price before buying it! I paid $92.00 with $15.00 shipping on Ebay.
Oh well, my drive is working very well as I expected anyway.
I am happy.:smiley:

Thanks for the info. Unfortunately Newegg doesn’t ship to Canada. It’s too bad, they are one of the best, if not the best on- line retailer.

I too am trying to decided between these 2 drives.

What I have worked out so far:

They can both be OC’ed (LiteOn 40->48; LG 32->40 )

Both (once OC’ed) use P-CAV.

LiteOn is has 2MB buffer and Mt.Rainier support
LG has 8MB buffer and (maybe) Mt.Rainier support? See ref:
LG-Australia Website: 32x CD Rewriteble Recorder - GCE-8320B

The LiteOn is faster in all respects, but cost a bit more.

The LG is cheaper and (aparently) better at ripping CD Audio:
http://www.digital-inn.de/showthread.php?threadid=9884

To quote some of the statements made by Halcyon in the EAC forum thread above:

…Sony DDU1621 and LG GCE-8320B passed all tests. All others failed at least once …

Plextor UltraPlex 40 is NOT a very accurate DAE ripper under scratched conditions, when compared to the current best out there (Sony DDU1621 or LG GCE-8320B)

…from a practical point of view of rip speed and rip quality, those two drives LG and Sony are the only ones that produce consistently the same CRCS from one rip to another while others get different CRCS for even the same track on two different rips. …The other drives tested (including LiteOn and Plextor models) did NOT pass this test for accuracy (CRC, consistency, audible accuracy) or rip speed when it comes down to scratched discs.

From another thread on (Hydrogen Audio):
Project Mayhem - best drive for ripping?
I saw this statement from Halcyon:

…Well, I’m sorry to say, but in terms of accuracy LiteOn does not shine. I wish it did, as it’s a wickedly fast ripper.

Doh! I was almost sold on the LiteOn drives after the reviews here and at CDRLabs. Now I don’t know which way to go.

Can anyone help clear things up for me? Experiences with either/both drives?

Would it be worth getting say the LTD-163D just for ripping? -Does this drive have any major advantages for ripping? (eg better with protected disks than LTR-40125???)

Should I move this post to the general forum?

thanks

peleton.

One thing you gotta remember is that to lots of people on these boards, one pixel off means it sucks way worse than 100% hehe. i other words, people here are gunning for perfection. I doubt for most people you would notice any difference. This is talking about audio rips anyway and for most people im sure the lite-on works fine and dandy. If perfect audio is your golden fleece, then go with one of the other two. The lite-on however is best for ripping games (well, one of the best)

Originally posted by Gorky
One thing you gotta remember is that to lots of people on these boards, one pixel off means it sucks way worse than 100% hehe. i other words, people here are gunning for perfection. I doubt for most people you would notice any difference. This is talking about audio rips anyway and for most people im sure the lite-on works fine and dandy. If perfect audio is your golden fleece, then go with one of the other two. The lite-on however is best for ripping games (well, one of the best)

well said.

and just to add a little bit on… ASUS have a really good reading ability. (but auido protection cannot be bypassed) (i dont know the details of the audio protections because we dont have any audio protections in the land of Oz :smiley: