CD-RW and DVD-ROM

I recently had a virus on my compaq presario and I believe that it destroyed the drivers for my two CD Drives. When I go to the device mananger it says, “Driver file missing of corrupt” or something similar to that. I cannot use my windows CD to re-install the drivers due to the fact that I have no CD Drives. I am running Windows XP, my two CD Drives are:

–> HL-DT-ST CD-RW GCE-8240b

–> DVD-ROM GDR-8160b

I have tried uninstalling them and restarting windows and there is still no luck. Can anybody out there help me? Thanks in advance!

Try contacting Microsoft, or look around on there website. Since you know what your problem is they should be able to help.

Put the XP cd in the drive and re-boot. Ensure the computer boots from the CD - Then chose the repair option. This will put the CDRom drivers back.

Good Luck

Bill.

[Edit by Dee-ehn]Don’t call other people morons!!! Especially not when they are the ones that spread the good information and you’re the one that’s full of nonsense…[/edit]. He can’t use the Win XP CD because it can’t see his drives because the drivers are missing.

Originally posted by Alexstarfire
Wild_Bill incase you just missed what he was saying ur a moron. He can’t use the Win XP CD because it can’t see his drives because the drivers are missing.

Alex, this is a PUBLIC warning to you. You have already been warned for your behaviour and guess what… this is your second warning…

That you are spreading wrong information here is one thing, but calling other people morons because they are telling something you don’t agree with… that goes to far… I’ll talk about this to my colleagues, but if it was up to me, you’d been banned by now…

BTW, Alex, you are very wrong. Although Windows doesn’t recognize the optical drives anymore, the BIOS does (as it seems). You don’t need any drivers to boot from CD, as your BIOS provides this functionality. So Wild_Bill, you made a very good suggestion there… and please don’t feel insulted about what Alex said… k?

Originally posted by Alexstarfire
He can’t use the Win XP CD because it can’t see his drives because the drivers are missing.

When you boot from the XP CD it puts the drivers in from the CD! not the faulty OS - But this was covered by Dee-ehn (Thanks).

Thanks god I did not see the moron bit!

Well thnx for correcting me. From what he had said it seemed like he couldn’t see them at all, sry for the mistake.