CD-R Quality Questions

vbimport

Hey peoples,
i have some questions about my CD-R's:

First of all, i've been using verbs for PSX backups for a looong time now (Verbatim 1-16x Metal AZO discs - deep dark blue) and i recently went to buy some more, however the only verbatims now available are 1-24x Super AZO discs with a LIGHT blue/green back, and the discs look lower-grade. They ARE made by Mitsubishi, but the printable surface looks grainy, and so far i've had mixed results with a VERY good iomega 4x4x24 (even the lower quality CD-R's burn well with this drive).

I'm wondering - are these new Super AZO discs (which cost more) inferior to the old Metal Azo's?
Them being 700mb should have no effect, my writer's done 700mb cd's perfectly before...

2nd question:
Does anyone here know where to get HIGH quality CD-R's in New Zealand???

3rd Question:
SONY Corp. CD-R's - are they good? or bad? or..?
made by Sony Corp, lightish blue/green back - they LOOK like very well made discs unlike some).

edit 4th question: are RiTeK made TDK's any good? I have a couple of packs of them.

any answers would be greatly appreciated, thx :slight_smile:

i can't seem to get any Taiyo Yuden discs - my best bets for quality before were Kodak (which are hard to find now aswell) and Verbatim (which i hear have gone sour nowadays).

Should i continue to buy these 24x SUPER AZO discs?

i really loved the deep blue of the old verbs.. ='(

thx,
Kyro

I’m wondering - are these new Super AZO discs (which cost more) inferior to the old Metal Azo’s?

They’re incompatible to many writers. Plextor 24x is one of a few writers which produces good discs with Super-Azo.

edit* 4th question: are RiTeK made TDK’s any good?

My 16x TDK - Ritek are really good (low C1 error rate after 2 years).
I don’t know about 40x Ritek.

Should i continue to buy these 24x SUPER AZO discs?

Not unless you plan to get a Plextor writer.

can you reccomend any other media for both my planned purchase (LG 40x) and my iomega 4x?

also, i’ve had a 100% perfect music cd burnt with the verb, fastest loader i’ve seen yet - should i wait a while see if it starts to degrade or something like that?

Do mitsubishi or verbatim still make the Metal Azo discs? - i still have some of the original Mitsubishi Chemicals 1-4x, best CD-R’s i’ve got my hands on.

thx,
kyro

can you reccomend any other media for both my planned purchase (LG 40x) and my iomega 4x?

Most writers can write to Taiyo Yuden properly.

should i wait a while see if it starts to degrade or something like that?

This can’t hurt…i have some auvistar and posttech crap media that is totally unreadable now after 3-4 years.

Do mitsubishi or verbatim still make the Metal Azo discs?

They still make 1x-16x Metal Azo.

@aluxnoe
what are the other few writers that can write super azos 24 properly ?
i have an LG 8320B and they are recommended in the manual along with ricoh and TY, fuji, cmc and fusion - wat r these last 2 ?

I know that Plextor 24x and 40x can write them, LiteOn 32123S should write them and Yamaha 3200 with latest firmware are the ones I know of.
LiteOn 40x / 48x can’t.

CMC (Imation) = cheaply made crap.

If your manual recommends them, it must have been written by, lets say, strange people.

3rd Question:
SONY Corp. CD-R’s - are they good? or bad? or…?
made by Sony Corp, lightish blue/green back - they LOOK like very well made discs unlike some).

They’re terrible discs in both my LG 16x and my 32@40x. Definitely avoidable, even worse than CMC here.

dont listen to people saying verbatim and tdk are crap. these people are only saying this because their wirters cannont handle them. alsomst all old writers eg 4x 8x love blue cdrs like verbatim. they are not very compatible with many pthalocyanine (very light green cdrs). anyway you should try and use 16x or lower tdks but not the 40x speed ones because they are pthalocyanine. i dont know about verbatim super azo with old drives. i personally have had excellent experiences with them and yes they are made by mitsubishi chemicals. add the ricoh mp7200a to the list of wirters that love super azo.

i dont know about your new planned burners compatibility but you should listen to fallen because he has a recent model LG burner.

ps. what speed are u burning at with the old iomega ??

Originally posted by cd pirate
ps. what speed are u burning at with the old iomega ??

1x, 2x and 4x (the three speeds my burner can burn :P)

i saw someone recommending against the SONY CD-R’s - have you tried these in another writer?
I also have a Sony CD-R74CN with Excellent Optical Technology made by Ricoh - a phthalo cd
these any good?

pirate, i agree with you about verbatims
i’ve had nothing but good burns with the old dark-blue Metal Azo CD-R’s

• alexnoe, do you know where to buy the 1-16x Metal Azo cd-r’s?? i would be very interested in purchasing a hundred or so

No, I don’t know where to get some. I can get them in a local store…

damn - all my local stores have stopped selling them in favour of the new 24x + super azo discs :
they claimed they are “looking for a new source” for the older discs.

@KyroWire: The Sony CDRs “Supremas” made by Sony are crap in the LG @ any speed, but the old ones “X-O”, also made by Sony, burn reasonably well at an AOpen @ 12x. The ones made by Ricoh are great discs, as are the ones made by Taiyo Yuden. The Mitsui-made Sonys are lower-standard than the Mitsui-branded Mitsuis, I’ve seen people having problems with them.

My problems with the Verbs were with the top covering… Shiny spots in some places, sticky and comes out easily with water. 16x IOmega-branded media says “Made by Verbatim” on the box, and are, as such, Metal Azos, if you can find them in your area, and they also have better top covering.

There are TDKs of any speed in any color, some 40xs are cyanine, some 16xs are phthalos, most of them are great except for the CMC-made ones and the TDK deep blue ones (which were great at <12x) (Damaged sectors on ALL the disc.)

The only person who can truly decide which media is best for you is yourself.

good luck:)