Cd reader/writer has stopped working altogether

vbimport

I have this Lite-on DVDRW SCHW 16335. It came installed on my computer. I used to burn cd’s all the time. Now, I can not even get the cd reader to even read my cd’s, much less burn one. It does the dvds just great. I just can not use the cd burner/reader/writer any more. Not even on cd’s that I previously burned here myself. ANY help would be greatly appreciated. Thank you,

Hi and Welcome!

from your description, the part of the laser system that deals with CD media might have died. Please get a bootable CD and see if you can boot your computer from that drive. If that fails, then you probably need a new drive.

Michael

thank you. that is what I am afraid of. i am terrified at the thought of trying to put a new one in internally, so can I get an external one for a desktop and will it affect my dvd driver that is in there now? I can not find just a cd writer by itself. is the hp one a good choice?

Hi,[QUOTE=corgiville;2478983]thank you. that is what I am afraid of. i am terrified at the thought of trying to put a new one in internally, [/quote]Do you have a laptop or a desktop computer? In desktop computers, the replacement of an optical drive is rather simple. Either there is some kind of installation instruction sheet shipped with the drive, or you can download it from the manufacturer’s website.

so can I get an external one for a desktop and will it affect my dvd driver that is in there now?
If your computer is equipped with USB 2.0 HiSpeed controllers, then you can attach an external drive. Coexistence with existing internal drives is no problem.

One thing you need to know if you don’t want to replace the internal drive:
You may not be able to boot from that unit (for example if you need to reinstall Windows). This depends on your computer’s Bios and there are also some restrictions by some Windows install discs.

I can not find just a cd writer by itself. is the hp one a good choice?
Plain CDRW drives are out-of-the market. I’d prefer other brands than HP :wink:

Michael

would you please tell me what you prefer? I have no clue on what to get. I am retired and need all the advice I can get. I have a desktop. I bought an external one already and sent it back. it was for a laptop or netbook? I did not know the difference

Hi,[QUOTE=corgiville;2479062]would you please tell me what you prefer?[/quote]I guess, you want a unit ready-to-run? Then my vote would go for a LG GE20NU or GE20LU.

Michael

who makes them? Is it simple, for I am not at all computer savy anymore. it is all over my head anymore.LOL

LG, and its very simple, USB cable you connect to your computer, and AC (power) cable to the wall outlet.