CD-ROM forensics: RID codes

I’ve got a question about CD-ROM forensics I was wondering if some of you would be able to answer concerning an ongoing case.

My question is: if a suspect uses Linux and burns a .iso image to a CD-ROM using a utility such as k3b, is there any way to forensically trace the burned CD-ROM back to the CD burner in the suspect’s computer?

Is there a standard program out there that can read RID codes off of a burned CD?

Thank you.

Dobbs

dobbscenter, welcome to CDFreaks! :slight_smile:

A Google search produced these two programs. I don’t have any experience with either of them.

I don’t know the answer to your first question, but I found this link on the same site:

CD Text, ISRC and RID Audio Disc Display.

[ul]
[li]Displays this information when it is present on a disc including:[/li]> [li]CD Text: Contains album, track and artist names on Sony and home-produced music CDs.[/li]> [li]ISRC: The acronym for International Standard Recording Code. It is a code used to identify the recording studio and publisher of a music track.[/li]> [li]RID: The acronym for Recorder Identification. It is written to music CDs recorded on standalone CD recorders used with audio systems.[/li]> [/ul]