CD-Rs work fine, but show error on CPSpeed

vbimport

I just started testing CD-Rs with CDSpeed. I’ve burned a lot of data CD-Rs with a Plextor PX-W8432T v1.07, using Nero 5, for software, photos, etc. I’ve never had a problem reading any of them. Yesterday I used CDSpeed to test two CD-Rs I wrote (same data, different brands CD-R).

ScanDisk test: No errors.

Disk Quality Test:

• Both CD-R’s produced the same error messages.
  • Reading with the Plextor PX-W8432T: “No reference position found (030600)”
  • Reading with a Matshita DVD-ROM SR-8585 reader:
    Most times, the Disk Quality Test wouldn’t start (nothing happened after the Spin Up Drive ended). But twice the test did run and I got this: “Illegal mode for this track (056400)”.

What’s going on? Both CD-Rs work fine.

Thanks,

Mick Ruthven

Hi mwr, welcome to the forums.

I’ve looked at the error codes as posted on the Nero CD-DVD Speed homepage and it reports this:

56400	ILLEGAL MODE FOR THIS TRACK
  The software is using a command which is invalid for the type of disc
  (for example using a data read command on an audio disc).

Which version of Nero CD-DVD Speed are you using and which ASPI file? It could be that your drives are not properly supported by this software. Since the ScanDisk function finds no errors I would think your discs are ok. You could simply verify this by copying the contents of the disc to your hard disk with any of your drives. If this works, the disc can be read all right.

Edit: Just realized that you’re using the Disc Quality test. This test only works with the devices listed on this page. Your drives are, unfortunately, not supported. Before you ask, I don’t think there is any other software available that you can use to measure the amount of errors on your discs. The PlexTools software only works with the Plextor Premium and Plextor PX-712A drives.

>Just realized that you’re using the Disc Quality test. This test only works with the devices listed on this page. Your drives are, unfortunately, not supported. Before you ask, I don’t think there is any other software available that you can use to measure the amount of errors on your discs. The PlexTools software only works with the Plextor Premium and Plextor PX-712A drives.<

Thanks so much. My Plextor writer is pretty old by computer-world standards. I’ve read that the CDSpeed ScanDisk test does the same error testing as the Disk Quality test (not speed testing, just the errors), so that should be a good error test. Is that correct?

Yes it’s a good test. You could even do a standard transfer rate test with Nero CD-DVD Speed. This is a simple test which tests the drive’s read speeds. If it can read the disc at full speed then the disc is fine. I use the transfer rate test to test my recorded DVDs. I use a Plextor PX-504A drive for this because it’s not a very good reader when it comes to reading either damaged or low quality media. So, if my PX-504A drive can read the disc, it’s a good disc :wink: