CD Rom suddenly not showing up in device management/computer etc in Vista. Also won't eject

I have an Aser Aspire 3520 laptop. The other day i decided i would burn some DVD’s, but i couldn’t open the cd drive. Have tried everything and still can’t get it to work. Any ideas would be greatly appreciated.

CD Rom suddenly not showing up in device management/computer etc in Vista. Also won’t eject.

On my Acer notebook (not this 3xxx version), there is still a small pin-hole for Emergency Eject/Release. I use an unfolded paperclip to jam in that and this releases the ‘door latch’.

This doesn’t mean the drive works or doesn’t, by the way. Maybe a good vacuuming of dust will clean-up the latch-release mechanism but this doesn’t provide any other ‘health of drive itself’ indication.

Is Windows still listing the DVD Drive as an available drive?

If so, then at least its electronics are properly reporting to the computer on start-up, which is a healthy “I’m still alive” sign. But only Burns and Reads will give you that ultimate answer.

Ahh… I read your other post first and gave my tactic for the latch-release. This “does not display in Windows” means something worse.

I sometimes go into the BIOS SETUP of the computer and do a REFRESH to see if I can get drives re-identified at the base level - where the electronics of the drive are merely indentifying themselves to the motherboard’s ROM hardware table. Then I do a SAVE AND EXIT, and let Windows re-start.

If the drive doesn’t show up in BIOS SETUP, this usually means “drive failure” - electrically, electronically - something. And it’s probably time to replace it.

If the drive DOES show up in BIOS SETUP but Windows doesn’t recognize it, then I still haven’t ‘saved’ my drive, but I’ll have to do some Uninstall of that device in DEVICE MANAGER and perhaps multiple reboots before Windows will re-recognize/accept that device.

Thanks for the heads up about the pin hole Christine. Will check the BIOS setup and see if that works.

One of the quickest way people screw up XP/Vista/7 computers so that the optical drive becomes “lost” to the operating systems is by a computer owner uninstalling
any kind of disc burning software.

the nightmare I went through several years ago with my own system
when simply upgrading to a newer version of Roxio eventually forced
me to go back to a previous “clone” of my installation with the older
version left in the computer but deleting the icons to access it.

the space it takes up is not as painful as the aggravation reconstructing
the registry to make JUST the new version work

[merged threads, since they are on the same topic.]

Allan, yes, that “uninstalling the provided software” is something I neglect to remember as an important question to pose in these cases. I don’t remember if that MySonic brand was the culprit years ago - but I think that was correct. I do remember it was a stripped-down OEM-type version that somehow fixed itself to some modified driver trick.

Christine,

Not so much uninstalling provided software as uninstalling any previously installed
burning software.

I spent a week playing around with multiple “clones” on my installation
removing various software packages to find out if there was a way to remove
a previously installed copy of Roxio-pro 10 and replace it with a newer version.

The beauty of playing with “clones” is that if they are rendered useless for
any reason, it is like practicing pouring spoiled milk outside, nobody cares
if it spills or not… you weren’t going to drink it anyway.

if the old version was uninstalled first the computer “lost” the optical drive
so that the newer version (on a DVD-ROM) could not be installed… because after removing the burning software the optical drive is no longer “seen” within the OS (not even via a USB connected optical drive…)

So my “official” recommendation is that if you are installing newer
burning software leave behind the “old”, just delete the icon to access it.

In my case I eventually DID eliminate the “old” and what pressured
me to doing it was curiosity… I wanted to know IF it could be done
and HOW to do so… and it was such a complete PITA that even
though I know how to do it I don’t want to do it again.
(frankly it’s easier and less time consuming to start over from scratch with a new HDD and a Windows installation disc)

There is a lot of stuff I do purely as "proof of concept/ability/capability"
rather than doing those things because I “need” to do them.
The only “need” I had was for the knowledge of how to do it should the
actual “need” manage to present itself.

Knowing how (at my leisure) is far better than rushing through a steep learning curve at some later time (when far less convenient) when I actually do need to know… not to mention that knowing exactly what you are doing makes it possible
for you to make your doing so look “like magic” to those of the “uninitiated”.

maintaining a reputation as a miracle worker is actually more difficult most days than actually being a miracle worker.

The “clue” that you have experienced a damaged registry and that the OS no longer “Seen” the OS is indeed an OS problem is simple…

Boot the computer from a Windows installation disc but stop short of formatting the drive or installing windows… if the optical drive is "seen"
in bios and actually starts to load files to open the installer it generally isn’t a “hardware” problem with the optical drive.

For an actual hardware problem:
Another easy check is shut down the computer and install another “known good” optical drive and when you re-boot
if that drive is “seen” by the OS you know it WAS a hardware
problem, at which point you can drop the “old” optical drive in the recycling bin.

I like these two testing methods because the results are utterly unambiguous.

You get a definite answer.