CD-RW and DVD-rom wont work

I hope this is in the correct section. i have searched and tried every fix i can find. i have Primary IDE Master: WD 80 gig HDD, Slave: Samsung DVD-ROM SD-612. Secondary IDE Master: WD 80 gig HDD, Slave: Optorite CD-RW CW5205. Cables are known working, jumpers are set according to there location( I also tried CS). and every imaginable configureation of master/slave.

The issue is the 2 optical drives.  Explorer (WINXP) sees the optical drives, and Dev manager shows no issues.  i cannot view/install/burn anything in either drive.  the system just hangs until i eject the media.  if there is media in the drive on boot XP will also hang untill i eject the drive.  when i say hang i dont mean complete freeze, it just gets very choppy when i move the mouse etc, and XP does eventually boot with no errors.  

Tonight i tried a full format, and reinstall of WINXP, i can boot from cdrom with no issue, i could install XP from cdrom with no issue, but i still cannot view any media in those drives once XP was fully installed.  Bios sees the drive, explorer sees the drives just can not read anything from either.

Background info:  Roxio/easycd has never been near this PC.  The issue started a few weeks ago with no changes made by me.  A Rollback did nothing.  A Reformat did nothing.  

Motherboard : MSI Neo 2 platinum (MSI7025)
Ram : 2x 512 value select
CPU: AMD Athlon 64 3000+

I can provide any other additional information needed, i am completely confused at this issue.

Thanks,

Mike

i dont see an edit feature. i left out 2 things i have also tried. First the motherboard, i have tried generic win drivers for the ide controller (thats what are installed atm) also tried the nforce drivers. same issue with both. i have also disabled imapi.

i hope u get a answer soon cause i have the same problem and i tried
everything :a

Same problem?
I can’t believe that really, because I have read that so many times and then it werent the case.

So, please describe your problem exactly and don’t hijack other threads. :wink:

@MBullick,

are some drives seen in the BIOS setup? Which one(s)?
Have you tried Imgburn yet?

The issue is the 2 optical drives. Explorer (WINXP) sees the optical drives, and Dev manager shows no issues. i cannot view/install/burn anything in either drive. the system just hangs until i eject the media. if there is media in the drive on boot XP will also hang untill i eject the drive. when i say hang i dont mean complete freeze, it just gets very choppy when i move the mouse etc

plextor px-716SA and 16x dvdrom player generic

same exact problem as above that’s why i copied and pasted MBullick
problem cause i have the same problem

all drives are seen in the BIOS setup

Make sure DMA is enabled for all drives!