Cd-r or cd+r

vbimport

I’m new to all this as this question shows. But what is the best disc to burn to -r or +r ? Can you make copies of somethings with one and not the other? And what about booksetting can that be done on both? Thanks for any info:bow: :wink:

There is no such thing as CD+R.

(But there is such a thing as DVD+R, btw. :wink: )

As to which of DVD+R or DVD-R is better, that is a matter of hot debate. My personal belief is that DVD+R is the better choice based on its technical merits. Nevertheless, I have 3 DVD readers in my computers and only one reads +R, while all of them read -R.

I’m also new to this, and I’m facing a similar dilemma. I happened to have a +/- drive, so I can use both media. I’ve been looking for Japanese-made media, and so far only found Maxell and Fuji DVD-R. I can’t find any DVD+R media made in Japan!

I’ve read the technical document on this site regarding +/- , and it seems that DVD+R is a better standard. But does it really matter which media I use, if they produce the same result?

To put it another way, should I go ahead and buy Japanese-made DVD-R’s, or am I missing out on something by not using DVD+R instead?

Originally posted by GKnight
To put it another way, should I go ahead and buy Japanese-made DVD-R’s, or am I missing out on something by not using DVD+R instead?

Multisession on DVD+R is a lot more efficient than DVD-R. (i.e. the intra-session data takes much less space on DVD+R.)

But if you’re just burning whole discs and single sessions, I suggest you get DVD-R for its slightly higher compatibility.

You can buy Japanese DVD+R too.

Originally posted by rdgrimes
You can buy Japanese DVD+R too.

The question, of course, is ‘where?’ :wink:

I haven’t found any place in Canada that sells them except for possibly mislabelled TDK discs at costco.

And importing from the US or elsewhere is damned expensive due to fees related to importing.