Cd-r top surface yellowing

Has anyone of you come up with a strange yellowing of the top surface of a regular (not printable) cd-r?

I’ve attached a foto to show you.

I’ve stored this cd in a normal Case Logic cd case (portable) in a sleeve, under normal condition and not under the sun: in a few words normally.

What can it be this yellowing and after all, can compromise the data integrity?

Thanks in advance.

Can’t be a good sign, make a new backup of it just to be safe.

Yeah, only my super-cheap ones are yellowing (under the brand “Smartbuy”, lol). Still readable. If it’s important to you, then backup as said.

-Evan-

I have a few that are doing the same thing, mostly memorex it seems.

It seems like some kind of aerial oxidation that is beginning to break down the polycarbonate molecularly.
It happens to be where the disc is not covered by the sleeve.

I’ve seen it on a bunch of Memorex (CMC, probably) media that I left out in the sun. That’s about it.

Hi

I have have Imations do this, I never bought them, somebody sent me some with stuff on, and I noticed light brown patches appearing, once agian cheap media :Z

Washac

Actually, I have high-quality Metal Azo MCC Verbatim’s that yellow gradually around one edge - mainly because that’s the part where small amounts of light filter in the jewel cases, but they don’t scan badly.

It’s not quite the same though - these are gradient-like at the edge, not covering a large patch of the disc.

I would try and back up the data as quickly as possible, if it is important, and avoid buying that brand again. Who is the manfacturer as told by CDRIdentifier?

I also have some Memorex-branded Infodisc from about 4 years ago turning from a pearly silver colour into a more gold one. I’m sure it’s got nothing to do with the cigarettes… :slight_smile:

Probably just a little silver in the reflective layer oxidizing, at least on top where it’s exposed to the air. A scan shows a generally shitty burn by my old Panasonic 4X CDR burner, but it doesn’t appear to be getting worse, and the edge is in better condition than the centre.

My TDKs (Ritek) were turning a shade of yellow from the original silver matte, but not nearly as bad as yours. I guess the only way to be sure of your data on the CD is to run a C1/C2 test on the CD. Nero and Plextor have great tools for checking data integrity.

More info:

Nero CD-DVD Speed: Disc Info
Basic Information
Disc Type: : CD-R
Manufacturer: : Ritek
MID : 97m15s17f
Write speeds: : 16 X
Capacity: : 79:59.73
: 703 MB
Extended Information
Usage : General
Disc Status : Closed
Raw Data
ATIP
0000 - C0 00 90 00 61 0F 11 00 4F 3B 49 00 FF FF FF 00 - …a…O;I…
0010 - FF FF FF 00 FF FF FF 00 - …

Unfortunately Nero Cd-Dvd Speed doesn’t seem to work with my Pioneer drv-105 as far as disc quality is concerned, and DvdInfo doesn’t work either when it comes to scan cds for quality (feature not yet implemented).

However it scans flawlessly (surface scan) and also the reading speed graphi is perfect.