Cd rom not appearing in explorer

If I’m not in the correct forum, please accept my apology. I have been going around in circles for two days now!:confused:

Friday morning I had to replace my system battery on my Dell Dimension 8400, after receiving the warning message to do so. I now cannot locate or use my TWO cd/dvd burners (D and E drives). They are not appearing in explorer. I have gone into the bios but do not know how to make the cdrom ‘available’ - it appears as not available. No instructions available.

Is there ANY advice that anyone can give me. If the results will take me into the bios or cmos settings, PLEASE give me step by step instructions. Thanks so much in advance for ANY help anyone can give me.

nhnonna in lakeport nh

@ nhnonna,

Suggest visiting the Dell Support Site and research there for information on how to correctly setup your Dell Dimension 8400 BIOS to support your two CD/DVD Optical Drives.

A suggested place to start would be the below referenced “Dell Dimension 8400 Series Manuals” Web Page Link ->

http://support.dell.com/support/edocs/systems/dim8400

Regards,
bjkg

Hi,[QUOTE=nhnonna;2408535]
Friday morning I had to replace my system battery on my Dell Dimension 8400, after receiving the warning message to do so. I now cannot locate or use my TWO cd/dvd burners (D and E drives). They are not appearing in explorer. I have gone into the bios but do not know how to make the cdrom ‘available’ - it appears as not available. No instructions available. [/quote]Normally, you need to load some default configuration after having replaced the battery. At the moment I am not sure if “Load … Defaults” options are present in the Bios of your Dell computer. So it’s a great idea to have a look into the documentation available at Dell support website (see post from bjkg).

Additionally, have a look into device manager if there are any error indicators. If so, then please report back with the reported error message.

Michael