CD-R says that my disc has 0 free space/0 used space and cant be read? Help!

I just got back from vacation and popped in a cd i put pictures on from my vacation. It says it doesnt have any files on there but i know it does because the disc had the pictures on them at the computer i used on vacation. In the properties of the disc it says there is 0 used space and 0 free space. I dont know if i finalized it or not. Does that matter? I have three different dvd/cd drives and non of them can read this disc.

Does any1 know what my problem culd be and how i coul fix it?

Try reading with IsoBuster. It may be able to recover all your data. :slight_smile:

If this disc was a multi-session disc then it might not be readable anywhere but the drive it was burned in.

You would need to finalise the multi-session disc in the drive that originally wrote to the disc in order to get it to work with one of your other drives.

Someone said to use isobuster to read it and i did and it actually read the disc and i saw my folders and picture files but it wont let me open them with the free version of isobuster. Someone mentioned imgburn so i downloaded it and the disc loaded up with imgburn and it said the disc had one session on it. He told me to close thwe session with imgburn but when i go to try and close it, it gives me some wierd error

What did I say in my previous post? :rolleyes:

You’re not going to be able to read whats on that multi-session disc with any other drive except the original drive that wrote to that disc. Which basically means you should have closed the disc in the original drive in the first place.

I can’t see how you’re going to recover that data now. :disagree: Well, maybe if you buy the full version of IsoBuster…

You said this:

If this disc was a multi-session disc then it might not be readable anywhere but the drive it was burned in.

You would need to finalise the multi-session disc in the drive that originally wrote to the disc in order to get it to work with one of your other drives.

But it isn’t generally true that you have to close multi-session CD-R media in the drive that burned the previous sessions. It might be true in specific cases, although I haven’t come across such a case myself.

So there’s no reason to use the “rolleyes” smiley at the original poster. :wink:

If you use UDF packet-writing software however, then it’s generally required to close/finalize the disc before it can be read in other computers.

@mikej3131: The computer that you used to create the CD, was it running Drag-to-disc, DirectCD, DLA or some other drag-and-drop software of the packet-writing type? If the answer is “yes”, you might have to either close/finalize the disc in a computer where the same software is already installed, or if you have the software available then install in on your current computer.

I don’t think the FreeWare version will read UDF packet-written discs, but it’s possible that the shareware version of IsoBuster can read such discs, although I haven’t tried this personally.

I made my comments based on my experiences with multi-session CD-Rs. I couldn’t get any of mine to read with any other drive except the drive that wrote to it.

Imgburn said there was only one session on it, not multiple. And also, isobuster does read this disc and i can see my folders and pictures wghen i load the disc into isobuster. But when i right click on the picture and select “Extract picture.jpg”, it says i need the pro version of isobuster to do this.

I dont know if i used UDF Packet writing to put these pictures on the disc. If i remember correctly, i think i just drag and dropped them on the disc through windows, but im not 100 percent sure. On isobuster.com it says the pro version will read and extract UDF packet written discs so i might have to buy that? I just dont want to buy the4 pro version then it end up not working, you know? I know isobuster can read the disc because i saw that with the freeware version

If i just drag and dropped the pictures in windows then what software would that be considered?

Your not reading my posts correctly. I said isobuster could read my disc but it wouldnt let me extract the pictures on the hard drive. It said i needed the pro version to extract these files. I also never said it was multi-session, i dont even know the difference between multi session and single session, but when i loaded the disc in imgburn it said it had 1 session on it

It could be the builtin CD Recording feature in Windows XP, but it could also be one of the UDF packet-writing programs I mentioned.

You probably won’t remember this now, but if the CD started recording the instant you dropped the files, then you were using UDF packet-writing. If you had to click on “Write these files to CD” in Explorer, then you were using the builtin CD Recording feature in Windows XP.

hmmm i think i had to click on “write these files to cd” in explorer. Would that be packet writing, and does that not finalize a disc?

If you remember correctly, you were indeed using the builtin CD Recording feature in Windows XP, which is not packet-writing but it is multi-session recording.

You should be able to read that CD in any CD/DVD drive, but apparently your drive doesn’t agree with this theory. Do you have another pc available for reading the CD-R?

If you remember correctly, you were indeed using the builtin CD Recording feature in Windows XP, which is not packet-writing but it is multi-session recording.

You should be able to read that CD in any CD/DVD drive, but apparently your drive doesn’t agree with this theory. Do you have another pc available for reading the CD-R?
Actually i have an external liteon drive that i tried the disc on, a new lite internal drive that i tried it on and a laptop drive that i tried it on, and all of those drives can not read this disc. So i think i might have not remembered correctly how i actually put these pictures on this disc and maybe i actually did use packet writing. all i know for sure is that none of the drives i have will read my disc regularly, and i have to use isobuster or imgburn to read them. I think i just might get the pro version of isobuster and see if it works

nice! isobuster worked. thanks guys

It’s good to know that that IsoBuster solved your problem. You’re welcome! :slight_smile: